Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Obscure film recommendations

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Check out Bela Tarr: Werkmeister Harmonies and Damnation.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Most films mentioned I have not seen, will have to take a look at few as some sound very good.

In Bruges - Comedy, bloody funny in the tower scene.
Hanna - May not be obscure but watched it the other day and thought it was brilliant.
Sexy Beast - Ray Winstone, Ben Kingsley, superb.

Sep 1, 2011
Most films mentioned I have not seen, will have to take a look at few as some sound very good.

Hanna - May not be obscure but watched it the other day and thought it was brilliant.

Sexy Beast what a film

"When theres a will theres a way and theres always a fuckin way"

Brightonfan1983

Jul 5, 2003
UK
Blue Valentine - there's a super indie film for you. The last one I watched with my now ex-girlfriend... about a relationship not going well.

Note to self - choose films more wisely in future!

Gotta agree with In Bruges. Sky +'d it and forgot about it for nearly 5 months. Watched it a few weeks ago when there was nothing on that took my fancy and was much more impressed with it than I thought I would be.

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
Sorry, haven't read the thread, but would like to offer a few films that particularly won my fancy:

Run, Lola, Run (very entertaining, in subtitles)

Control (very, VERY well acted docu-film on Ian Curtis/Joy Division)

24 Hour Party People (also features JD, generally about the Manchester music influence)

Stop Making Sense. (Technically just a video of a concert. But filmed in Hollywood quality, and some of the best music ever recorded)

Waking Life (A film that actually taught me how to have passive dreams. Sounds mental, but once you learn the tricks this film teaches you, you can fly, see in 360 degrees and so on. I know it seems ridiculous, but after seeing this film, my dreams for the next two months were incredible)

Scum (Young Ray Winston, 'nuff said)

And, if I had to pick one, not in terms of my personal favourite films, but the most overlooked, I would choose this one:
MV5BMTY4ODM2OTc4Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDMyMTY0MQ@@._V1._SY317_CR5,0,214,317_.jpg

Saw it on Film4 about 6 years ago and it absolutely blew my mind.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Not the obscurest of selections, but anyone interested in film or politics or both should rent a copy of Battle of Algiers. A news-style, but incredibly dramatic, telling of the Algerians terroristically, by our current standards, looking to depose the French colonialists and take back their country. Explosions, gunfire and a man coming through the ranks, a little bit like Un Prophet in a way. It's one of those honest reflections in look at least that makes you ponder the where the line is drawn between "terrorist" and "freedom-fighter". Great stuff.

I'd throw in Happiness too. Difficult to watch at times, but fundamentally an unsettling comedy slightly along the lines of Dogtooth. Todd Solondz, the director, seemed to get stuck in his ways before and after, just looking to make you feel horribly uncomfortable whilst you laugh, but in this one it works quite well.

Earlier this year i saw Who Can Kill A Child, a 1976 Spanish horror all about children taking revenge on the awfulness of humankind. It's an uprising to try and make a better generation and it comes bloodily. Full of kids about 10 and above chillingly staring over at the adults who visit this Spanish island, planning what to do with them, the adults unaware that they better run for their lives. Once again, really quite thrilling as it's a chase-movie with heavy political undertones, and the fight-scenes are somewhat OH MY GOD.

I've loved Night of the Hunter for years too. A dark film from the 50s with Robert Mitchum pretending to be a preacher man in order to get some stolen goods that he hears about in prison. He has LOVE and HATE tattooed on his knuckles and the speech used in Do The Right Thing is a carbon copy of what's on show here. He's an evil priest rivalling that of Poltergeist 2 or 3 and his monstrousness is akin to that of Cape Fear. Someone is going to get it, or maybe everyone. Directed by Charles Laughton, the great and robust English actor. panned at the time, but slowly grew to be a classic.

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
Love Serenade, check it out - "and this one goes out to all the Sunray girls, particularly with regards to the easoing of a man's lonliness".

And for all those who put up Animal Kingdom, there's nothing obscure about that one at all, Jackie Weaver got a f***ing Oscar for best supporting actress - come on folks, there's a whole world outside the UK....

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
[QUOTE

The Pianist

[/QUOTE]

A true story of the holocaust with good music in the background

Fantastic film quite riveting with some very graphic footage

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
The Amazing Mr Blunden -Loved it since i were a nipper !!!

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Agree with:

Mesrine
Old Boy
Moon
Dogtown and z boys

My suggestions are:
Vanishing Point
Delicatessen
The Long and the Short and the Tall