Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Odsonne Édouard

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
It could be that we are sick of leaks so have frozen them out. We don’t have to have any kind of relationship with them- times have changed.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
So so so so so so excited about this. He is exactly what we need IMHO and will LOVE playing with Mwepu from what I’ve seen of them both.

f18ae37b9526ef4c7254e7861d20e82d.png

The Daily Record have this as an exclusive on their front page. They’ve really really committed to the story, not some throw away rumour. I don’t think the club (along with Naylor & Owen) will comment until this one is in the bag.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
That’s an awful lot of detail for a made-up BS story.

Constant calls and SMSs from Naylor & Owen to Barber but I doubt he’d even spill half a bean until this one is in the landing net.

Sources close to the club have confirmed interest in a player - and then he’s signed - dozens of times in last few years.

Jul 25, 2021
This would be one of those signings that may turn out brilliant, but also could be another Ali J.

He's got a great goalscoring record in a lower league, like Ali J, and will command a big fee and long contract, like Ali J.

Ali J didn't quite cut it. The only difference is that Edouard is a few years younger, which is a big benefit as he has a greater capacity to learn & adapt.

I think it's worth a punt - but it definitely is a punt.

I pretty much take this view with most signings in the Prem now, especially strikers.

Unless you're spending over £100m on someone, then no one is a guarantee at this level anymore. Even a massive £40m can get you someone not good enough as Joelinton proved for Newcastle last season. The transfer market has well and truly lost the plot.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
That’s an awful lot of detail for a made-up BS story.

Constant calls and SMSs from Naylor & Owen to Barber but I doubt he’d even spill half a bean until this one is in the landing net.

I could make up a story with far more detail in it than that! But the one that rings most false is the guarantee of a starting place. Does that sound at all like the Graham Potter we know?

SimpKingpin

See the match?
Aug 8, 2020
Worthing -> NYC
Well, this is a lot detail for a transfer that definitely isn't happening...

https://www.67hailhail.com/news/rep...hton-are-offering-celtic-for-odsonne-edouard/

Screenshot (139).png

I was so sure this was all made up bolloxs. The initial articles could all be traced back to that one tweet. But now I'm starting to think there's something in it. Then again could be the agent making stuff up.

If we do get him in I just pray to the gods he's not another Locadia.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020

https://www.67hailhail.com/news/rep...hton-are-offering-celtic-for-odsonne-edouard/

View attachment 139010

I was so sure this was all made up bolloxs. The initial articles could all be traced back to that one tweet. But now I'm starting to think there's something in it. Then again could be the agent making stuff up.

That’s just a rehash of the Scottish story. You do wonder why they’d make all this up.
He is a lot better than the Locadia, obviously.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

View attachment 139010

"To end up at Brighton come the end of it would be anti-climactic in the extreme."

"We’ll see if a move to Brighton comes to pass. But for the player himself, he surely has his sights set on bigger things."

#TeamsLikeBrighton

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
This thread is quite funny now.

Delusion, desperation, crackpot conspiracy theories, it’s all here!

Seems a bit harsh?

We have two sides of “ITKs” with conflicting info. Naylor and Owen say we have “still no interest” in Edouard, the Celtic itk, the Mail and the original journo say we are making a move after their Champions League qualifier.

Myself, I have no idea. But one side has to be wrong. I don’t see too much desperation, delusion or being crackpot in discussing this.

Really?! This whole thread stinks of desperation! And all for a player who, whilst his movement and touches look good in the MTL, ultimately has scored less goals than Maupay did for Brentford in a stronger division.

And the delusion is pretty evident in some of the very funny theories put forward by people who have no real knowledge of the workings of transfer dealings but are apparently desperate for this to happen for some reason.

And crackpot conspiracy theories? Check out the poster who thinks our board are just trying to drive up the price for Palace to overpay!

… you were saying? [emoji6]

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
I could make up a story with far more detail in it than that! But the one that rings most false is the guarantee of a starting place. Does that sound at all like the Graham Potter we know?

There was a hint of that happening with White last season wasn’t there?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
As others have said, there is too much detail in the Daily Record story for it to be paper talk. They can't go this big on the major star for one of the Old Firm and get it wrong.

This marks a watershed moment for our 'local' journalists - it would appear they have got this one spectacularly wrong. I understand the desire for secrecy - up to a point - but when the story is out there with multiple sources a different approach is required.

We all know Edouard's ultimate football dream wasn't to play for the Albion but compared to wasting a year of his life in Glasgow the chance to show what he can do in one of the strongest leagues in the world must be very tempting.

Furthermore, the likes of Giroud and Benzema will be 35 and 34 next birthday and will most likely retire from international football after the next World Cup so he can put himself right into contention for the France team.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

Maupay has had a guaranteed place for most of Potters reign. Maybe Edu will take his spot.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
This would be one of those signings that may turn out brilliant, but also could be another Ali J.

He's got a great goalscoring record in a lower league, like Ali J, and will command a big fee and long contract, like Ali J.

Ali J didn't quite cut it. The only difference is that Edouard is a few years younger, which is a big benefit as he has a greater capacity to learn & adapt.

Brendan Rodgers was after him earlier in the window. He worked with him at Celtic and was trying to sign him for Leicester who, lets be honest, have far, far better attacking players than us.

There seems to be all sorts of smoke and mirrors with this rumour, and if we are in for him I agree it's a big step up from the Scottish League, but given Edouard's pedigree I think as a fan it would be an exciting signing.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
As others have said, there is too much detail in the Daily Record story for it to be paper talk. They can't go this big on the major star for one of the Old Firm and get it wrong.

This marks a watershed moment for our 'local' journalists - it would appear they have got this one spectacularly wrong. I understand the desire for secrecy - up to a point - but when the story is out there with multiple sources a different approach is required.

We all know Edouard's ultimate football dream wasn't to play for the Albion but compared to wasting a year of his life in Glasgow the chance to show what he can do in one of the strongest leagues in the world must be very tempting.

Furthermore, the likes of Giroud and Benzema will be 35 and 34 next birthday and will most likely retire from international football after the next World Cup so he can put himself right into contention for the France team.

It’s another good outcome of the Ben White transfer. We can say to players, look, if you do well and get a bid from one of the top 6 we won’t block your career so long as the club get a good deal.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Brendan Rodgers was after him earlier in the window. He worked with him at Celtic and was trying to sign him for Leicester who, lets be honest, have far, far better attacking players than us.

There seems to be all sorts of smoke and mirrors with this rumour, and if we are in for him I agree it's a big step up from the Scottish League, but given Edouard's pedigree I think as a fan it would be an exciting signing.

Yup. Leicester have the best player ID in the league and Rodgers will know him better than most. It’s hugely exciting.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Some people seem very worried that Bissouma's value will drop like a stone next year because he'll be enterng the last year of his contract. Edouard is enterng the last year of his contract - does this huge drop in value just apply to Brighton players? - because it doesn't seem to apply when we are trying to buy! I suppose selling White for £50M has added another £10M to the asking price for anyone we're in for.
Edouard is a punt, that's for sure - but at that price seems to me to be twice as big a punt as it should be!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here