Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Obesity "not individuals' fault"

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
As a former tubby person, I can say without fear of contradiction that that report is possibly one of the most unhelpful things I have ever heard. An individual's health is unequivocally their own responsibility - and it is amazing how much better I felt once I realised that I needed to stop smoking, cut back on the pizza and fry-ups and get off my lazy arse and get some exercise and eat some vegetables. If someone had told me that the fact that I was overweight wasn't my fault would I have bothered?

Some people genuinly don't think like that.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
and yes, Les, you may eat it like a dog if that gives you pleasure. just dont cry about it when you are a fat slob.

To late, I'm one of those fat/fit people. Am about a stone overweight but play football Saturday and Sunday and can do a couple of 6k runs during the week without much hassle.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
There's going to be people everywhere now genuinely exclaiming relief at this story. After that they'll sit back on the sofa, put the TV on and eat another pack of chocolate biscuits.

No way. I couldn't possibly eat a 4thpack of biscuits tonight... Ok maybe just a couple....

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Well, perhaps we could send those people on swimming holidays off of the shores of Japan or Norway.

The thing is you have got off your arse and done something which makes you feel, I would imagine a bit short changed when someone says it is not fat people's fault.

What people are misunderstanding about my point of view is that not all people have the same determination as you. The fat, lazy, cake munching bastards (which I agree they are) obviously do not and this has to be addressed because calling them fat, lazy, cake munching bastards obviously hasn't worked has it?

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
The thing is you have got off your arse and done something which makes you feel, I would imagine a bit short changed when someone says it is not fat people's fault.

What people are misunderstanding about my point of view is that not all people have the same determination as you. The fat, lazy, cake munching bastards (which I agree they are) obviously do not and this has to be addressed because calling them fat, lazy, cake munching bastards obviously hasn't worked has it?

You looked well active last night, lying on the sofa eating choc chip marylands. Much the same as me.:D

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7047244.stm

I'm sorry but I really do think this is utter bollocks. If you eat too much, particularly of the 'bad things' and do not do enough exercise you really have yourself to blame.

agree.

Go to Denmark, Sweden, Spain etc these people are open to the same high calorie
diet, but fatties are rarity and top totty a speciality.

But now having kiddies, I am absolutely shocked how much added sugar and salt is added to absolutely everything, its nigh impossible to get fruit juices without ADDED suger.

Last edited:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7047244.stm

I'm sorry but I really do think this is utter bollocks. If you eat too much, particularly of the 'bad things' and do not do enough exercise you really have yourself to blame.

You could argue though that the country's obsession with the car hasn't helped has it? From reading the article it wasn't just talking about over eating was it? They talked about the sedantry lifestyle that some people lead nowadays, this is in part due to the increased use of the car. This Government and others before it have never done enough to support public transport, this would possibly help. You can say that you would do possibly more walking if you were going places by train and bus than by car, as most people don't have bus stops or stations right on their doorstep!

Last edited:

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
agree.

Go to Denmark, Sweden, Spain etc these people are open to the same high calorie
diet, but fatties area rarity and top totty a speciality.

Depends which areas you go to in those countries. Although I agree on the whole they probably have less obesity related diseases. However it is a fact that a much healthier lifestyle is promoted by the governments in these countries and a lot more money is spent on sports facilities and promotions and more money is spent on healthier school meals and health education.

So really by citing these countries as examples you have proved my point.

To late, I'm one of those fat/fit people. Am about a stone overweight but play football Saturday and Sunday and can do a couple of 6k runs during the week without much hassle.

How do you manage to watch the Albion then?

OK so not everyone has the same determination, but that doesn't mean that it's not their fault, does it? Them being told that the government/advertising agencies/whoever is in fact responsible, not them, is not going to help the situation.

It has to be a self-realisation thing. I am a fatty. But I got to a stage in Febraury where I got pissed off and annoyed at myself about my weight, so I went out and did some exercise. I now go running about 3/4 times a week. Having the realisation, and then deciding to do something about it, is the hardest part. You find once you start doing exercise you actually (shock horror) enjoy it. This is certainly not going to be aided if people are being told that it's not their responsibility or fault that they are how they are.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Another fantastic put down from Les.

Now now, be fair, I am giving myself shit as well. If I remember rightly I also ate 4 slices of Pizza when you only had 3.

What were them other biscuits, they were amazing with a cup of bovine mammary secretion and chi?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Depends which areas you go to in those countries. Although I agree on the whole they probably have less obesity related diseases. However it is a fact that a much healthier lifestyle is promoted by the governments in these countries and a lot more money is spent on sports facilities and promotions and more money is spent on healthier school meals and health education.

So really by citing these countries as examples you have proved my point.

Presumably to actually prove this point, you are going to give some evidence to back up this 'fact' ?

I like the cop out the Govenment are already saying:

"The most important thing is there has to be public consent and understanding of the issues you're trying to challenge," she said.

"A mandate for change will be difficult because it has to be preceded by an understanding of the dangers of obesity."

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
OK so not everyone has the same determination, but that doesn't mean that it's not their fault, does it? Them being told that the government/advertising agencies/whoever is in fact responsible, not them, is not going to help the situation.

It has to be a self-realisation thing. I am a fatty. But I got to a stage in Febraury where I got pissed off and annoyed at myself about my weight, so I went out and did some exercise. I now go running about 3/4 times a week. Having the realisation, and then deciding to do something about it, is the hardest part. You find once you start doing exercise you actually (shock horror) enjoy it. This is certainly not going to be aided if people are being told that it's not their responsibility or fault that they are how they are.

Agreed that they should not be absolved of all responsibilty but we are talking about people who have become lazy through a lifetime of ignorance and they will never, never do anything about it on their own. Whatever people argue you cannot say this government does enough to promote health in this country. If they started to we may see improvement in a few generations time.

No-matter what you say calling people fat, lazy bastards will not help them. Somebody who overeats to the point where their life is a t risk has clearly got a dysfunction which I beleive food manafacturers target.

I don't unless it's a week game.

Well you amaze me on your knowledge of Albion players from just seeing midweek games! You always seem to have some very good arguments about playing positions etc etc.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Well you amaze me on your knowledge of Albion players from just seeing midweek games! You always seem to have some very good arguments about playing positions etc etc.

I only started playing again this year for the first time in 5 years so have been to a fair few games in the last couple of seasons. Plus I went to quite a few preseason.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here