Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T Politically will it be 1992 all over again?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I remember the Thatchers years very well indeed. I remember that feeling of being cast adrift as she told everyone to ''Stand on their own two feet''
I remember the 3 years I spent trying to get back into the building industry to resume my apprentiship and then being told as a 20 year old to get on my bike and go and find work by that c unt of a henchman of hers.

She never forgot how the unions were partly responsible for the demise of Heath and vowed that would never let that happen again but cared not one iota for all the hardship and hurt she left all around her during that period in her personal battle with working class men and women. I remember all the communities devastated during her reign and I swore I would never vote Tory in my life time because of her.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Apologies - maybe that was a tad strong. I do find it quite weird that people see Thatcher as a complete **** though. She did alot of bad - she also did alot of good. And as I said she had balls *in a non nutty Sarah Palin way*

I don't pretend to know enough about Thatcher to give a good critique. Perhaps I should've left it to the grown ups.

MikeySmall

Jul 7, 2003
BRIGHTON
I don't pretend to know enough about Thatcher to give a good critique. Perhaps I should've left it to the grown ups.

The way most of the grown ups behave on here its probably best not to. I don't even know why im arguing. I was only 11. :tantrum::tantrum::tantrum:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I think the key question for this election is 'Will I be more likely to keep my job, be able to pay my bills and mortgage, be able to keep something like my current lifestyle, under labour or the tories?'

This is the ultimate self-interest question and hasn't really been asked for about 20 years. I just think that Cameron and Osbourne banging on about severe cutbacks in order to balance the books will backfire on them. People may well reply 'B*gg*r the books, what will that do in my company that is dependent on government contracts to keep afloat? What will that then do to my mortgage if I'm out of work and interest rates go up to 5% or more?'.

its a fair point but there will be cuts under Labour, the economic situation is the same for both. Brown/Darling (actully less so Darling) are fooling themselves and the public if they think its over and they can carry on as before. i think enough middle ground votes understand this.

but as for interest rates at 5%, i imagine most people would do the same as a couple of years ago when they were at that rate before.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
this is the point I was trying to make when talking about how Conservatives do better in elections than the pre election polls would suggest. There are many people who hold the I'm alright Jack view and are proud to display it in public. There are many more, when asked for a survey, would never wish to admit it but will vote that way in an election.

Be thankful that Bushy is proud to display it
I appreciate what you're saying , but the 'i'm alright jack ' adage is naturally followed with 'so sod you'. I personally dont feel like that , what i will do is vote for the party that is best for ME and MY family and HOPE that other people get by ok, the same as every single right minded person will.

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
I think it's interesting the way people think things have got worse. To be fair schools are hugely improved because of the investment labout have made but I think some people have a deep psychological need to feel all things are getting worse. Now I'm not arguing that tschools are perfect, but my experience is that a lot of the problems are caused by the way we bring up our children and not through failings of govt or those working in education.

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
I appreciate what you're saying , but the 'i'm alright jack ' adage is naturally followed with 'so sod you'. I personally dont feel like that , what i will do is vote for the party that is best for ME and MY family and HOPE that other people get by ok, the same as every single right minded person will.

I like the "right minded person" bit. Always a good tactic to smear those arguing against you.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
I like the "right minded person" bit. Always a good tactic to smear those arguing against you.
Not really, its just stating that you'd have to be a little soft in the head to vote for a government that would genuinely disadvantage you and your family, i hope this clears it up for you.

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
Not really, its just stating that you'd have to be a little soft in the head to vote for a government that would genuinely disadvantage you and your family, i hope this clears it up for you.

Are you 3 foot tall. I only ask because so much seems to go over your head, because not everyone would agree what is best for them and their family.

Tesco in Disguise

Where do we go from here?
Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
it's a tad short-sighted to vote on specific policies. over the term of a government situations will arise that were never mentioned in a manifesto. it could be argued it is more sensible to vote according to your broad ideology.

the conservatives have been, and always will be, the party of the rich. to argue against this is nonsense. this is how they were born and underpins everything they stand for. they can claim that it is noble to believe in the rights of the individual, but what's in the interest of the best-off is not in the interests of all of us. the trickle-down effect has been proved wrong. people are rightfully ashamed of admitting they vote tory: it shows you care more about yourself (or, perhaps, your family/class) than you do about improving society as a whole.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
it's a tad short-sighted to vote on specific policies. over the term of a government situations will arise that were never mentioned in a manifesto. it could be argued it is more sensible to vote according to your broad ideology.

the conservatives have been, and always will be, the party of the rich. to argue against this is nonsense. this is how they were born and underpins everything they stand for. they can claim that it is noble to believe in the rights of the individual, but what's in the interest of the best-off is not in the interests of all of us. the trickle-down effect has been proved wrong. people are rightfully ashamed of admitting they vote tory: it shows you care more about yourself (or, perhaps, your family/class) than you do about improving society as a whole.
Complete and utter drivel....what a load of bull!!

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath

I absolutely care more about my family than society as a whole.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

Not really always that simple though, is it? Life is complex and the policy that benefits you on, say education, may be tied to a policy that is detrimental to you on business.

So what is good for "you and your family"? voting against that party to avoid their business policy so as to protect your income, or voting for that party to invest in your child's future?

Can you honestly say that someone who takes the opposite view in that situation is "soft in the head"?

What about people who rather than voting for a direct immediate advantage, would vote for something that may be detrimental or indifferent in the short term, but improves society in general and which will lead to a benefit for you in the long term? Is that sort of voting tactic "soft in the head"?

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Not really always that simple though, is it? Life is complex and the policy that benefits you on, say education, may be tied to a policy that is detrimental to you on business.
Thats true to a certain extent, i've got a mate who really should be a labour voter but is going to vote conservative due to a policy that directly concerns him.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath

So what is good for "you and your family"? voting against that party to avoid their business policy so as to protect your income, or voting for that party to invest in your child's future?

Can you honestly say that someone who takes the opposite view in that situation is "soft in the head"?

What about people who rather than voting for a direct immediate advantage, would vote for something that may be detrimental or indifferent in the short term, but improves society in general and which will lead to a benefit for you in the long term? Is that sort of voting tactic "soft in the head"?

thanks, i was so worried i'd have to continue this debate.
Anyone who does otherwise is a liar or a fool, which are you ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here