Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Obscure film recommendations

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011

Glory
Amazing film from 1989. Morgan Freeman,Denzel Washington, Matthew Brodrick.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Clue
Silence of the hams (quite bad, but my friend and I put it in our so bad it's good)
I'm Gonna Git You Suck
Phantom of the Paradise (70s Musical)
Nightwatch and Daywatch (a couple of russian vampire/supernatural movies)
Happiness of the katakuris (described as the texas chainsaw massacre meets the sound of music)
One Night at McCool's
Camp
Romance and Cigarettes
Repo The Genetic Opera

Dogtown and Z boys - Old Skool skaters Peralta and Alva show the yoof of today where it all came from....great soundtrack too

The Believer - Henry Beans document of a young mans descent into violence,
disturbing stuff

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus
There Goes My Baby, 1994. Comedy drama about a bunch of school leavers in a rich suburb of LA in 1965. Features the Watt's riots, fears about Vietnam and a whole bunch of other issues. It was released 4 years late because the company that made it (Orion) went bust. One of my favourite films ever but made a huge loss at the box office. Hugeluy underrated IMO with one of the best soundtracks ever.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Maybe not quite obscure enough for some on here but I loved 'todo sobre mi madre' (all about my mother), by Pedro Almodovar, a beautifully made film that has just about everything...a death in the first few minutes, a pregnant nun, transvestite prostitute and a lesbian actress! Beautifully produced it won lots of awards but can hardly be considered mainstream, far, far better than much of the guff that Hollywood churns out.

smillie's garden

Am I evil?
Aug 11, 2003
Some nice recs. on this thread. Another one along the lines of American Movie is Anvil! The Story of Anvil. Yes it's a bit like a real life Spinal Tap in places, but it is also a story about some middle aged geezers plugging away at what they love. Even if you don't like metal music you'll laugh, and maybe even shed a tear.

Probably some people have seen the S. Korean film The Host (Gwoemul) (2006). This is a cracking monster movie. It's creepy, but also very funny and beautiful to look at.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Oh, and I don't know if this really counts as obscure/cult or whatever, but "The Princess Bride" is one of my absolute favourites, particularly this bit (although it'll only make full sense if you know the plot of the film):

[yt]fTrY0nJp2DQ&feature=fvwrel[/yt]

Sep 1, 2010
Frauds with Phil Collins. Very rare now, and hard to find on DVD. Had to get mine from the Netherlands.

Frauds (1993) - IMDb

frauds.jpg

frauds2.jpg

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Maybe not quite obscure enough for some on here but I loved 'todo sobre mi madre' (all about my mother), by Pedro Almodovar, a beautifully made film that has just about everything...a death in the first few minutes, a pregnant nun, transvestite prostitute and a lesbian actress! Beautifully produced it won lots of awards but can hardly be considered mainstream, far, far better than much of the guff that Hollywood churns out.

Brilliant film. Great thread this by the way people, already taken on board some of the suggestions on here.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here