Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Odsonne Édouard

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I don’t think he was as bad as some people make out. There was a great assist for Izquierdo vs Palace but these things get forgotten because we lost.

With his salary, it’s going to be very very hard to loan him out after his US failure. People need to come to terms with the fact that he may well be in the 1st team squad next season.

Almost certainly we'll be paying the salary ... of 95% of it anyway

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Watching him last night, he seemed to like to drop deep, much in the way Harry Kane likes to do. But with our squad so packed with number 10s, do we need another?

I've seen this from a Scottish journalist.

“He can play as a lone striker but he was at his best when playing as a '10' alongside Leigh Griffiths. There's an argument he's a better supporting striker than he is as the main forward but he is also adept at leading the line with two wingers either side of him."

These stats from 2020 also back this up.

View attachment 139061

Although I have my doubts about him, I do like the prospect of having a pacey 6'2" lump up top.

This would be my worry over Edouard I think he has ability and for all the rubbishing of the SPL its not easy as Duffy found out. My worry is that he's another no.10 to go with the other 'second strikers' we have like Maupay. I think what we really need is an out and out striker, strong with pace who wants to run in behind and play off the shoulder of the defence. We have all kinds of good players who want to join play, come short and play neat 1 touch stuff around the edge of the box. I want someone in the box! Good player though I think he is I'm not certain he's the right fit for us, but then others have looked in far more detail than I ever will and if they think he is so be it. For me we need a no.9 but quick enough to stretch play a bit and stop teams pressing us so high.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I don’t think he was as bad as some people make out. There was a great assist for Izquierdo vs Palace but these things get forgotten because we lost.

With his salary, it’s going to be very very hard to loan him out after his US failure. People need to come to terms with the fact that he may well be in the 1st team squad next season.

I agree he wasn't as bad as made out on here. In fact, I think he made a more productive contribution to us in one and a half seasons than Jahanbakhsh made in three seasons.

But Ali J was nicer and didn't have obvious interests outside of football.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I think people are forgetting that Potter sent an uninjured Andone out on loan. I think he’s unlikely to the be the messiah.

I think Andone was looking to get out before Potter took over, and perhaps the interest his agent had generated and his attitude at the time meant Potter was happy to let him go, keeping him against his wishes would have created some tension. If Andone is wanting to hang around, it is a different situation. I don't think we should read too much into him having gone out on loan previously.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I wonder how many of those constantly slagging off the recruitment team for the duds have had to build teams of people in their chosen occupations and got it right 100% of the time ? It simply doesn't happen. You can do all the research, tests and interviews in the World, and still might end up with a waster. **** knows I have a few times (and so have some of my old bosses :lolol::lolol:)

Oh yes! Quite.

But then we always took new recruits on with a minimum 3 month probation period, extended it if they weren't performing and then set them free if they still didn't come up to scratch. We didn't have them hanging about like a bad smell for years paying them a goodly wedge to do a job that they couldn't do!

Therein lies the difference.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Oh yes! Quite.

But then we always took new recruits on with a minimum 3 month probation period, extended it if they weren't performing and then set them free if they still didn't come up to scratch. We didn't have them hanging about like a bad smell for years paying them a goodly wedge to do a job that they couldn't do!

I'll guess another difference is that you didn't have to pay £13m to release the from another organisation either

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
This would be my worry over Edouard I think he has ability and for all the rubbishing of the SPL its not easy as Duffy found out. My worry is that he's another no.10 to go with the other 'second strikers' we have like Maupay. I think what we really need is an out and out striker, strong with pace who wants to run in behind and play off the shoulder of the defence. We have all kinds of good players who want to join play, come short and play neat 1 touch stuff around the edge of the box. I want someone in the box! Good player though I think he is I'm not certain he's the right fit for us, but then others have looked in far more detail than I ever will and if they think he is so be it. For me we need a no.9 but quick enough to stretch play a bit and stop teams pressing us so high.

Andone ?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Oh yes! Quite.

Not always………..in banking at least probationary periods don’t work at senior levels, and trying to get rid of someone who was a mis-hire can be a nightmare (with HR usually no help at all). In football, a well as not having probation, the hiring club are also bit fooked because of the contracts - even if there is a ‘performance’ clause, it’d be extremely difficult to get rid of someone using it. You’d have to pay them off.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Watching him last night, he seemed to like to drop deep, much in the way Harry Kane likes to do. But with our squad so packed with number 10s, do we need another?

I've seen this from a Scottish journalist.

“He can play as a lone striker but he was at his best when playing as a '10' alongside Leigh Griffiths. There's an argument he's a better supporting striker than he is as the main forward but he is also adept at leading the line with two wingers either side of him."

These stats from 2020 also back this up.

View attachment 139061

Although I have my doubts about him, I do like the prospect of having a pacey 6'2" lump up top.

Saying he is better as a supporting striker, and those stats doesn't add up to me? Better with a supporting striker, seems to be what the stats say to me.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I'll guess another difference is that you didn't have to pay £13m to release the from another organisation either

Dazzer was pointing out that those of us who have recruited or put a team together in the business world don't always get it right - like BHAFC's recruitment team don't always get it right.

I totally agreed with Dazzer's point but highlighted the fact that we recruited in a different way to give us the options to dispense with somebody's services if it became apparent that they were incapable of doing the job that they had been recruited to do (or had the capability to do the job but just couldn't be arsed to do it!).

Hope that clarifies the context of my post for you.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Saying he is better as a supporting striker, and those stats doesn't add up to me? Better with a supporting striker, seems to be what the stats say to me.

Leigh Griffiths plays the no9 role, Edouard drops deeper into the no10 position.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle

It isn't as simple as that though either. No doubt Celtic play two up top when they are playing Dunfermline or whatever dross is at the bottom of the MTL these days. Away in the Champions League? One up top. The very strong likelihood is that there is a corrolation between one up top and quality of opposition.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom

Possibly? Has he burnt his bridges with the club and does he especially after his injuries have the turn of pace to play at this level? 2 questions, neither of which I have the answers too! :lolol:

I'm not convinced we've seen enough from him in his cameo's to say he's good enough although to be fair you could just as easily argue he hasn't had enough chances to judge him...

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

That sort of player is increasingly rare and will probably cost more than Eduardo.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here