Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official FALMER WEBCAM Merged Threads

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
I think that the "dogs heads" will have bearings on them which the arch is fitted to. This is good enough to hold the weight of the arch. Trouble is, if the arch was on its own, it would just turn upside down due to being on the bearings. Therefore, the temporary supports keep the arch in the required position until the roof trusses go on which will keep the arch in a permenant position when the temp supports are removed.

It's one of those jobs where everything supports evrything else and when all in position , is a damn strong erection (ooooer mrs !!!!)

I hope :facepalm:

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
The arch and roof work in tandem. They both help to hold each other up. If either was missing, it would fall down.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
I dont know any stadium I have been too with such easy access to the train station. As soon as you get off the train, you will be at the stadium. Brilliant :clap:
Walsall's stadium has its own station-can't think of any other reason to get off there!:dunce:

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
The arch goes up in three sections. If there wasn't a temporary support, the first section would not stay up. Here's a screen grab of the first section in place and the video.

[yt]T4Z-JRAnpCA[/yt]

Attachments

• temp-support.jpg
    temp-support.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 393

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Either the webcam isnt level, or my computer screen is pissed, or the temporary supports are leaning and the top capping is running downhill.:eek:

I think that the "dogs heads" will have bearings on them which the arch is fitted to. This is good enough to hold the weight of the arch. Trouble is, if the arch was on its own, it would just turn upside down due to being on the bearings. Therefore, the temporary supports keep the arch in the required position until the roof trusses go on which will keep the arch in a permenant position when the temp supports are removed.

It's one of those jobs where everything supports evrything else and when all in position , is a damn strong erection (ooooer mrs !!!!)

I hope :facepalm:

Both arches must be erected with all the steelwork in place (ie 4 stands) before the temp supports can be removed. The removal of the supports is one of the last things the steel erectors will carry out.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
The huge loads are transferred right around across the front of the North and South Stands. That's why the foundations are so big at either end.

A very unique design, a world away from most modern identikit stadiums

I know you have probably been asked this on many occasions but how do you feel Falmer will compare to stadium Mk which I assume you also worked on?

Thank you.

I know you have probably been asked this on many occasions but how do you feel Falmer will compare to stadium Mk which I assume you also worked on?

Thank you.

I wasn't with Buckingham when they did the MK and I've never been to the ground so I can't comment. What I can say again is that I've been to plenty of grounds around the country and have taken in some of the better ones outside the premiership (Leeds, Forest, Leicester, etc) - IMHO Falmer will be certainly up there with the best, and will be unquestionably #1 in design.

After the 12 / 13 years BHAFC have had (thanks for the history lesson Jack Straw and Barry Isbak!), the easiest thing in the world would have been to rush through a cheap flat pack stadium (something like Cardiff have done :laugh:) - so credit to the club for stretching the purse strings in going for something truly innovative.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
so credit to the club for stretching the purse strings in going for something truly innovative...

and for giving you a job where the weather is fantastic.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
I wasn't with Buckingham when they did the MK and I've never been to the ground so I can't comment. What I can say again is that I've been to plenty of grounds around the country and have taken in some of the better ones outside the premiership (Leeds, Forest, Leicester, etc) - IMHO Falmer will be certainly up there with the best, and will be unquestionably #1 in design.

After the 12 / 13 years BHAFC have had (thanks for the history lesson Jack Straw and Barry Isbak!), the easiest thing in the world would have been to rush through a cheap flat pack stadium (something like Cardiff have done :laugh:) - so credit to the club for stretching the purse strings in going for something truly innovative.

Excellent NJ!

Thank you, again for taking the time to awnser my anal questions.

cw00

Mar 29, 2009
Manchester
NJ, will we see any of the arches up by friday, or is this far too soon? because it looks like its nearly ready on the webcam.

Martinf

SeenTheBlue&WhiteLight
Mar 13, 2008
Lewes
Did anyone else notice the 'ghost' worker at 4.30pm today? It's definitely a ghost because when you click on 4.45pm he's mysteriously vanished!

Sep 30, 2006
Up in the Gods
A very unique design, a world away from most modern identikit stadiums

Thanks NJ. I had the pleasure of attending a CIB site visit a month or so back and seeing the steel foundations for the North East Thrust Wall certainly puts things in perspective....it was huge! (I'm no builder by the way).

Anyway, you mention unique design. It sounds great, but in my own profession this would be seen as a risk. I'm not wishing to cast doubt or seem ungrateful for the new ground (just interested in this particular point really), but how on earth do the architects etc know the arches, foundations / thrust walls / dogs heads work?!?!?!

Thanks. Fascinated of Brighton :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here