Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Oasis at Brighton Centre on 29 December, 1994 - were you there?

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Since I was born in 1996 I only ever got to listen to them after they got big, the first two albums are two of my favourite albums of all time, but everything they released afterwards was a bit crap. Their best songs were all from the definitely maybe era (Slide Away, Fade Away and Listen Up) IMO. Seen Liam Gallagher 3 times and when I first saw him I couldn’t get enough, he just had an aura about him, but his appeal began to wane, and he is on everything these days. His solo stuff didn’t stand up next to the oasis tracks he was singing along side, but there is a huge following of people my age and so many ‘associated acts’ like the DMAs that have got hugely popular off the back of this revival. If they came back I really wouldn’t want them to release new music because I don’t feel they’d be able to do it again.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
Confession. I’m not really interested in a Oasis-Blur cockfight. It’s 25years too late for starters. I’m not even a mega fan of blur. I just prefer them to Oasis. It’s funny to see partisan music fans get so wound up though. You honoured me with your passion and fight. If you’re like this about the Albion, you are exactly the type of person I’d want in the terrace trenches next to me! Especially versus them lot up the A23! :bowdown:

Fair play.

I was actually going to say you might aswell have gone onto one of the football threads and said you were a Palace fan!

Oh, don’t worry, I am this passionate about the Albion, well, probably more so.

I was alive (barely) when Oasis and Blur were big, so I didn’t experience any of the Britpop stuff. My brother is older than me and I think he prefers Blur. I know there was a rivalry, I just don’t see the need to mention Blur every time someone’s talking about Oasis. I like a few Blur songs, I haven’t listened to their albums...yet. A lot of young people now, that are into that kind of thing, love both and don’t see the rivalry at all, they see it as a great time for music, unlike now. Liam has even said his guilty pleasure is Blur, they’ve been mates and had a laugh, there’s even a radio interview with both bands together on YouTube and it’s funny.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
I’m always interested when people get into a band very late as they don’t follow the natural chronology and were not present when it was released i.e. they can possibly view the music without the progression and surrounding hype and noise of the time and consequently appraise it more objectively.

And well done on getting a song released and on the radio...that’s brilliant. But, you can’t tell me you had a song on the BBC and not tell me what it is! I’m genuinely interested so PM if you don’t feel comfortable posting to NSC.

As an aside, I don’t agree with everything you’re saying but I totally love your passion . It’s something I feel is disappearing in music, so keep going!

Thank you.

I did similar with Foo Fighters in that I bought their latest album, at the time, first and then went through the albums chronologically, well, pretty much, I might’ve got their second before their first. After I got into Oasis I was able to get into The Beatles, so I went through their albums in order too, what a brilliant journey that was. Those 3 bands are my biggest influences.

With Oasis, if you’ve made two massive albums, anything after can easily be deemed as crap if it isn’t as good. That’s definitely not what I thought when I went through the albums though. Liam’s voice is better than the latter Oasis albums now though and his 2 solo albums were good. As for Foo Fighters, I don’t think much of their latest singles off their new album, I’m getting worried!

I might PM the track at some stage, ‘we’ve’ got a few on Spotify. 4 of them were recorded in London in 5 days, we had to drive up there every morning. Normally, I’d love for people to hear my songs, but because of the way the band treated me I really don’t want to give them anymore publicity if I’m honest. It’s a strange feeling, I might’ve listen to them maybe 4 times since September.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
I think you'll find they were not working class (would have involved working). They were the underclass

But they didn't care

Cos they were living faaaasssst

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

Noel wrote most of the first album whilst working in a warehouse. Liam did manual labour on building sites.

Today is just a blur :thumbsup:

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
Oasis won the battle. (Although to be fair Roll With It and Country House were both shit. As we're Be Here Now and The Great Escape. BHN a lot less shit (sorry I know it's your username so guessing you really like it).

Blue won the war. Their output post The Great Escape eclipse Oasis IMHO like.

Blue may have done, not sure about Blur though. I’ve never listened to any Blur albums, but I don’t think they were anywhere near as big as WTSMG. Maybe Blur’s later albums did a bit better than Oasis’s, I’m not sure, but I wouldn’t say they won the war by a long way. Even before I got into them, I remember Oasis having big hits like ‘Go Let It Out’, ‘Lyla’ and ‘The Importance Of Being Idle’. I don’t remember Blur even being around at the time.

