Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T A Few Good Men - a campaign for more men in schools, nurseries and childminding!

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Some of you may know that a couple of years ago, I organised an event in Brighton to encourage more men to seek work in nurseries and primary schools. North Stand Chat provided a great source of opinion about what people thought about men working in these areas.
See this thread O/T A Few Good Men event - campaign for more male nursery workers and teachers

The event itself was a big success. For some of the men there it was the first time many had a safe space to share many of the concerns they had about how they would be perceived or to ask the questions they wished to ask about being men in predominantly female professions. It was also a celebration of the different qualities and energy men bring to the job. Some men got employment working with children after the event.

Two years on, I still stand for a world where men have a positive role to play in the lives of all children. Again, I would like to see whether anyone on NSC would like to come to such an event or whether you know anyone who might be interested in becoming teachers, nursery workers, play workers and childminders.

This may include male graduates, social care workers, dads, or indeed any other men looking for a new career.

The event is on Wednesday 12th October, 7pm, at Honeycroft Centre, Sackville Road (at the end of Clarendon Road), Hove, BN3 3WF.

Finally, I am currently building a team of people to make the event a success. Would you like to join? In addition, I would like the team to have experience in each of the main jobs where people work with children. So far, I haven't found any male childminders!! Does anyone know any?

Last edited:

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Great, thanks, Wilko. That's great to hear!

tedebear

Legal Alien
NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Not going near any debates on this again! :lol:

Think I got called prejudiced and TLO told me I speak bullshit. Delight!

Good luck anyhow, my previous feelings on nursery and childminding still stand, but I hope you find more men for infants and primary schools!

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
My primary school was one of the few that actually had more male teachers than female, if I remember correctly they had 6 male teachers out of 9.

Having said that one of them was a bit of a mentalist and had a nervous breakdown when his car engine blew up, but that's another story.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Not going near any debates on this again! :lol:

Think I got called prejudiced and TLO told me I speak bullshit. Delight!

Good luck anyhow, my previous feelings on nursery and childminding still stand, but I hope you find more men for infants and primary schools!

On this subject, you are prejudiced.

You might want to stick with your ideals, but they're not exactly progressive nor inclusive.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I'm on your ignore list - wahey! I never knew that. I never knew I was on anyone's - let alone 'quite a few others'.

Excellent news, you feeble-minded, shit-headed, fuckwitted, unflushed turd.

So they can see it :laugh:

tedebear

Legal Alien
NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
On this subject, you are prejudiced.

You might want to stick with your ideals, but they're not exactly progressive nor inclusive.

Sadly TLO your post to Chez shows your true colours and outweighs any meaningful debate which may have ensued. I'm not prejudiced - just realistic about what parents want and prefer.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Sadly TLO your post to Chez shows your true colours and outweighs any meaningful debate which may have ensued. I'm not prejudiced - just realistic about what parents want and prefer.

Sorry to WADE in, but if you believe men should not be in these jobs then you very much are prejudiced.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
What the OP fails to mention is that a third of men born after 1957 have criminal records, this and the CRB checks will exclude many. Also the way the law has ring fenced female biological rights will ean you will always be fighting a losing battle.

I dont see the need for more male teachers, its other factors that have greater influence.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Sorry to WADE in, but if you believe men should not be in these jobs then you very much are prejudiced.

why is this beleif a prejudice? It may be wrong, it may be biased but to say its born out by antipathy towards men make you look a tool.

tedebear

Legal Alien
NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer

I don't BELIEVE they shouldn't be in these jobs, I have said previously that women do them better as is historically the case. Show me a man who can change nappies (including the yellow runny ones), sort crying children, high temperatures, the boys vs girls at the age of 3 etc, and I'd be pleased to see it. There are not many men who have the patience for this day in day out from 9 - 5m if you can find some then brilliant, I'm all for it. But personally most men I find do not wish to do this, and happily leave it to others, mostly women. That isn't prejudice - its reality. Lambast me if you wish, but if you mistake my reality for prejudice, then you're simply being wordsworths.

Once you get to school - I'm for more male teachers than you'd believe. Positively welcomed.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

Wrong on all counts.

We've had the meaningful debate, and your contention that men in nurseries and primary schools isn't a good thing is a pretty appalling, narrow-minded, blinkered attitude to take. It has no basis in progression and inclusivity. And - in my partner's experience (please don't insult the debate as you did before by mentioning 'she's not mainstream' - that's irrelevant) - it's certainly not indicative of what parents want and prefer.

It might be want you want, but as has been established, you are prejudiced.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
I'm on your ignore list - wahey! I never knew that. I never knew I was on anyone's - let alone 'quite a few others'.

Excellent news, you feeble-minded, shit-headed, fuckwitted, unflushed turd.

I wouldn't put you on ignore, I find your insecurities and general buffoonery amusing, plus it makes me feel superior to you..which I am.:)

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
why is this beleif a prejudice? It may be wrong, it may be biased but to say its born out by antipathy towards men make you look a tool.

Because she has pre judged men to not be as suitable for the job. Hence, why I used the word prejudice, errm, because that is what it means.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I don't BELIEVE they shouldn't be in these jobs, I have said previously that women do them better as is historically the case. Show me a man who can change nappies (including the yellow runny ones), sort crying children, high temperatures, the boys vs girls at the age of 3 etc, and I'd be pleased to see it. There are not many men who have the patience for this day in day out from 9 - 5m if you can find some then brilliant, I'm all for it. But personally most men I find do not wish to do this, and happily leave it to others, mostly women. That isn't prejudice - its reality. Lambast me if you wish, but if you mistake my reality for prejudice, then you're simply being wordsworths.

Once you get to school - I'm for more male teachers than you'd believe. Positively welcomed.

Bit backward don't you think? We may as well say that women should not be in positions of power because they cannot make decisions, get too emotional, spend too long doing their hair in the mirror and talk to much to get any work done. If men cannot change a nappy as well as a woman then are you happy to say that women should not work in a garage because they can't change a tyre as well as a man?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here