Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Odsonne Édouard

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
This thread is a little example of how group think can sway an individual.

I've never seen Edouard play. At the start of the thread I'm pretty sure that everyone was pretty keen on signing him so my thought was 'he's probably a decent player, I'm in!'. But as the threads gone on more and more people have suggested he's not very good so my thinking now is 'he's probably not all that'.

I'd still be open minded if we signed him but my expectations levels would be slightly coloured until finally having seen him play.

Interesting, huh? No?

I think more people have suggested he's not very good since he signed for Palace. Earlier in the thread most people said he would be brilliant for us.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
A rather disappointing end to the window (to say the least) when one of our top threads is discussing a soon to be Palace player. I would have liked Edouard, as he's got good pedigree at youth level, although his recent form did concern me when we were heavily linked.

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
I think more people have suggested he's not very good since he signed for Palace. Earlier in the thread most people said he would be brilliant for us.

I've been suggesting he's rubbish from the beginning. Guess what, I still reckon he's rubbish, but now I hope he's even worse.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Think he’ll be decent enough but would have been better with us and our brand of football and chances created - and that’s not even getting into the training facilities and all round bigger and better club. But think it’s time for this thread to go so let’s just let it slide - I kind of wish we’d gone in for him as we seem to not be getting a striker but if he’s now part of admin cheat number 3, it’s best all round he went to the over payers…

It would also suggest we dont think he's worth £15m and isn't better than what we've got. Fwiw, I agree

Surely 15 mill is a good price, what do you get for that these days, it’s lower than a typical Championship move these days. What they are paying in wages of course we don’t know

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Wrong Fred.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Think he’ll be decent enough but would have been better with us and our brand of football and chances created - and that’s not even getting into the training facilities and all round bigger and better club. But think it’s time for this thread to go so let’s just let it slide - I kind of wish we’d gone in for him as we seem to not be getting a striker but if he’s now part of admin cheat number 3, it’s best all round he went to the over payers…

Financially, that's a risky deal for those numbers. I think they've paid too much for him and may be paying him too much. If he cannot make the step up, it will be another possible problem for them. Hopefully.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea

I think this is right. I still think he would have been a good fit for us (footballing wise), and probably better than for Palace, who create fewer chances. But it sounds like he’ll have got his £85k a week, and it’s right we don’t pay that. I do think at some point we will need to raise our wage ceiling a bit if we have genuine top 10 ambitions, but likely we need a few more Ben White style sales first a la Leicester to fund it.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
I think this is a very good signing for Palace and, if there was ever any truth in our interest, we'll regret letting him get away.

£14mil - around the amount we have typically spent on dubious punts from Holland/Belgium for a successful France U21 international who is already settled in Britain, playing in a league that isn't anywhere near Prem level but crucially is a similar style. He's a massive finisher and all-round striker, forget the last 18 months at Celtic as it's been an absolute basket case of a club (which we know more than anyone due to Duffy's successful return). I can't think of many players from Rangers/Celtic who've had a big move down south and it hasn't gone well.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Surely 15 mill is a good price, what do you get for that these days, it’s lower than a typical Championship move these days. What they are paying in wages of course we don’t know

I would get like a 100 decent houses/apartments in Sweden...

Or... numerous pizzas.

SAC

May 21, 2014
Financially, that's a risky deal for those numbers. I think they've paid too much for him and may be paying him too much. If he cannot make the step up, it will be another possible problem for them. Hopefully.

It's obviously a risk at (apparently) £15 million plus £50k a week but this is how much 2nd tier strikers are going for. I would compare him to Jarrod Bowen who cost £18 million but is (thought to be) on £95k a week at West Ham. If he signs I would expect him to get 8-12 goals a season, if he can score more than 12 then he will be sold for decent profit. If he doesn't get at least 8 goals, then he will be classed as another expensive flop.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012

:smile:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I think this is a very good signing for Palace and, if there was ever any truth in our interest, we'll regret letting him get away.

£14mil - around the amount we have typically spent on dubious punts from Holland/Belgium for a successful France U21 international who is already settled in Britain, playing in a league that isn't anywhere near Prem level but crucially is a similar style. He's a massive finisher and all-round striker, forget the last 18 months at Celtic as it's been an absolute basket case of a club (which we know more than anyone due to Duffy's successful return). I can't think of many players from Rangers/Celtic who've had a big move down south and it hasn't gone well.

I cant really think of many attacking players who has done well after that move. Well, Mark Viduka maybe but that was 20 years ago.

Other than that... Jelavic started well, turned into shit. Tore Andre Flo remains one of the biggest flop signings in PL history when he moved to Sunderland from Rangers from what was then absurd money. Gary Hooper was everyones wet dream but made very little happen in his PL season. Kenny Miller likewise. Marc Andre Fortune scored 6 goals in 60+ PL appearances. Shaun Maloney was ok I suppose. Duncan Ferguson is a legend in Everton but was a garbage player. Chris Sutton was dominant in Celtic for years and when he returned to the PL he did nothing. Same with John Hartson. And... thats pretty much it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here