I think Be Here Now is great in a funny way, certainly better than most music from the last 20 years. I feel like it’s almost the embodiment of rock ‘n’ roll. They even had Johnny Depp playing slide guitar :lolol: Obviously, the production let’s it down and the length of some of the songs, but I think there are some great tunes on there - ‘D’You Know What I Mean’, ‘My Big Mouth’, ‘Stand By Me’, ‘Don’t Go Away, ‘Be Here Now’, ‘All Around The World’ and ‘It’s Gettin’ Better (Man!!).

‘The Girl In The Dirty Shirt’ is about a girl he met in Brighton.

I will give some Blur albums a listen though.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
I saw oasis at Portsmouth guild hall,earls court,Glastonbury and knebworth all fantastic.
But one memory that always pops in my head when I think of oasis is one nightub when I was in a packed pub(litten tree in Worthing,used to be the wine lodge)and don't look back in anger came on and the whole pub spontaneously burst into song,everyone was singing it, and when it stopped we all cheered and went back to just being in a pub as you do.
It was actually a very cool moment.

Sang Oasis in The Bell after a few games. Bloody brilliant.

There really isn’t that many bands that can bring people together like Oasis can.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
I liked and still like Blur, I can count the good oasis songs on the fingers of one hand. Supergrass were bloody great for a few albums, better than Oasis, Oasis were a bit knock off Slade with all the nous of Freddie and the dreamers. Blur,or Albarn at least really wanted to be Ray Davis/Kinks, and to be fair they came close on occasion.

It's all Silly, music is not and never has been competitive, as art its highly subjective, and we all have our preferences. I only saw Oasis at Glastonbury, nowhere near the best band that weekend, even with a pissed Robbie Williams hanging out side of stage, but they certainly knew how to whip up a frenzy and make an occaision of it. North stand music.

FWIW I'd put Blur in the 1901 club and Coldplay in the South Stand. :lolol:

Bloody hell! You have at least 30 fingers on one and have still managed to find the time to listen to all of the Oasis albums and their b-sides :)

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Blue may have done, not sure about Blur though. I’ve never listened to any Blur albums, but I don’t think they were anywhere near as big as WTSMG. Maybe Blur’s later albums did a bit better than Oasis’s, I’m not sure, but I wouldn’t say they won the war by a long way. Even before I got into them, I remember Oasis having big hits like ‘Go Let It Out’, ‘Lyla’ and ‘The Importance Of Being Idle’. I don’t remember Blur even being around at the time.

I think Be Here Now is great in a funny way, certainly better than most music from the last 20 years. I feel like it’s almost the embodiment of rock ‘n’ roll. They even had Johnny Depp playing slide guitar :lolol: Obviously, the production let’s it down and the length of some of the songs, but I think there are some great tunes on there - ‘D’You Know What I Mean’, ‘My Big Mouth’, ‘Stand By Me’, ‘Don’t Go Away, ‘Be Here Now’, ‘All Around The World’ and ‘It’s Gettin’ Better (Man!!).

BHN is a decent album in its own right. It has a bad rep mainly because it doesn’t come close to what came before it.
Dig Out Your Soul is another underrated album.
Park Life and Definitely Maybe will forever remain in my top five all time albums.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
BHN is a decent album in its own right. It has a bad rep mainly because it doesn’t come close to what came before it.
Dig Out Your Soul is another underrated album.
Park Life and Definitely Maybe will forever remain in my top five all time albums.

Think Tank is my favourite Blur album, and they’ve done some great stuff over 25 years. Plus Albarn continues on with Gorrilaz & The Good The Bad The Queen two great side projects.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Think Tank is my favourite Blur album, and they’ve done some great stuff over 25 years. Plus Albarn continues on with Gorrilaz & The Good The Bad The Queen two great side projects.

I’ve never given think tank much of a chance . Best tracks ?

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I’ve never given think tank much of a chance . Best tracks ?

Out of time probably best but not one for load of singles but as a whole album their best for me.

Sweet song, good song and we’ve got a file on you are other good tracks off the top of my head.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Out of time probably best but not one for load of singles but as a whole album their best for me.

Sweet song, good song and we’ve got a file on you are other good tracks off the top of my head.

