Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T Question for people who believe in God

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I am not mocking religious beliefs etc but I was thinking last night, do people who believe in God and the Bible therefore NOT believe Darwin's Theory of Evolution?

I was watching a programme the other day that said at the time when Darwin's theories started to become believed on a wide scale that many people thought it would blow the credibility of the Bible and God out of the water.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Well, the theory of evolution would kinda blow that Adam and Eve SHIT out of the water.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
'Man was made in God's image'... Darwin put forward the theory of evolution..

Religious types wouldn't like what that ment.

Last edited:

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I agree with Nietsche. In my opinion he got it right when he said that man created God and that the biggest problem facing the majority of the human race was to come to the realisation that God is dead.

That said, I was hoping someone religious could explain how they can still believe in the Bible and God when Darwin's theories have proved it to be wrong.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
There was an atricle a few years ago in the Grauniad about how a mathmatician has worked out that it was more probably that GOD created the Universe than there was a Big BANG.

I think he might have been a God botherer or just plain NUTS.

Rusthall Seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Tunbridge wells
Richie Morris said:
I agree with Nietsche. In my opinion he got it right when he said that man created God and that the biggest problem facing the majority of the human race was to come to the realisation that God is dead.

That said, I was hoping someone religious could explain how they can still believe in the Bible and God when Darwin's theories have proved it to be wrong.

To that end then Man 'created' science too........so you just chose which one you believe in...

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
NO, man did not create science.

He quite clearly just found better ways to look at how the world works and develop his understanding so he no longer needed explanations like God.

Rusthall Seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Tunbridge wells
Richie Morris said:

He quite clearly just found better ways to look at how the world works and develop his understanding so he no longer needed explanations like God.

Well, that is what YOU believe......quick question, how can science continually prove things, that it then goes on to prove are incorrect?

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
There was an atricle a few years ago in the Grauniad about how a mathmatician has worked out that it was more probably that GOD created the Universe than there was a Big BANG.

Articles dismissing the big bang theory tend to annoy me. OK, admitted the chances of the elements meeting the way they did is very very small.. but what was here before the big bang? A Void? People forget that altough the chances are small, their was an infinate amout of time in which it could happen!

---

Richie, can you expand on your Nietsche line please?

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Rusthall Seagull said:
Well, that is what YOU believe......quick question, how can science continually prove things, that it then goes on to prove are incorrect?

Untill things are PROVED they are still THEORY. People sometimes believe things are proven, like Darwin's 'Theory of Evolution' when infact, although they make sense and are based on fact, they are nothing more than a theory.

Rusthall Seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Tunbridge wells
Biscuit said:
Untill things are PROVED they are still THEORY. People sometimes believe things are proven, like Darwin's 'Theory of Evolution' when infact, although they make sense and are based on fact, they are nothing more than a theory.

Theoretically that is a correct statement......

could sit here and argue all day.....however normally prefer to do so over a few beers!!!:)

Last edited:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
ChapmansThe Saviour said:

its highly likely that the latter is closer to the truth, although the two tend to go hand in hand

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Biscuit said:

Richie, can you expand on your Nietsche line please?

I think, though I may be wrong, that the German philosopher argued that God was created by man and that because of developments in Science, he was therefore made redundent.

He stated that the biggest problem facing many people, i.e. those who had lived thier lives devoted to God, would be facing up to the fact that 'God is dead' or put perhaps more simply, we dont need him anymore and that his existence has pretty much been disproved.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Richie Morris said:

Steady ... you may find science a "better" way to rationalise the world around you, that doesn't mean "man" as a whole has.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
This actual point came up when I was converting to Catholicism (along with the usual rubbish about catholics and contraception etc etc).

Believe it or not modern 'christians' nowadays take more from the new testament than the old. It is also recognised that the old testament (adam and eve etc) is actually a mixture of exaggerated parable and fact. This may (or may not) be correct and certain other faiths may have a different view.

Eg the valley of the dry bones. Really ???

But there are instances where there is historical fact EG countries mentioned that are still around today like Egypt.

All I can say is that I believe that something created life or the forces that made it come into being (big bang whatever) and that force is God. Evolution is a natural process and when man evolved into a free thinking person thats when God re-introduced himsel. Look at Patcham Village and the doorways. You'd have to be under 5 foot to get in, but now people average alot higher - evolution albeit on a small scale.

Therefore evolution can hand in hand with the bible.

Can I just say this is my opinion and thats how I rationalise it.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Many Christians do not believe that every word of the bible is literally true. The story of creation in Genesis is accepted as a reasonable description made by God fearing Jewish folk many centuries ago. Darwin’s Theory of Evolution and the Big Bang theory are a more scientific explanation but do not preclude the existence of a God.

Christians do believe in the birth, life, & death of Christ (and there is a great deal of historical evidence to support the Bible). Some do not believe that he actually was resurrected in the manner described in the Bible but that his influence continued after his crucifixion to such an extent that people believed he was still alive.

What is true is that 2000 years later the church founded in his name is still here.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Anyone here think the Bible is nothing more than a childrens book written thousands of years ago to teach people right from wrong, and the stories it contains are fiction, and they only serve as examples of how to treat each other with respect.. and that it was read and believed as gospell. No pun intended.

Its like someone reading 'Lord of the Rings' and thinking middle earth and all its inhabitants are real...

No? Okay..

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Gaffer said:
Some do not believe that he actually was resurrected in the manner described in the Bible but that his influence continued after his crucifixion to such an extent that people believed he was still alive.

That makes a bit more sense.

Cheers Gaffer.

Seagull over NZ

Jul 7, 2003
Bristol
I think a lot of people cannot believe in something that the human mind can not cope with - ie that denies the spiritual side of ourselves and the mere existence of God.

At the end of the day I believe I actually have a relationship with God through things that have happened in my life and supernatural experiences. As a result I have to have an element of faith about things my mind cannot comprehend.

I simply do not buy the whole big bang theory - when youbreak down things in the world, animals, humans, plants etc I just cannot conceive these things happened by accident. There must have been a creative force behind it. I do however believe that overtime things have evolved, that cannot be denied. However, I believe that in the beginning there was a creator.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Biscuit said:
Anyone here think the Bible is nothing more than a childrens book written thousands of years ago to teach people right from wrong, and the stories it contains are fiction, and they only serve as examples of how to treat each other with respect.. and that it was read and believed as gospell. No pun intended.

Nope.

But I do believe that it is inevitable that the endless translations of such a vast set of texts, by scholars of varying nationality and varying ability leaves us with something that should not necessarily always be read literally, but reflects the truth in a number of ways.

Analogy, Idioms and Metaphors are very hard to translate like-for-like ... the way I see it, the story of the feeding of the five thousand, for instance, may just be an allegory for Jesus' generosity etc.

Just my take on it all.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here