Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Odeon- killing UK cinema?

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
£7 for a 'standard seat to see The Cottage
£6 odd for a 'large' hotdog (seems to be standard size) and drink..
£3 for a goody bag- fruit shoot, smal popcorn and some marshmellow sweets.

no wonder the place was near empty.

Cinemas are for watching movies; restaurants are for eating.

I suggest you sepatate the two pastimes.

Kenhead

Oct 1, 2003
Brighton
At Cineworld
£0 for a seat for any film with the Unlimited card*
£1.25 for a bag of sweets bought from the corner shop and smuggled in

Sorted

*(Yeah you have to pay £10.99 per month for the Cineworld Unlimited card but seeing as I've seen three films this month, they're now effectively free)

Incidentally when they put your card through, it always comes up as unlimited £3.00

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
New topic: Meet The Spartans.

The trailers make it look half entertaining but it's been SLAMMED on IMDB with a 2.2/10 from 16k voters, which is truly dire. I'd planned to see it but now I'm not so sure; however as the Unlimited card has already been paid for, it's not going to cost anything more to see Spartans.

Has anyone seen it and is it as shite as people are saying!

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
In Lyme we only have one cinema with one screen, we usually get a new film every fortnight but invariably to make money they're always family films. At £6 each I think it's rip roaring good value and we get a break halfway through to purchase food and drinks for the finale.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I have to go from the extra-legroom seating though, simply for comfort reasons.
Why not just put your legs over the 3 rows of seats in front of you ? ???

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
The Odeon in Grimsby closed when an independent multiplex opened in Cleethorpes. I applied for a job at this cinema when it first opened in 2005 and thought I had done pretty well at the interview as I have an interest in film & tv. As I was leaving they asked for a photo so it would help them in the selection process , there were 2 blonde 18 year old girls in front of me waiting for their photos to be taken , when they undid a few buttons on their blouses to show off impressive cleavages , I knew at that instant I wouldn't be working at the cinema.

Captain Haddock

Aug 2, 2005
The Deep Blue Sea
It's not the cinemas, it's the film distributors that are killing the industry, they will, and can, take as much as 70% of the ticket price for a first run film, the only way cinemas make money is on it's food/drink sales, that is why the prices are so high.

He's right, you know!?

Not just in taking their slice of the cake but in restricting our choice are they / have they been ruining the cinema-going tradition.

(Have to admit to having a Cineworld card though for my local soulless cinema. Appalling toilets (even two weeks after opening), clueless half-witted adolescents on 'customer 'service' duty despite being, over-priced garbage for sale at food kiosks but very good value on tickets. I've been about 15 times this year so far.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
He's right, you know!?

Not just in taking their slice of the cake but in restricting our choice are they / have they been ruining the cinema-going tradition.

(Have to admit to having a Cineworld card though for my local soulless cinema. Appalling toilets (even two weeks after opening), clueless half-witted adolescents on 'customer 'service' duty despite being, over-priced garbage for sale at food kiosks but very good value on tickets. I've been about 15 times this year so far.

join the Duke of Yorks....much better films and nice coffee and home made cake.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
New topic: Meet The Spartans.

The trailers make it look half entertaining but it's been SLAMMED on IMDB with a 2.2/10 from 16k voters, which is truly dire. I'd planned to see it but now I'm not so sure; however as the Unlimited card has already been paid for, it's not going to cost anything more to see Spartans.

Has anyone seen it and is it as shite as people are saying!

One reviewer said it was the single worst film they had ever seen shown at a cinema. Life's too short to waste 84 minutes on this.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I couldn't agree more. :)

Me and the missus often pop into that pub opposite for a quick thai..and then catch a film at the Dukes. A quality night out.

I also recently went to a fund raiser for their new roof campaign...the amount of booze I consumed probably paid for the roof a few times over.

Goodfella

North Stand Boy X320
Feb 9, 2004
Brighton
Me and the missus often pop into that pub opposite for a quick thai..and then catch a film at the Dukes. A quality night out.

I also recently went to a fund raiser for their new roof campaign...the amount of booze I consumed probably paid for the roof a few times over.

Well done that man, the more money we can raise the better. :thumbsup:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
£7 for a 'standard seat to see The Cottage
£6 odd for a 'large' hotdog (seems to be standard size) and drink..
£3 for a goody bag- fruit shoot, smal popcorn and some marshmellow sweets.

no wonder the place was near empty.

Did you get a free poncho ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here