Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ocean Rooms incident NYE.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
bit of a turn up, i've always found the Ocean Rooms pretty good natured, like Escape or Zap of olden days.

Even before this horrific incident, I always thought the Ocean Rooms had a hint of violence about it. Just my impression, which may not be borne out by future events.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Walked past there on the way into work and there were a few bunches of flowers attached to a lampost. I just assumed someone was knocked down there.

simon195

Sep 11, 2007
Why carnt people go out of an eve without wanting to have a pop at someone? all this booze fulled voilence is just pointless, as ive said before all the mayhem etc going on fri sat nights up and down the country will only stop when booze is no longer...yes i know they will never ban it, but its like anything cigs etc once you do without them you get used to them, alcahol is pointless really...you can go out or do anything and have a good time without it... its just a drug at the end of the day, that takes over people and then they do things that that would nt normally do had they been sober ..

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Terrible news and I pass on my condolensces.

I've been to, and still go to, most venues in Brighton (bar West St and the Honeyclub) for gigs and club nights and I have to admit I've always felt uneasy in the Ocean Rooms. The door staff are aggresive and I really do not like the people it attracts. Too many people with attitude and agendas...and all I want is a drink and some good music.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
¤DãŃn¥ §êãGüLL¤;3283498 said:
It attracts a lot of Londoners

It also attracts people who are not really into the music (or music at all). This in itself is not an issue, but I've specifically gone there to see some specific DJs before (Erol Alkan, Jo Jo De Freq and a few others who I cannot recall) and the crowd has been full of bods so obviously incongrous to the music on offer it has been a big problem.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
RIP, dreadful news.

I often park car outside there for an evening out especially if gig at Dome/Komedia/Corn Exchange.

PG

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Having lived for many years outside this country, I'm ashamed that Britain has such a lot of malcontent and violence as a part of the 'culture' here.

I don't know how anyone who lived in the US can say that. We don't have a record of violence in this country. According to United Nations figures, we are 46th in the international league table of homicide per capita - the 8th lowest in the EU (the US is 24th).

Much sympathy for the lad that was killed but I too hope his killers get put away for a long time but this was an exceptional attack, we don't have a high crime rate in this country.

shoreham moonraker

Apr 11, 2009
Terrible news and I pass on my condolensces.

I've been to, and still go to, most venues in Brighton (bar West St and the Honeyclub) for gigs and club nights and I have to admit I've always felt uneasy in the Ocean Rooms. The door staff are aggresive and I really do not like the people it attracts. Too many people with attitude and agendas...and all I want is a drink and some good music.

Exactly my sentiments, alongside the honey club. Fuelling a south american economy doesnt help.

HarryNT

Kele is God
Dec 15, 2009
Ocean rooms is a shit club with always a hint of violence and distaste around the place. If you are willing to keep your mouth shut then you will be fine though.

Oct 25, 2003
i've never understood the mindset of people who go out looking for trouble

i'm not like that at all, so maybe i'm just naive............just can't see the point really? what's wrong with just going out and having a good time?

as for the ocean rooms.......never really liked the place, always seems to have an odd atmosphere in there.......plus when i was 17 i used to get in even if the bouncer knew i was underage, just "cos it's not that busy tonight"

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Exactly my sentiments, alongside the honey club. Fuelling a south american economy doesnt help.

This is the issue with the Ocean Rooms and always has been. The bar staff and bouncers are all coke heads hence their bad attitude, this passes on to the customers. Hence wrong atmosphere.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Perhaps a little blunt, but I have long been amazed at the things that go on in there and the police turn a blind eye. Working in a similar type of business really opens your eyes to stuff the average punter won't always notice.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Can't remember ever going into the Oceon Rooms. I usually walk past it, look up, think "what a cockhole" and keep walking. Guess I was right.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Perhaps a little blunt, but I have long been amazed at the things that go on in there and the police turn a blind eye. Working in a similar type of business really opens your eyes to stuff the average punter won't always notice.

Completely agree I work in the industry as such and I had a friend who had a good job in one of Brightons more famous clubs and he felt pressured into leaving purely because he didn't feel comfortable with the drug culture amongst the other managers and the owners.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Surely in every club and many pubs staff and especially managers are on the powder day and bloody night?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here