Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Odsonne Édouard

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Some people seem very worried that Bissouma's value will drop like a stone next year because he'll be enterng the last year of his contract. Edouard is enterng the last year of his contract - does this huge drop in value just apply to Brighton players? - because it doesn't seem to apply when we are trying to buy! I suppose selling White for £50M has added another £10M to the asking price for anyone we're in for.
Edouard is a punt, that's for sure - but at that price seems to me to be twice as big a punt as it should be!
If he scores 10 goals for us next year he is worth at least double what we’d pay.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
As others have said, there is too much detail in the Daily Record story for it to be paper talk. They can't go this big on the major star for one of the Old Firm and get it wrong.

This marks a watershed moment for our 'local' journalists - it would appear they have got this one spectacularly wrong. I understand the desire for secrecy - up to a point - but when the story is out there with multiple sources a different approach is required.

We all know Edouard's ultimate football dream wasn't to play for the Albion but compared to wasting a year of his life in Glasgow the chance to show what he can do in one of the strongest leagues in the world must be very tempting.

Furthermore, the likes of Giroud and Benzema will be 35 and 34 next birthday and will most likely retire from international football after the next World Cup so he can put himself right into contention for the France team.

They have trusted their club source.

Time will tell if they shouldn't have.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It’s another good outcome of the Ben White transfer. We can say to players, look, if you do well and get a bid from one of the top 6 we won’t block your career so long as the club get a good deal.
Well yes but we've been doing that for years and years already. Ulloa was the last one to move upwards I think.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Yup. Leicester have the best player ID in the league and Rodgers will know him better than most. It’s hugely exciting.

It’s a potentially huge signing for us. I want to stay calm though as it’s still only paper talk. But the stories surely indicate we’ve made a bid.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Let's be clear about this - the club has lost big money over the last 2 seasons. This is not an "accountancy loss" - it is an actual cash loss. This makes the sale of a marquee player like Ben White inevitable.

People who are equating £50 mill incoming as being a potential transfer budget are dreaming. We still need to meet FFP targets and this means the club covering some of those losses with transfer sale income.

I expect that the club will be taking a longer term view, and this may involve planning for another big departure in a future transfer window, i.e. if we do splash £20 mill on a striker now I'd expect either Lamptey or Bissouma to be leaving in 2022 to part-fund that purchase. The purchase of Caicedo and the pursuit of Livramento support this theory.

The club don't post a cash flow statement, so you have absolutely no evidence to back up this is an actual cash loss. It is, in fact, an accounting number and therefore open to all sorts of manipulation.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Sometimes I feel like putting my hands up in the air
Eduoard oh I can count on you
Sometimes I feel like saying lord I just don’t care
Edouard’s got the love I need to see me through

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Some people seem very worried that Bissouma's value will drop like a stone next year because he'll be enterng the last year of his contract. Edouard is enterng the last year of his contract - does this huge drop in value just apply to Brighton players? - because it doesn't seem to apply when we are trying to buy! I suppose selling White for £50M has added another £10M to the asking price for anyone we're in for.
Edouard is a punt, that's for sure - but at that price seems to me to be twice as big a punt as it should be!

I think it's supply and demand. There aren't too many strikers around that have scored goals their whole careers, have won trophies, scored n Europe etc and are still only 23. I think good strikers hold their value.

Another factor about Bissouma is that clubs haven't got the cash at the moment, but things might be different in 2022. I could see him going in the January window.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The club don't post a cash flow statement, so you have absolutely no evidence to back up this is an actual cash loss. It is, in fact, an accounting number and therefore open to all sorts of manipulation.

You think after 16 months of Covid and no fans we haven't made a massive cash loss?

The y/e 30 Jun 20 accounts show a decrease in revenue of £25 mill - that is pretty much all received as cash with minimal scope for accounting tricks. Wages increased from the year before.

And that is a year when three-quarters of the season was "normal". The 20/21 accounts will be awful, hence the need to sell White and ship out as many large earners that no longer feature in the starting XI as we can.

Tony Bloom has not got the credit he deserves for bailing us out yet again.

Last edited:

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
I think it's supply and demand. There aren't too many strikers around that have scored goals their whole careers, have won trophies, scored n Europe etc and are still only 23. I think good strikers hold their value.

Another factor about Bissouma is that clubs haven't got the cash at the moment, but things might be different in 2022. I could see him going in the January window.

This thing about clubs not having cash....
Buendia £38 million (Norwich have already spent all of that)
Guehi £20 million
Mwepu £20 million
Sancho £78 million
Varane £40 million
White £50 million
Daka £23 million
Soumare £18 million
Konate £36 million
Gill £21 million
Etc etc

Kane 150? Haaland 150?

Still weeks to go....

Last edited:

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
Well, this is a lot detail for a transfer that definitely isn't happening...

Regardless of whether this actually happens, all you need is:

Player - copy existing rumour
Buying club - copy existing rumour
Price - make up a sensible number
Sell on percentage - again, just say 10% or something

Put in something about "the player is said to be attracted by the style of play at Potter's Brighton" or "will be guaranteed a starters position in the EPL".

I would be amazed, and disappointed at the lack of efficiency, if these websites don't have a template they can plug the numbers into and jig about a bit so it doesn't look to obvious.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ

Eh? Of course they do:-

12345.jpg

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
I could make up a story with far more detail in it than that! But the one that rings most false is the guarantee of a starting place. Does that sound at all like the Graham Potter we know?

I doubt we would say it’s guaranteed. But equally, for someone who clearly has ambitions to be playing for a top club ‘you’d need to earn the right to play ahead of Connelly’ probably doesn’t hold too many fears.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here