Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Olympic Soccerball thread

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Why was there any debate about that being a red card ? Was Claridge saying that as the defender was goalside when he brought him down it was not a goal-scoring opportunity. That made no sense. Definite sending off and they should have had the goal as well.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Why was there any debate about that being a red card ? Was Claridge saying that as the defender was goalside when he brought him down it was not a goal-scoring opportunity. That made no sense. Definite sending off and they should have had the goal as well.

Ah - I can help with this one. Steve Claridge is thick.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Ah - I can help with this one. Steve Claridge is thick.

This. How him and Garth Crooks are employed by the BBC I have no idea.

I wonder if, moving back to the topic and focusing on the UAE vs. Poyetia game, the UAE players will be affected by the warm weather as the game goes on.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
This. How him and Garth Crooks are employed by the BBC I have no idea.

I wonder if, , the UAE players will be affected by the warm weather as the game goes on.

Soory - did Claridge actually say this?

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Soory - did Claridge actually say this?

It's a serious question - its a Muslim country, Ramadan is currently in progress and as part of that they're not allowed to consume either food or drink between sunrise and sunset (unless I've misunderstood the rules).

If that is right, the lack of water may get to them.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
It's a serious question - its a Muslim country, Ramadan is currently in progress and as part of that they're not allowed to consume either food or drink between sunrise and sunset (unless I've misunderstood the rules).

If that is right, the lack of water may get to them.

If they are actually choosing to fast. they can simply buy their way out of the obligation to fast, by paying a 'fine' to feed 60 others (for each day missed).

Like this chap, for example;

BBC Sport's Lawrence Barretto at Eton Dorney: "British men's eight rower Moe Sbihi, whose father is Moroccan, decides not to fast during Ramadan, which started on 20 July for 30 days, as he prepares for London 2012.

Instead, Sbihi will pay for 1,800 Moroccans to be fed after the Games, 60 for every day of Ramadan he missed as is written in the Koran."

Sbihi says: "It was a difficult decision, but the opportunity is bigger than just me - there are seven other guys in the boat to consider."

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
If they are actually choosing to fast. they can simply buy their way out of the obligation to fast, by paying a 'fine' to feed 60 others (for each day missed).

Like this chap, for example;

Ah right, that probably answers that one then. Cheers :)

TheBlueAndWhiteStrips

May 27, 2009
Huntingdon
Anyone watching on Virgin having picture trouble on the Olympic channels?

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
I think Gus should be looking at some of these UAE players, they look top class!

Bhafcman

1958-Forever
Apr 19, 2009
Omar Abdulrahman is bossin this game and he is only 20 yrs old, sign him up Poyet:albion2:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
How come the big nos 4 for Uruguay, is called Querwtez.

He's Bob Coates.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Japan should of had a hatfull of goals this afternoon! First shock of the tornument so far

UAE playing some great stuff and dominating the match.
It's good to see non footballing nations, with no pedigree, coming to a fore...

...Does anyone else want to finish this jape for me?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here