Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

official Le Harve thread

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Stevie_boy said:
Can you get it done after uve brought the shirt?

Ring the club shop. I think you can because they didnt have the transfer in at first.

Bakesy

Farting for ENGLAND!!!
Feb 13, 2005
How would i know?I'm pissed.
Charlies Shinpad said:
You should have been in McDaids Irish Bar last night,now that was a night to remember!!

About 100 Brighton Fans singing there hearts out to every decent record in the last 20 years and the French bar Staff loving every minute of it!
You should have been in "For Your Eyes Only" in Bournemouth last night:eek: :eek: :eek: (best stag weekend ever:clap2: :clap2: )

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
You can do Bournemouth any old time,but you can only do Albion in Europe once every twenty years,so I know I made the right choice and so did the 2 Pompey lads with us as they are well up for a few more away days with the Old men!!:drink:

Bakesy

Farting for ENGLAND!!!
Feb 13, 2005
How would i know?I'm pissed.
Charlies Shinpad said:
You can do Bournemouth any old time,but you can only do Albion in Europe once every twenty years,so I know I made the right choice and so did the 2 Pompey lads with us as they are well up for a few more away days with the Old men!!:drink:
Obviously gutted to miss it, but my mate who is getting married couldn't have his stag weekend any other time, and the best man who arranged it couldn't be talked round to having it in Le Havre..............Typical Chelski follower.
Never mind, got well hammered and the Lapdancers were something else:clap2: :clap2:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
DÃnN¥ §ëÃGuLL© said:
Match report as translated by Babelfish...

The Native of Le Havre starts the meeting timidly. Thanks to a good circulation of the balloon, Brighton create for themselves several frank occasions of which one at any beginning of meeting where one needs all the vigilance of Blondel for the danger is isolated. The last storm and the first found automatisms, the Sky and Navy under the control of a Jean-Michel Lesage already in great form take the ascending one on the match. It is besides the latter which thanks to a beautiful tallied striking of 20 meters, obliges the gatekeeper of Brighton to a beautiful flight.

Sounds like something Bill Knight might say :lolol:

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
The Wookiee said:
Is that Maxwell from Big Brother ?

:lolol:

Who was that bloke that you lot wouldn't stop singing about?

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
fatboy said:

I know. I must have heard it a hundred times during the 5 hour crossing :lolol:

Last edited:

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
fatboy said:

I wont name him for his own good,but on our first night there the bloke who was sharing a room with him got back at 2.30am ish and the said bloke was naked on his bed smoking a cigar,this freaked his mate out and he went into the bathroom and on the bathroom shelf were six condoms all lined up ready for use!!

This is all of course is on the word of this bloke who was shit faced from an all day session(0830 am ferry til 2.00am next morning)mind you what a session!!

So the next day we were all told the above story and a certain person made up a song about him along the lines of Robin Hood,and it stuck thru the whole weekend coming to a head when we managed to get hold of the microphone in the bar on the way back on the pretence of wishing Maxwell a happy 40th birthday!

Maxwell alias Smudger managed to stay slaughtered the whole weekend and should now hopefully be back in residence in Kilmarnock,although no one has heard from him since the ferry docked:nono:

Right.....this looks like the closest thing to a thread about what happened at the game :lolol:

Result was, of course, mostly insignificant, what was interesting was seeing which players have hit the ground running, who look a bit rusty and what combinations McGhee is trying out.

2-0 flattered Le Harve a lot. I thought we had good control of the game during the first half and Le Havre only had a few shots from distance which the young keeper Martin dealt with well.

When we replaced our central midfield for the second half, however, things went pear-shaped and for the opening few minutes, we kept losing the ball in very bad areas, the first Le Havre goal came from such a break with all our players committed upfield and Butters receiving treatment. The team looked disorganised and it was a soft goal.

We then settled things down and got some rhythm back but could never quite find the killer pass/finish to put the seal on some isolated bits of good work by certain players. Right at the final whistle, Le Havre's left-sided forward scored a brilliant individual goal.

The positives I took from the game was the control we had in the first half, principally due to some very fine work by Oatway, the comments McGhee has made about his fitness were borne out by the energy he showed. Carpenter was less influential on the ball but his experience and positional sense was vital in denying the younger Le Havre midfielders time and space.

The most eye-catching performance by us from a squad player definitely was Albert Jarrett, who grew in confidence as the game wore on and showed greater desire and fight than I've seen previously. It was noticeable that when he was subbed, McGhee made a big point of clapping him off and giving him a very public handshake - Albert rose to the challenge laid down by the manager on this day.

The other big plus was Kazim-Richards - who looked a class act. Lovely examples of good close control allied by great strength, one unwitting Le Havre defender got bumped off two yards during one shoulder-to-shoulder! The goal chances did not quite come excecpt for one run on goal that the Le Havre keeper anticipated well - but I will be very surprised if he is not in the team for Derby - we've got no one else up front with his combination of qualities (except possibly Virgs, and K-R's first touch looks much better).

The other player who caught the eye was Paul Reid, who made some fine runs but his height was exposed a bit in the second half when Le Havre started pumping high balls over his head for their winger to chase. Martin made one fine save but otherwise him and Sullivan had very little to do, although Le Havre did miss a sitter in the second half that should have made it 2-0 much earlier.

Elsewhere, there was a few rusty performances by our guys, the game was played in sunny weather but there was a difficult swirling wind which created a lot of problems at times - the good technique of the French players perhaps dealt with it a bit better than our guys.

I don't think Nicolas/Hammond quite stepped up to the mark set by Oatway/Carpenter either in defence or attack, and I'd be suprised if the experienced pair won't be the Derby starters in central midfield.

The likes of Knight, Hart and Mayo had the odd nice touch but were not influential. Butters survived a nasty challenge but found the windy conditions tough in making accurate passes.

McCammon looked the tired figure post-Reading game virus rather than the guy who stunned Sunderland - let's hope he can recover confidence after this below-par display.

The game was a great occasion for all of us there - there was one lively pocket of Le Havre fans but otherwise the support mostly came from us.

The pre-match/half-time music kept playing Red Red Wine by UB40 - it was a bit like that disco in Father Ted where the only record they had was Ghost Town :lolol:

Last edited:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I am glad you mentioned Jarrett as I said I thought he had a good game and no-one else agreed with me.

Jarrett certainly got the best reception from Albion fans in the grandstand of any of our guys substituted - so I think a lot of those would also agree with you. And over our side we could clearly see that McGhee was very pleased with him.

They have clearly done a lot of work with him - it was noticeable how much tracking back he did to help Kerry out. He still looks a lightweight tackler, that is true, but this is technique that can be coached.

His "end product" has often been criticised but I thought the problem particularly in the first half was more the anticipation of our guys up front rather than Jarrett's crosses.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here