Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Oasis at Brighton Centre on 29 December, 1994 - were you there?

scoobiewhite

Jan 29, 2012
Albourne / Brighton
It was funny in the way that it was a cliche that Oasis sounded like The Beatles, even though they didn’t except for a couple of songs. I listened to ‘Tender’ by Blur yesterday and that sounded far more like The Beatles and I’m not saying that’s a bad thing either.

Truth is, pretty much none of the bands we see today would be around if it wasn’t for The Beatles. I actually think the world would be a very different place without them as well, so the film got that wrong.

Never a truer word spoken.

I loved both bands at the time but Blur were far more Beatlesesque in terms of songwriting, range, influences etc.

Oasis just nicked a couple of melodies like the little scallies they were/are.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Thank you.

I did similar with Foo Fighters in that I bought their latest album, at the time, first and then went through the albums chronologically, well, pretty much, I might’ve got their second before their first. After I got into Oasis I was able to get into The Beatles, so I went through their albums in order too, what a brilliant journey that was. Those 3 bands are my biggest influences.

With Oasis, if you’ve made two massive albums, anything after can easily be deemed as crap if it isn’t as good. That’s definitely not what I thought when I went through the albums though. Liam’s voice is better than the latter Oasis albums now though and his 2 solo albums were good. As for Foo Fighters, I don’t think much of their latest singles off their new album, I’m getting worried!

I might PM the track at some stage, ‘we’ve’ got a few on Spotify. 4 of them were recorded in London in 5 days, we had to drive up there every morning. Normally, I’d love for people to hear my songs, but because of the way the band treated me I really don’t want to give them anymore publicity if I’m honest. It’s a strange feeling, I might’ve listen to them maybe 4 times since September.

One of the best things about music is getting switched onto a band or artist late, and then realizing they have a significant back catalogue to listen to. Amongst many, I was late to Bowie and Nick Cave and also a new band called Sault...but they had released 4 albums in the last 2 years....as you say it’s a brilliant journey.

As for your own music, I appreciate you feel a let down by your band mates but don’t ever lose sight of the fact you have recorded music and had it on the BBC. That’s an achievement many of us have never got close to.

scoobiewhite

Jan 29, 2012
Albourne / Brighton
Always find it interesting how people talking about blur bang on about their range of style and influences, while people talking about Oasis just list a load of great songs.

Or

The same great song repeated about 30 times [emoji6]

Live forever, whatever, wonderwall, master plan, fade away, slide away. All pretty much identikit.

Like I say, loved them at the time, more so than blur and I was living oop north at the time so was in the oasis tribe.

With hindsight though blur had hits spanning calypso, waltz, pop, indie, grunge,

I don’t think....and I really have thought about this....that Noel could do a gorillaz album.

So yeah, blur did have more range but it doesn’t make them better.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
It was funny in the way that it was a cliche that Oasis sounded like The Beatles, even though they didn’t except for a couple of songs. I listened to ‘Tender’ by Blur yesterday and that sounded far more like The Beatles and I’m not saying that’s a bad thing either.

Truth is, pretty much none of the bands we see today would be around if it wasn’t for The Beatles. I actually think the world would be a very different place without them as well, so the film got that wrong.

Such a cliche that Liam named his son Lennon and Wonderwall was named after the first George Harrison solo album Wonderwall Music. I think the Gallaghers have been pretty obvious in acknowledging the extent of the influence of The Beatles on their music.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
Such a cliche that Liam named his son Lennon and Wonderwall was named after the first George Harrison solo album Wonderwall Music. I think the Gallaghers have been pretty obvious in acknowledging the extent of the influence of The Beatles on their music.

Yes, they were massive Beatles fans (just like most musicians), doesn’t mean they sounded more like them than anyone else.

Like I said, every band is influenced by The Beatles. Ocean Colour Scene has a song that sounds very similar to I Am The Walrus.

Dave Clark 5, now there’s a band that actually sounded like The Beatles.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
One of the best things about music is getting switched onto a band or artist late, and then realizing they have a significant back catalogue to listen to. Amongst many, I was late to Bowie and Nick Cave and also a new band called Sault...but they had released 4 albums in the last 2 years....as you say it’s a brilliant journey.

Love a bit of SAULT. I've had their track Wildfires stuck in my head all afternoon, much to the annoyance of my other half as I keep humming it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here