Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] O/T Beginning of Afghanistan War

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
British foreign secretary Dominic Raab called the Taliban takeover “a new reality”.

“We’re making it clear with our partners with all the means at our disposal, that we will hold the Taliban to account, to its commitments, to have a new start in Afghanistan,” he said.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
If the writer is correct then the outgoing Afghan Government have a hand in the present circumstances.

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...an-afghanistan-rule-hardline-coalition-powers

the only people to blame are the now previous Afgan government who apparently couldn't really govern or control thier military. no point blaming US and UK for a planned withdrawal thats been accelerated due to their armed forces giving up. as of right now we're leaving peacefully, so technically mission accomplished. just the wrong group left behind in power.

other thing that article talks about is the Taliban's approach to governance. they've had 20 years to think about how they'd do that, they might be more moderate than before. not what we'd like, but if most the locals arent that fussed, what exactly are we to do? we've been told for half a century not to be imperialists, cant start demanding imperialist control now.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Of course. The history isn’t in dispute. It just doesn’t help us much right now. Western powers were to blame for the terms under which WW1 ended but 25 years later politicians were facing Hitler and it was too late to worry about what went on before. I think we are in agreement that very poor historical American policy decisions have played a big part in creating this problem but that doesn’t really get us anywhere. I am more concerned with the debacle unfolding right now.

The history is important when the argument for leaving Aghanistan to it, is that it isn't our problem, and that is the major point I was trying and failing to make.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
Amazing your empathy disappears if the poor souls are in an inflatable dinghy.

The poor souls are in genuine fear of the their lives, they are desperate to escape from a seventh century bunch of savages.
The criminals arriving by dinghy on the shores of Kent are piss taking chancers crossing from a safe country, France.
Stop being so silly and go and eat some humus.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
The poor souls are in genuine fear of the their lives, they are desperate to escape from a seventh century bunch of savages.
The criminals arriving by dinghy on the shores of Kent are piss taking chancers crossing from a safe country, France.
Stop being so silly and go and eat some humus.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don’t really eat compost, although you do talk a lot of shit.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Biden explains the withdrawal from Afghanistan

On R5 now, live.

I can't really argue with him. What is to be gained by creating a puppet state, gifted equipment, training and a bespoke political system, who when left to defend their country against the zealots simply run away?

I assume this now formally ends the idea of America as the 'world policeman'. Removing heads of state for being hostile to America (the conceit). A policeman with as much idea as the nobs who fitted up the Birmingham six, and hob nobbed with Kenneth Noye. World policeman....my arse.

China, with little concern for human rights abuses (Afghani women in this case) has already stepped in.

Damned if you do, but I see that Biden has little choice. 'Not in our national security interest; not what our troops deserve'.

A pity they didn't realise the same after Korea. And Vietnam. Flat track bullies......

The alt right are already after Biden, albeit Trump planned the withdrawal to have happened back in May.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I pretty much agree with Biden.

It should have ended with Bin Laden.

The mission creep beyond that lead to today.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
His arguments were convincing.

Horrendous decision to have to make, but can't honestly say i'd have done the opposite were I in his shoes.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
On R5 now, live.

I can't really argue with him. What is to be gained by creating a puppet state, gifted equipment, training and a bespoke political system, who when left to defend their country against the zealots simply run away?

I assume this now formally ends the idea of America as the 'world policeman'. Removing heads of state for being hostile to America (the conceit). A policeman with as much idea as the nobs who fitted up the Birmingham six, and hob nobbed with Kenneth Noye. World policeman....my arse.

China, with little concern for human rights abuses (Afghani women in this case) has already stepped in.

Damned if you do, but I see that Biden has little choice. 'Not in our national security interest; not what our troops deserve'.

A pity they didn't realise the same after Korea. And Vietnam. Flat track bullies......

The alt right are already after Biden, albeit Trump planned the withdrawal to have happened back in May.

I thought the guy on after Biden was making some very valid points….anyway right now it must be a very scary place to live and my concern would be for ordinary men women and children…particularly the latter two

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Bin laden went to Pakistan in 2002….personally tonight was all about America first second third and forth,,,I thought it was Trump speaking

New boss same as old boss, very little has changed behind the scenes, now we just have a dickhead doing what he's doing quietly and with less scrutiny as opposed to doing it like an utter psychopath like Trump was.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
"There is no chance one more year, five more years or 20 more years of American boots on the ground would make any difference.

It is wrong to ask American troops when Afghanistan’s would not.”

Biden

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here