Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T Politically will it be 1992 all over again?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Do you remember the winter of discontent? If so what would YOUR solution have been , how did the thatcher years adversely affect you then ? can your answer be in a non trendy , empathy with some gritty northern industrial town type of way please ?

I was 7 years old in 1978, so industrial relations were not really on my agenda, at that time.

As for how her policies affected me directly, probably most directly by the removal of student grants, a lack of employment opportunities, and by the ridiculous housing prices that her government encouraged.

And as for your second part. Actually thinking of other people, rather than solely yourself is not 'trendy'. It's called being grown-up. Its also about taking a broader view. Taking the 'I'm alright Jack' route is all very well, but those miners and car plant workers and all the others that you and the tories don't give a shit about, will end up costing YOU money, through benefits, through the economic and social cost of the meltdown of those communities.

But hey, Greed is Good.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Nah it was a full smurf "hero" themed pic, to show my love for HKFC coming to my rescue.

Yeah, there was a picture that said blue buddies and had a smurf (wearing red) on the right end of it.

edit: Ah, I see blue buddies is a smurf site, and that image was most likely a bandwidth stealing thingy...

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Yeah, there was a picture that said blue buddies and had a smurf (wearing red) on the right end of it.

Yeah that was an ad for the website, for some reason the pic I had posted converted into that.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Yeah that was an ad for the website, for some reason the pic I had posted converted into that.

Yup. Just edited my post after realising that. I thought blue buddies was some sort of albion fan community...

Going off topic, I discovered these on a reecent trip to lapland:

2651727873_80d31a0d31.jpg

They are apple flavour.

MikeySmall

Jul 7, 2003
BRIGHTON
No it wasn't. It is common knowledge that for many people the Thatcher era was depressing.

For many people yes. I think alot of people only remember the bad shit though. At least she had some balls and made her own decisions. Gordon Brown would shit himself if he was in the same situation. I reckon what is happening now is pretty damn bad to be honest. As you weren't alive during the period probably best to shut up i reckon.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
For many people yes. I think alot of people only remember the bad shit though. At least she had some balls and made her own decisions. Gordon Brown would shit himself if he was in the same situation. I reckon what is happening now is pretty damn bad to be honest. As you weren't alive during the period probably best to shut up i reckon.

Brilliant. Well done. Seeing as you've missed the point by roughly 47 miles probably best to shut up I reckon.

:thumbsup:

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
And as for your second part. Actually thinking of other people, rather than solely yourself is not 'trendy'. It's called being grown-up. Its also about taking a broader view. Taking the 'I'm alright Jack' route is all very well, but those miners and car plant workers and all the others that you and the tories don't give a shit about, will end up costing YOU money, through benefits, through the economic and social cost of the meltdown of those communities.

But hey, Greed is Good.

this is the point I was trying to make when talking about how Conservatives do better in elections than the pre election polls would suggest. There are many people who hold the I'm alright Jack view and are proud to display it in public. There are many more, when asked for a survey, would never wish to admit it but will vote that way in an election.

Be thankful that Bushy is proud to display it

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
I think the key question for this election is 'Will I be more likely to keep my job, be able to pay my bills and mortgage, be able to keep something like my current lifestyle, under labour or the tories?'

This is the ultimate self-interest question and hasn't really been asked for about 20 years. I just think that Cameron and Osbourne banging on about severe cutbacks in order to balance the books will backfire on them. People may well reply 'B*gg*r the books, what will that do in my company that is dependent on government contracts to keep afloat? What will that then do to my mortgage if I'm out of work and interest rates go up to 5% or more?'.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
You're right. I must of mis-read the thread title. Ah no I didn't. Entirely relevant.

Not really. All I said is that to suggest all "wasn't sweetness and light" under Thatcher is an understatement. As has been heavily discussed on here, regardless of the reasons/my personal experience, that is a fair statement.

So quite why I've been told to shut up I don't know, seems unnecessarily rude to me, but I suppose as it's an internet message board I should be expecting that kind of hostile reception for no good reason.

I'm not yet convinced that the we are into 1992 territory yet. The Sun coming out so early in favour of Cameroon may have a positive effect for the tories.

What may yet have an effect is viral campaigns such as www.mydavidcameron.com, which we haven't really seen influence the outcome of an election before, but may well do so this time. I think the tories will get in, but only just.

sturgeon2.jpg

Don' know about the politics of it but the website made me chortle!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i think Labour will f*** it. keep banging on about Cameron going to Eton plays nicely to Labour faithfull, most average people dont give a shit. given the state of most schools, most people would pay for their kids to go private if they could.

yesturday Brown launched a new plan to rejig (or "rig") the election process. when asked why he isnt doing anything to address the actual problems of parliment he accused Cameron of obstructing progress. does anyone, except Libdems, care about electoral reform? sort out MPs expenses including accepting and pursuing criminal cases for the extreme ones (surely the police/CPS have been leant on not to) is what people want, not a ballot paper to show they can count to 8 (a potential problem in some areas...).

If we do get a hung parliment with Labour the largest party, Brown will still be out by the Autumn, probably resulting in a new election as the people call the previous one a sham.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
I was 7 years old in 1978, so industrial relations were not really on my agenda, at that time.

As for how her policies affected me directly, probably most directly by the removal of student grants, a lack of employment opportunities, and by the ridiculous housing prices that her government encouraged.

But hey, Greed is Good.
you were 7 in 78 ? so you would've left university around 1992? so how exactly did thatchers policies cause a lack of employment opportunities for you ?? how did her government encourage ridiculous house prices ? surely the sale of council houses( which i disagree with) would've put more stock on the market , thus lowering prices , and as for your final point , i care deeply about miners etc, but im a realist , most of our industry was ridiculously uncompetitive , mired in outdated practices and regulations, i have first hand experience of this through my dad , who worked in such an industry and was on strike for a year before they lost finally, so dont lecture me on an 'alright jack approach' unless your experience is a little more relevant than some romantic ideal of a downtrodden son of toil.

Last edited:

larus

But hey, Greed is Good.

All those lovely sweet miners going out on strike, causing power cuts. Yep, they really were caring about everyone else. They were holding the country to ransom. Labour ALWAYS FUCKS UP the economy. SPEND, SPEND, SPEND, forget about how we pay for it. The 'boom' years under Labour have been an illusion, all built on debt.

How can anyone in their right mind say that this Labour Government has done a good job? What industried have flourished under Labour?

We have become a country of spongers, and 'something for nothing' merchants. We have to wise up that we need to work harder than we have had to for the last 20 years or so. The years of cheap imports based on slave wages is over, as the developing countries want what we have.

MikeySmall

Jul 7, 2003
BRIGHTON
Not really. All I said is that to suggest all "wasn't sweetness and light" under Thatcher is an understatement. As has been heavily discussed on here, regardless of the reasons/my personal experience, that is a fair statement.

So quite why I've been told to shut up I don't know, seems unnecessarily rude to me, but I suppose as it's an internet message board I should be expecting that kind of hostile reception for no good reason.

Apologies - maybe that was a tad strong. I do find it quite weird that people see Thatcher as a complete **** though. She did alot of bad - she also did alot of good. And as I said she had balls *in a non nutty Sarah Palin way*

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here