Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Off to Italy tomorrow to run Lake Garda marathon.
Marathon number 9 in 2011 & 46th in total.
Well what else can you do when the Albion are not playing!

Might find you a bit off the wall sometimes you closet Crawley however, good luck SF.

TotallyFreaked

Jul 2, 2011
Off to Italy tomorrow to run Lake Garda marathon.
Marathon number 9 in 2011 & 46th in total.
Well what else can you do when the Albion are not playing!

Very impressive, do you ever stop running? I find training for one a year is hard enough. How do you stay uninjured training that much?

Very impressive, do you ever stop running? I find training for one a year is hard enough. How do you stay uninjured training that much?

Been running for 17 years. Must average at least 30+ miles per week & never once been injured. The trick as I see it, is to run as much off road as possible, have plenty of pairs of running shoes, log how many miles you do in each, never run two hard days back-back, eat well, sleep well & enjoy it!

Off to catch that flight now for Lake Garda Marathon!

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Been running for 17 years. Must average at least 30+ miles per week & never once been injured. The trick as I see it, is to run as much off road as possible, have plenty of pairs of running shoes, log how many miles you do in each, never run two hard days back-back, eat well, sleep well & enjoy it!

Off to catch that flight now for Lake Garda Marathon!

Have a great trip!

Guess its more about quantity than quality (of time), if doing that many? What sort of times do you do these days, and what's your PB out of interest?

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Well good luck and post back how you do. :thumbsup:

Walking around today like a pregnant duck, and overdid the post race celebrations last night, but chuffed with a 3'36 PB, 13 mins inside first marathon. Was holding steady 8'05 miles up to and including mile 22, then started to seriously feel it.

Said to wife on phone straight after, that's it for the marathon,and will stick to 10ks/halfs from now, but today, now the pain of that last 4 slowly fades, still keen to go sub 3'30 and have a place at Brighton.......! She wont be happy, as although I only need to reduce time by 6 mins, it will need a lot more training than the 6.5 weeks (including 2 weeks' taper) I gave Abingdon!

Not heard back from clubshop yet on the Albion technical vest I emailed them about.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Walking around today like a pregnant duck, and overdid the post race celebrations last night, but chuffed with a 3'36 PB, 13 mins inside first marathon. Was holding steady 8'05 miles up to and including mile 22, then started to seriously feel it.

Said to wife on phone straight after, that's it for the marathon,and will stick to 10ks/halfs from now, but today, now the pain of that last 4 slowly fades, still keen to go sub 3'30 and have a place at Brighton.......! She wont be happy, as although I only need to reduce time by 6 mins, it will need a lot more training than the 6.5 weeks (including 2 weeks' taper) I gave Abingdon!

Not heard back from clubshop yet on the Albion technical vest I emailed them about.

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Marvellous time, well done sir!!

I havent heard back from the club either, not sure they think its a good idea as we do.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Not heYou guys still in the North Stand?ard back from clubshop yet on the Albion technical vest I emailed them about.

Well done Sir. And I admire your attitude. With a bit of planning and targetted training you'll crack sub 3:30. All you need to do is work out where you can improve and give a little bit of time to research and specific training each week and you'll do it.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Marvellous time, well done sir!!

I havent heard back from the club either, not sure they think its a good idea as we do.

Thanks Herr/LB.

Apparently insulted the mothers of this world by trying to compare those last 4.5 miles with childbirth! Agony at the time, but the post effort elation soon banishes the painful memories so much that you are not long after prepared to go again!

The wife said I havent got a clue!!!

Croydonbloke

Palace in Sussex
Sep 1, 2004
West Sussex
You beat me by 20 secs. Did it in 41'35 last November! Had marathon fitness still in me when did it. Only an extra 95 secs less but going to take a big effort for me to ever get sub 40!
I feel the same way, to break sub 40 is a mammoth ask, it doesn't seem much but 1 min 15 secs is plenty in running terms. Good luck.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
I feel the same way, to break sub 40 is a mammoth ask, it doesn't seem much but 1 min 15 secs is plenty in running terms. Good luck.

I have told myself I shall hang up my race boots if I ever get the following set:

Sub 40 10k
Sub 1 30 half
Sub 3 30 marathon.

All are realistic targets for me at present, but have I got the drive, can I stay injury free and there are only so many hours in the day for work/family/Albion/running!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Has anyone on here suffered from lower back pain? Typically my lower back feels stiff and painful when I wake up. This subsides and disappears after about 10-15 minutes of moving around. It is more a bone pain as opposed to muscular.

I'm having weekly physio and have some exercises that I do regularly. I am confident these will work as my physio has vastly improved my knee/hamstring and an unrelated shoulder issue. But the back is very slow progress. Anyone had, or have, such a problem? How did you resolve it?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I have told myself I shall hang up my race boots if I ever get the following set:

Sub 40 10k
Sub 1 30 half
Sub 3 30 marathon.

All are realistic targets for me at present, but have I got the drive, can I stay injury free and there are only so many hours in the day for work/family/Albion/running!

I've got two of those. The sub 40 10k is the one I have tried and failed a number of times.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven

Sub 40 10k
Sub 1 30 half
Sub 3 30 marathon.

Bow down to these kind of times, note further down Herr T has got two of these.

I can do a 41 min 10K, a 1hr 40 1/2 marathon but can do below 4hrs for marathon, any advice for how I can take my times and train better for the marathon, gratefully received.

Have a great trip!

Guess its more about quantity than quality (of time), if doing that many? What sort of times do you do these days, and what's your PB out of interest?

Ran Lake Garda 3:51.
Today I did Greensand marathon. A tough trail race on the North Downs in 4:35.
10 marathons run in 2011. Just Portsmouth to go in December.
Will try & get as close to 3:30 Brighton next year, but also running London a week later!
Oh forget about Steyning Stinger in March.

I have now run 47 marathons but this is insignificant to Roger Biggs who I met today. He holds the UK record having completed more than 850 marathons.....& he is only 15th in the world total of marathons!!!

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Ran Lake Garda 3:51.
Today I did Greensand marathon. A tough trail race on the North Downs in 4:35.
10 marathons run in 2011. Just Portsmouth to go in December.
Will try & get as close to 3:30 Brighton next year, but also running London a week later!
Oh forget about Steyning Stinger in March.

I have now run 47 marathons but this is insignificant to Roger Biggs who I met today. He holds the UK record having completed more than 850 marathons.....& he is only 15th in the world total of marathons!!!

Have you done Portsmouth before?

elbowpatches

Jul 7, 2003
Cambridge
Was going to add to this but as a complete novice having completed two 10ks and one half marathon, I pale into insignificance compared you guys running multiple marathons. I think you will all agree that running is such a great activity no matter what level - I have a clearer head after a decent run and feel great.

My Great Manchester Run 54mins I was pleased with having only been running on and off for a year and beating 9 mins off previous 10k.

Bristol half marathon last year I finished in 2 hours and an agonisingly 7 bloody seconds.

I started when my dad was diagnosed with myeloma in March 2010, and wanted a challenge but knew I couldn't do a marathon so Bristol half was a great one to do. Have got the running bug but it is really hard to fit in lots of running with my job and having a 10 month old bundle of joy.

Anyway, challenge next year is to run a marathon which I have already signed up for, half in Brighton and half in Cambridge - a gentleman's marathon with a three week break between each half. This year I'm raising money inspired by my dad and now also by best man at my wedding who has been diagnosed with lymphoma; he's a 1901 club STH and a very positive person. Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery. Bloody cancer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here