Just listening now. I like Africa-influenced Albarn. I remember why I bypassed it now - coxon had left. Very decent listen so far. I can see why you like it as a consistently strong album , rather than a singles plus fillers type affair,

May 5, 2020
Sussex
Sang Oasis in The Bell after a few games. Bloody brilliant.

There really isn’t that many bands that can bring people together like Oasis can.

Yes I think oasis managed to tap into the secret of the football terrace chant and get it into their music.
Some of their songs certainly seem to ignite a spontaneous singing between complete strangers from all walks of life,same as the football chant.

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
Didn’t see them in Brighton but did at Earls Court, glad I did as it was still a relatively small venue compared to when they played Knebworth. Vaguely remember it being a decent evening.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

scoobiewhite

Jan 29, 2012
Albourne / Brighton
I was there. Was in one of the raised seating areas at the side.

I remember being really nervous that the gig would get cancelled because of all the shenanigans going on with them at the time.

I thought oasis were the bees knees at the time. Whilst I still love some of the early tunes, they really didn’t age well.

I quite enjoy the new knowingly comedy version of Liam though. He’s actually quite funny sometimes.

When it was put to him that all his solo stuff sounds like oasis, he replied..‘I could sing twinkle twinkle little star and it would sound like f****** oasis.

[emoji23]

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
But one memory that always pops in my head when I think of oasis is one nightub when I was in a packed pub(litten tree in Worthing,used to be the wine lodge)and don't look back in anger came on and the whole pub spontaneously burst into song,everyone was singing it, and when it stopped we all cheered and went back to just being in a pub as you do.
It was actually a very cool moment.

My mate knocks it out on the piano. If there’s one song that’s guaranteed to get people singing ........

Big loss, pianos in pubs.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

I think Be Here Now is great in a funny way, certainly better than most music from the last 20 years. I feel like it’s almost the embodiment of rock ‘n’ roll. They even had Johnny Depp playing slide guitar [emoji38]ol: Obviously, the production let’s it down and the length of some of the songs, but I think there are some great tunes on there - ‘D’You Know What I Mean’, ‘My Big Mouth’, ‘Stand By Me’, ‘Don’t Go Away, ‘Be Here Now’, ‘All Around The World’ and ‘It’s Gettin’ Better (Man!!).

Blur are certainly worth a listen. Consistently interesting and creative music (ignoring The Great Escape). Parklikfe and Modern Life is Rubbish are excellent Albums. Selftitled and 13 are probably next in line for me.

Both a great bands. Definitely Maybe stands up and one of my favorite albums. Sadly they lost some if their rage after than and became a singles band for me. Lots of good songs through the years but nothing as exciting as DM.

From around that area I would also suggest listening to A Northern Soul - Verve, The Bends and OK Computer - Radiohead, Telling Stories - The Charlatans, Ladies and Gentlemen We're Floating in Space - Spiritualized, George Best - The Wedding Present. In an Aeroplane over the sea - Neutral Milk Hotel.

DanR

Dec 26, 2020
Peasmarsh
I attended those same two gigs. Great times.

Manics and Chemical Bros. where great at KW. I also slightly remember Earls Court and the plentiful crowd fighting. I am the walrus!

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I watched the film 'Yesterday' a couple of weeks ago, the one where a guy who knows all The Beatles songs is in an alternate universe where The Beatles never existed and he starts a career playing and singing versions of their songs. Once it dawns on him, he hits the computer and Googles Beatles stuff to find nothing there, then other bands from the 60's like The Rolling Stones to find them all present and correct. The joke is, he goes on to Google Oasis and they never existed either, great laugh out loud moment.:)

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
I watched the film 'Yesterday' a couple of weeks ago, the one where a guy who knows all The Beatles songs is in an alternate universe where The Beatles never existed and he starts a career playing and singing versions of their songs. Once it dawns on him, he hits the computer and Googles Beatles stuff to find nothing there, then other bands from the 60's like The Rolling Stones to find them all present and correct. The joke is, he goes on to Google Oasis and they never existed either, great laugh out loud moment.:)

It was funny in the way that it was a cliche that Oasis sounded like The Beatles, even though they didn’t except for a couple of songs. I listened to ‘Tender’ by Blur yesterday and that sounded far more like The Beatles and I’m not saying that’s a bad thing either.

Truth is, pretty much none of the bands we see today would be around if it wasn’t for The Beatles. I actually think the world would be a very different place without them as well, so the film got that wrong.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here