Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T Politically will it be 1992 all over again?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Then perhaps you shouldn't post such authoritive statements about it being an early contender for 'understatement of the year 2010'.

I wasn't around in the trenches of World War 2, but I could be confident that to say "it was occasionally a little bit frightening" would be a good shout for Understatement of the Year 2010.

I don't live in the most poverty-stricken parts of Africa, but I could be confident that to say "occasionally the odd person gets a bit peckish" would be a good shout for Understatement of the Year 2010.

Dunno where this idea of "authority" has come from. It's an internet message board. Everyone comes here to give their opinions. That's how it works.

Tesco in Disguise

Where do we go from here?
Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
The lumpenproletariat must be disenfranchised. Democracy simply doesn't work.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
I wasn't around in the trenches of World War 2, but I could be confident that to say "it was occasionally a little bit frightening" would be a good shout for Understatement of the Year 2010.

I don't live in the most poverty-stricken parts of Africa, but I could be confident that to say "occasionally the odd person gets a bit peckish" would be a good shout for Understatement of the Year 2010.

Dunno where this idea of "authority" has come from. It's an internet message board. Everyone comes here to give their opinions. That's how it works.
Your post was deliberately slanted to sound as if you had personal experiences or memories of the period.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Come on mate, don't be ridiculous, we both know a large number of people were not happy under Thatcher. Arguing otherwise is like arguing black is white, it's well documented, let's leave it there.

That's one of the problems with a democracy, particularly those with two dominant parties. When one is in charge the followers of the other don't think their life is particularly enjoyable.

A large number of people are unhappy under labour now.

A large number of people were unhappy under the conservatives.

Whoever wins the next election there will be a large number of people unhappy.

It reminds me of just after Obama won the presidential election, some republican voter was interviewed on TV and he said "it's ok. People will realise these liberals are wrong and they'll give us back the white house. They always do". Completely ignorant of the fact when the republicans get the house, it always goes back to liberals. Politics is cylical. They can't keep everyone happy so it's a revolving door.

With a society with such diverse interests and levels of wealth, no party is going to keep them all happy for long periods of time. We are happy for change then realise we didn't like this government before, welcome the other in for a change, then realise we didn't like them either...

There are lots of people who are happy under the current government, as there were lots of peoplpe happy under the tories.

I'v just reached my thirties, and was a kid under the last tory government, so I was oblivious to the financial struggles. I was just finishing college when labour took over and so their decisions are the first to affect me. I look back and remember the gay abandon of my childhood and so don't see the trouble of a tory government. Not that I'm a tory supporter, and won't likely vote for them, just pointing out how some of my generation may feel.

Last edited:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Your post was deliberately slanted to sound as if you had personal experiences or memories of the period.

No it wasn't. It is common knowledge that for many people the Thatcher era was depressing.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

No it wasn't.

I remember it, though. And it WAS shit, and she WAS a bitch. Is that okay?

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
In 1994 before John Smith died, Labour had a 19% lead in the polls. The margin on election day (after Tony Blair becoming leader and various sleaze scandals with the conservatives) in terms of real votes was 13%.

Also I think it will be tough for the Tories to come into power (with a largest party but no outright majority, or a small but majority,) make the same or more cuts than Labour and go back to the country 6 months later in the hope of a greater margin.

To echo Acker's point The Sun ran a poll a few weeks ago where people were asked if they thought that they were better off under labour on a number of factors (health, education, crime, defence, financially, employment, etc) and on almost every item people answered no in a majority. The YouGov comments on that (which the sun didn't publish) were that on at least two of those, it is generally accepted by all sides that people are better off than they were in 1997.

Jambo Seagull

Jul 18, 2003
The Athens of the North
Anybody who thinks that the current Labour government is anything like as divisive as the Tories under Thatcher is living in cloud-cuckoo land.

A lot of people did very well under Thatch (Bushy being one of them I presume) but the wrecking ball she took to the industrial North of England, Wales and Scotland means that it will be generations before a Tory will be trusted in these parts again.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
No it wasn't.

I remember it, though. And it WAS shit, and she WAS a bitch. Is that okay?
Yes it was.
Do you remember the winter of discontent? If so what would YOUR solution have been , how did the thatcher years adversely affect you then ? can your answer be in a non trendy , empathy with some gritty northern industrial town type of way please ?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Thatcher hated the working man and did everything in her power to weaken him.

The legacy of Thatcher is that this country owns no industry, as she sold it all on the cheap.

Similarly we have a massive shortage of council housing stock, as she used it all to buy votes.

Many of football's ills are also down to the culture of greed she promoted. As an aside, she obviously hated football too, and basically tried to criminalise all football fans. Again - it was a working man's pursuit, and we've covered that.

Hope she dies soon.

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
Bushy, what about Thatchers attitude to football supporters. It was after all her government that tried to bring in compulsory id cards for entry to matches

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

No it wasn't. It is common knowledge that for many people the Thatcher era was depressing.

Yes it was.

No, it REALLY wasn't. Stop being annoying for the sake of it.

No it wasn't.

Yes it was.

1405.jpg

Yes! I've been looking for an excuse to use that for ages!

Darn it. I had a nice picture there, didn't work. Oh well.

I saw it. Blue buddies, right?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here