Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Oasis at Brighton Centre on 29 December, 1994 - were you there?

May 5, 2020
Sussex
They’re at their stage where they’re out of fashion.
That goes for 90s culture as a whole. Excess is a dirty word at the moment.
There will come a time when the nostalgia kicks in and they’ll be remembered for the great band they were.
Listen to Headshrinker and Acquiesce again and you won’t be saying they’re shite!

Yes,your probably right they will come back into fashion again.
They can't be shite otherwise I wouldn't have liked them at the time,but I must say I was only really into them over the course of their first two albums.
What's the story morning glory was the peak for me and I was disappointed by there third album and didn't really follow them after that.
I'm glad I was into them when I was,they were fantastic but now i just can't listen to them.
But I must say I did listen to your advice and had a listen to aquiesque again and despite me thinking it sounded a bit of time,it did lead me to a few more old tunes that I thought sounded alright.
I have decided to just focus on definetley maybe and what's the story and forget about everything after and forget about the personalities and just listen to the music and see if I can get back into them.
Cheers.

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
I’m always interested when people get into a band very late as they don’t follow the natural chronology and were not present when it was released i.e. they can possibly view the music without the progression and surrounding hype and noise of the time and consequently appraise it more objectively.

This bit applies exactly to me, having been born in the early 90s, I can just about remember 90s/early 00s pop culture (christ that was awful), but the actual music was largely new to me when I listened to it later in life. I absolutely love early Oasis, that is the first 2 albums and associated singles/ b sides, and there's a decent smattering of songs after that. Frankly, that's enough for me, if I think a band like Television are great on the basis of one album, I don't see any reason to hold Oasis to a higher standard. And if they expressed their opinions as fact or exagerrated for the sake of an interview, well what's the point of slightly holding an opinion anyway? And I don't have to put up with them being on television every bloody night on one of the 4 channels anymore anyway.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
In the right venue (like that ) they are exceptional.
I wonder if they’ve been a bit overexposed though.
It feels like they’re always either on tour or releasing new music.

I think you might be right on over exposed, they’re first two albums I loved every single song, I was borderline obsessed and saw them maybe 8 or 9 times in that period from a tiny club in Hackney to Concorde to Glastonbury. They really are in their prime in tiny venue especially during their first album cycle. Their 3rd album really didn’t do it for me, the first track War, Grounds and Model Village were slappers but the rest of it didn’t really tickle my fancy. They seem to have started a punk/post punk revival and since getting into them, I’ve discovered so much amazing new alternative stuff like Fontaines, Shame, Squid, Working Men’s Club plus many more. The lead singer said the other day that they played over 200 shows in 2019 which is insane, so hopefully this period of nothing might get them creating something very decent, since they are already recording a 4th album.

May 5, 2020
Sussex
I saw oasis at Portsmouth guild hall,earls court,Glastonbury and knebworth all fantastic.
But one memory that always pops in my head when I think of oasis is one nightub when I was in a packed pub(litten tree in Worthing,used to be the wine lodge)and don't look back in anger came on and the whole pub spontaneously burst into song,everyone was singing it, and when it stopped we all cheered and went back to just being in a pub as you do.
It was actually a very cool moment.

indy3050

Jun 22, 2011
I saw oasis at Portsmouth guild hall,earls court,Glastonbury and knebworth all fantastic.
But one memory that always pops in my head when I think of oasis is one nightub when I was in a packed pub(litten tree in Worthing,used to be the wine lodge)and don't look back in anger came on and the whole pub spontaneously burst into song,everyone was singing it, and when it stopped we all cheered and went back to just being in a pub as you do.
It was actually a very cool moment.

Similar thing happened to me in a bar in the south of France, August ‘96. Several different nationalities packed in there and all of a sudden the whole place was belting out DLBIA, arms around each other, it was magic!

I wasn’t at this gig although I saw oasis live 4 times and both individually at the Brighton centre in 2018. It’s almost impossible for me to pick a top 3 but if I was forced I’d probably go Supersonic, Some might say and Slide away but I could argue for another 10 easily

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Good to know that there is no argument too old for NSC to rehash and reheat. I'm sure we did this one on dial-up.

Oasis are obviously utterly joyful and anyone who doesn't like them is either lying, or doesn't like life itself.

(Blur were also great. But neither held a candle to the almighty Sunburst).
It seems to me that the main difference is that for some reason lots of people feel compelled to tell the world if they don't like Oasis (See also: The Beatles).

When threads are started about other bands there is only a few people who bother to let the readers know they don't like them.

Maybe as bands get bigger they attract more hate as well as love.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
What’s a crock of shite? I’ve worked with producers and I know exactly how they are and how most musicians are, just like some on here with the ‘they were yobs, so I don’t listen’ shite.

I didn’t say Oasis were outliers, but they were probably the most recognised working class band that actually sounded working class. It’s not because they are working class, it’s because they unashamedly are.
I think you'll find they were not working class (would have involved working). They were the underclass

But they didn't care

Cos they were living faaaasssst

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Wow! Talk about living in a made up world. Oasis absolutely battered Blur when it came to ‘the battle of the bands’, look at the album sales and how many number 1’s each band had. Blur purposefully chose to release their single the same time Oasis released their’s (which happened to be the worst single off the album).They wouldn’t even be talked about now if it wasn’t for that.

