Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Odeon- killing UK cinema?

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Thats the prices at the Vue near me too. It's pretty standard and by no means only the Odean.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Do what I do when attending the cinema and take your own food/drinks.

I've never had a problem doing that at the Odeon in Brighton.

I have to go from the extra-legroom seating though, simply for comfort reasons.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
I only ever go on Orange Wednesdays now. Theres no way I'd pay £7 to see a film.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Kids Club is the BROAT (Biggest Result Of All Time) - four of us (two adults, two kids) went for a FIVER all in last Sunday at the Odeon, West St.

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield
£7 for a 'standard seat to see The Cottage
£6 odd for a 'large' hotdog (seems to be standard size) and drink..
£3 for a goody bag- fruit shoot, smal popcorn and some marshmellow sweets.

no wonder the place was near empty.

is that the first time you've been to the cinema?

they've always been a f***ing rip off.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
At Cineworld
£0 for a seat for any film with the Unlimited card*
£1.25 for a bag of sweets bought from the corner shop and smuggled in

Sorted

*(Yeah you have to pay £10.99 per month for the Cineworld Unlimited card but seeing as I've seen three films this month, they're now effectively free)

mattb

Mar 18, 2008
I only go on Orange Wednesdays.

Been to the Odeon up in Guildford and it's even more pricey. Places like Norwich are as cheap as a fiver though.

Kenhead

Oct 1, 2003
Brighton
Its best to either get a cineworld pass of wait until it is out on DVD and rent it to be honest.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I have never understood people complaining about the price of the cinema. £ 7 for a night out is cracking good value. The food is optional, if its too expensive do not buy it but £ 7 for 2 hours entertainment is about the best value night out you can get. Hell its £ 25 to watch average 3rd division football for 2 hours in the rain just down the road. 90% of films lose money.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Is it technically NECESSARY to consume about three thousand calories while watching a two hour film?

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

no wonder the place was near empty.

it might have been because the film is toilet

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
Ive just booked 2 tickets for Cineworld tonight and it cost me £15.20, plus some sweets and a drink to keep the missus happy and its about £20/£25. Much cheeper than going for a meal and then a few drinks after!!

Are there no good cinemas around your way (forgive my Sussex ignorance)? I've got the GFT, Grosvenor, MacBob, Filmhouse and Cameo all in easy reach and all less than £6 to get in. They are also really enjoyable cinemas to sit in, unlike these horrible Cineworlds, Vues etc.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Going back to the late 70s the price of going to the cinema was roughly the same as watching the Albion. The cinema has probably come down in price in real terms over that period. The food and drinks are extortionate but they are optional. The only irritant is that the adverts seem to go on for much longer in recent years but you can usually time it so that you miss them.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Are there no good cinemas around your way (forgive my Sussex ignorance)? I've got the GFT, Grosvenor, MacBob, Filmhouse and Cameo all in easy reach and all less than £6 to get in. They are also really enjoyable cinemas to sit in, unlike these horrible Cineworlds, Vues etc.

You got a cinema called MacBob? :clap2:

Goodfella

North Stand Boy X320
Feb 9, 2004
Brighton
It's not the cinemas, it's the film distributors that are killing the industry, they will, and can, take as much as 70% of the ticket price for a first run film, the only way cinemas make money is on it's food/drink sales, that is why the prices are so high.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I will be showing my age here when I was courting my first wife we could go out all night,pictures,drinks,fags,for 15 shillings(75p) and still have enough left over to bus home and if not she did and I walked :lolol:

At Cineworld
£0 for a seat for any film with the Unlimited card*
£1.25 for a bag of sweets bought from the corner shop and smuggled in

Sorted

*(Yeah you have to pay £10.99 per month for the Cineworld Unlimited card but seeing as I've seen three films this month, they're now effectively free)

Not sure how you work that one out ;) Surely after three films, your cost per film is roughly £3.66. Even after ten films this month, it will still cost you roughly £1.09 per film. Even if you rounded it, to make it free you'd have to see 2243 films in a month.

Just a thought, like :)

No I'm not bored at work :D

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here