Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Obscure film recommendations

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
my favourite film of all time is bitter moon,hugh grant is in it,but before he was big,kristin scott thomas is wonderful,a must see if a fan of hers

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
I had never heard of this movie until someone recommended it.. Therefore it was obscure to me but maybe not others... If you haven't seen it then I suggest you do..

The count of Monte Cristo...A young man, falsely imprisoned by his jealous "friends," escapes and uses a hidden treasure to exact his revenge

It's brilliant!

Razzoo

Sep 11, 2011
N. Yorkshire
Not the obscurest of selections, but anyone interested in film or politics or both should rent a copy of Battle of Algiers. A news-style, but incredibly dramatic, telling of the Algerians terroristically, by our current standards, looking to depose the French colonialists and take back their country. Explosions, gunfire and a man coming through the ranks, a little bit like Un Prophet in a way. It's one of those honest reflections in look at least that makes you ponder the where the line is drawn between "terrorist" and "freedom-fighter". Great stuff.

I'd throw in Happiness too. Difficult to watch at times, but fundamentally an unsettling comedy slightly along the lines of Dogtooth. Todd Solondz, the director, seemed to get stuck in his ways before and after, just looking to make you feel horribly uncomfortable whilst you laugh, but in this one it works quite well.

Earlier this year i saw Who Can Kill A Child, a 1976 Spanish horror all about children taking revenge on the awfulness of humankind. It's an uprising to try and make a better generation and it comes bloodily. Full of kids about 10 and above chillingly staring over at the adults who visit this Spanish island, planning what to do with them, the adults unaware that they better run for their lives. Once again, really quite thrilling as it's a chase-movie with heavy political undertones, and the fight-scenes are somewhat OH MY GOD.

I've loved Night of the Hunter for years too. A dark film from the 50s with Robert Mitchum pretending to be a preacher man in order to get some stolen goods that he hears about in prison. He has LOVE and HATE tattooed on his knuckles and the speech used in Do The Right Thing is a carbon copy of what's on show here. He's an evil priest rivalling that of Poltergeist 2 or 3 and his monstrousness is akin to that of Cape Fear. Someone is going to get it, or maybe everyone. Directed by Charles Laughton, the great and robust English actor. panned at the time, but slowly grew to be a classic.
I agree Night of the Hunter is class and beautifully shot.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here