Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T Question for people who believe in God

I think you'll find that The Da Vinci Code PROVES that the Bible fails to tell the whole story.

The bloke that wrote it has been on the telly and EVERYTHING.

Last edited:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I havent read the whole thread but how can you believe in a theory.

A theory is just that, a theoriy. Not fact, not proven but someone's theory.

No I believe in design(creation) not evolution.

I'm far more worried about US fundamentalist politicians who claim to be acting out the Book of Revelation and the lead up to the apocalypse than I am about creationists who disagree with Darwin.

cdavis

May 14, 2004
See the old "God" topic is on again...! I find it difficult to understand why people are so passionate about believing or non-believing in God. Having wandered through 3/4 of my life now (according to the bible..!! ) it,s never failed to amaze me that no matter where in the world people are or what stage in history, there,s always been a "god".Tribes in deepest jungles in South America, who have never heard of the "civilised" world have "gods". American Indians had "Gods".What does this make me think...? that whoever you are, wherever you are, "god" is a good and convenient answer to the unknown............especially ......dying..! So,..what do I believe..? I believe.... I don,t know.......FACT...! I,ll just wait until I "peg-out"

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
There's actually a vicar who posts on here, isn't there? I've forgotten who it is, and it's not Vicar!

Come on! Give us the answer!

(If you're not too busy this weekend that is)

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Juan Albion is a man of the cloth.

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
It's all too easy to stop thinking, our brains anaesthetised by the idea that there's some kind of 'creator' at work. But even then, logic would still be demanding, "So who created this creator of yours?" and more seriously, "What's the point of God? What's in it for him?"

If the answer is that he's there, poor lamb, just to run the universe as a kind of celestial train set, and to love us, to look into our innermost thoughts, naughty stick behind his back, and for us to love him, then that does need some serious explanation. Especially with another 3 x 10 to the 44th identifiable stars and planets in our unimaginably vast universe, just spinning on their way, unconcernedly.

You might even start to say, "Hang on a minute. Maybe the truth is that WE actually invented HIM. The Nietzsche point. And you might then conclude that humans actually invented all religions as a means of social control – exercised inevitably by men, and always in men's selfish interests. With threats of horrible fires and eternal torture to keep any dissenters in line.

An increasing number of Europeans have come to see religion for the venerable old fraud that it really is. But that's a clarity of thought which, sadly and amazingly, seems to elude most Americans, and, depressingly, virtually all people born and indoctrinated into other, inescapable steel-trap dogmas like Islam. Perhaps Dubya and Osama really do deserve each other.

Jerry’s final thought: Only when human beings take over responsibility for their own lives, and begin thinking for themselves, can we be truly liberated from all the damage that religions have wrought over the millennia.

Last edited:

If you can recognise that you exist, then therefore you have been created.

Whatever you want to attribute your creation to (and sperm meets egg is without dispute, naturally, the method used for your creation) is 'God' .

QED - if you exist, then so must 'God' by whatever spectre or concept you might try to imagine.

You cannot know what God looks like or the reality of the concept until you 'meet your maker', which must require that you first be dead, therefore no longer exist as a physically created being bound by all of God's other binding creations (flesh of physical body, gravity, light, consciousness, ....time).

You have no choice but to accept that there is a direction and purpose for your existence, and this doesn't mean it matters to share that self-consideration. In actuality, you are born alone to have experiences and decisions alone, and ultimately die alone. You are responsible to your self, and you answer to your self as creation.....wherein exists the creator.

To refute a creator, when you absolutely can NOT conceive infinity, in space or time, is an ultimate ignorance and probably borne of frustration with your own mental limitations.

Granted, it is not possible to conceive what created all, what is infinite - but to refuse to believe it exists, is just stupid.

As is suggested in religious doctrine, it is ok to be blissful in ignorance, but not to be contentious in knowledge. This is why humility opens the way for knowledge.

To question God is the recognition of God, but answers can only be realised with humility.
The meek inherit the Earth? They certainly do stand a better chance than the defiant or those who already consider themselves wise (in my humble opinion)

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
"Now it is such a bizarrely improbably coincidence that anything so mindbogglingly useful [the Babel fish] could have evolved by chance that some thinkers have chosen to see it as a final and clinching proof of the non-existence of God.

The argument goes something like this: “I refuse to prove that I exist,” says God, “for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing.”

“But,” says Man, “the Babel fish is a dead giveaway isn’t it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don’t. QED.”
“Oh dear,” says God, “I hadn’t thought of that,” and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic."

Douglas Adams.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
six_yard_punisha said:
"Now it is such a bizarrely improbably coincidence that anything so mindbogglingly useful [the Babel fish] could have evolved by chance that some thinkers have chosen to see it as a final and clinching proof of the non-existence of God.

The argument goes something like this: “I refuse to prove that I exist,” says God, “for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing.”

“But,” says Man, “the Babel fish is a dead giveaway isn’t it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don’t. QED.”
“Oh dear,” says God, “I hadn’t thought of that,” and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic."

Douglas Adams.

RIP.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Gilliver's Travels said:
It's all too easy to stop thinking, our brains anaesthetised by the idea that there's some kind of 'creator' at work.

Jerry’s final thought: Only when human beings take over responsibility for their own lives, and begin thinking for themselves, can we be truly liberated from all the damage that religions have wrought over the millennia.

It is by taking responsibility and making the choice that makes life harder for a Christian. All the mocking for example. I could do without it but I will never deny my God for all the mocking.

I have faith but can never prove it. It works for me but believe me it isnt an easy option.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Theory vs Faith.

Just because evolution is a "theory" doesnt mean that its wrong. In fact its a demonstration of science's admission that it doesnt know every little detail and that there are still questions to be answered. Look through science, everything is theory of this, theory of that, yet most concern things that we can observe in everyday life. For example, Theory of Relativity, which tells us why a siren changes pitch as it passes us, or that a car traveling at 20mph towards another traveling at 30mph has a relative speed of 50mph. Its just that their are other complex aspects that aren't completly answered, so the theory is still in need of adjustment.

On the other hand, Faith requires one to simply accept. Thats it. It is becuase some bloke on a stage tells you that its written in some book. No evidence, no falsification, no inquiry.

Belief in science and belief in religion mean very different things.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I didnt accept faith because someone told me to do it. I read the Bible and thought about it for myself. I then took that 'step of faith' and have found it works.

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
Yorkie said:
I didnt accept faith because someone told me to do it. I read the Bible and thought about it for myself. I then took that 'step of faith' and have found it works.

What is the 'step of faith'?

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Yorkie said:

Good on you mate. Stay true to your beliefs. If you go with your heart then how can it be wrong?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here