Blur’s songs are nowhere near as good as Oasis’s b-sides let alone Wonderwall, Don’t Look Back in Anger, She’s Electric, Morning Glory and Champagne Supernova.

Noel’s the more goby one of the two. Liams’s a lot more friendly, I’ve known about that for years, but more and more people are waking up to it now, maybe you should too. It’s plainly clear to see in ‘Supersonic’.

Noel’s first solo album were just songs for what was going to be the next Oasis album, but wasn’t as good as it didn’t have Liam’s voice. It was still good, but would’ve been a lot better, but Noel’s a bitter character these days so decided to slag off fans who weren’t interested instead. Most of his dancey pop tracks have been pretty shit and embarrassing. Liam has been doing far better on his own than Noel, probably why Noel most definitely does look back in anger. He’s also found a load of old songs he wrote for Oasis, which he intends to make an album out of - indicating that’s he’s probably lost it and very disappointed with the fan reaction to his recent stuff.
Oasis won the battle. (Although to be fair Roll With It and Country House were both shit. As we're Be Here Now and The Great Escape. BHN a lot less shit (sorry I know it's your username so guessing you really like it).

Blue won the war. Their output post The Great Escape eclipse Oasis IMHO like.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I liked and still like Blur, I can count the good oasis songs on the fingers of one hand. Supergrass were bloody great for a few albums, better than Oasis, Oasis were a bit knock off Slade with all the nous of Freddie and the dreamers. Blur,or Albarn at least really wanted to be Ray Davis/Kinks, and to be fair they came close on occasion.

It's all Silly, music is not and never has been competitive, as art its highly subjective, and we all have our preferences. I only saw Oasis at Glastonbury, nowhere near the best band that weekend, even with a pissed Robbie Williams hanging out side of stage, but they certainly knew how to whip up a frenzy and make an occaision of it. North stand music.

FWIW I'd put Blur in the 1901 club and Coldplay in the South Stand. :lolol:

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
Blue won the war. Their output post The Great Escape eclipse Oasis IMHO like.

Preach!

blue-x.png

Altogether... One for the money and the free rides...

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I liked and still like Blur, I can count the good oasis songs on the fingers of one hand. Supergrass were bloody great for a few albums, better than Oasis, Oasis were a bit knock off Slade with all the nous of Freddie and the dreamers. Blur,or Albarn at least really wanted to be Ray Davis/Kinks, and to be fair they came close on occasion.

It's all Silly, music is not and never has been competitive, as art its highly subjective, and we all have our preferences. I only saw Oasis at Glastonbury, nowhere near the best band that weekend, even with a pissed Robbie Williams hanging out side of stage, but they certainly knew how to whip up a frenzy and make an occaision of it. North stand music.

FWIW I'd put Blur in the 1901 club and Coldplay in the South Stand. [emoji38]ol:
I was at that Glastonbury, The Verve The Charlatans and the cure my highlights.

I am told that the BBC presenter said that the Oasis gig was best summed up but a lad saying to his mate "that was okay, do you think Mark Hughes has gone to Chelsea?".

No idea if this was actually said and never seen a recording of it. But I said the exact words to my mate as we walked away.

May 5, 2020
Sussex
Similar thing happened to me in a bar in the south of France, August ‘96. Several different nationalities packed in there and all of a sudden the whole place was belting out DLBIA, arms around each other, it was magic!

I wasn’t at this gig although I saw oasis live 4 times and both individually at the Brighton centre in 2018. It’s almost impossible for me to pick a top 3 but if I was forced I’d probably go Supersonic, Some might say and Slide away but I could argue for another 10 easily

Yes magic is the best word to describe don't look back in anger,it does seem to ignite an urge for complete strangers to burst into song together.
Yes I would also go for supersonic, some might say but then cigarettes and alcohol but as you say there is probably another 10 that are joint 1st,second or third.
I had gone right off oasis for some reason but thanks to DJ NOBO advice I checked out a couple of tunes and that led to supersonic and now I seem to be rediscovering oasis again.
This thread is bringing back some good memories too.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I’d be surprised if Oasis were even there. Pair of bickering ninnies.

Oasis are okay to pop on the jukebox as last orders are being called but wouldn’t go out of my way to see them live. I was more into rock in the 90’s, your Pearl Jam’s, your Soundgarden’s et al.
I loved the 90’s though. A party decade that’d came along as me and my mates were coming of age. Not to be repeated I fear.
Great nee music being produced all the time though. But like it or not, Oasis summed up the 90’s for a lot of people.
I preferred Pulp.

Last edited:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Yes magic is the best word to describe don't look back in anger,it does seem to ignite an urge for complete strangers to burst into song together.
Yes I would also go for supersonic, some might say but then cigarettes and alcohol but as you say there is probably another 10 that are joint 1st,second or third.
I had gone right off oasis for some reason but thanks to DJ NOBO advice I checked out a couple of tunes and that led to supersonic and now I seem to be rediscovering oasis again.
This thread is bringing back some good memories too.

There was a New Years even where I went to a few pubs and then a few parties. Literally, everywhere I went that night involved a sing along of Wonderwall (1995 I guess). This even included a dance event where it was played at the end of a DJ set. Say what you like about Oasis (and Some Might Say they don't like em - See what I did there :)) but they caught the zeitgeist for a while there, absolutely bang in the middle of it all.

Some New Years that too!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here