Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Numpty stewards at it again.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Who said it was a law ?? It's a condition of the safety certificate AND a leagure regulation. I'm not sure what the problem is - if you don't like the conditions of sale then don't buy the ticket. If you don't like the regulations then write to the club, the league, the FA, your MP and the Home Office - it's hardly the stewards fault. Of course for those who like to take the easy route it's far easier to call the stewards Nazis than take on the people who are really to blame.

Wind your neck in will you. Don't you think Brighton fans have had enough of writing letters to pompous officials, for all the good it will do? Idiot. All that's required is someone to knock some sense into the Withdean SS.

With all due respect, you don't need to tell me what the disabled area is like, I've been going in there for a number of seasons :lolol:

"A bit rough" - f*cking pathetic in my opinion. Surely those monitoring the CCTV have better things to do than zoom in on the helpers in the disabled area. Obviously not.

The stewards in there are great by the way.

As for the canopy, it was unavailable for ages whilst the club buggered around getting it fixed. I've never posted about that on here, but frankly it was disgraceful.

It was only recently that it was ever used when the wind was blowing.

As for getting in free I don't. Strictly speaking the season ticket is a "disabled person and helper", but I only do half a game in there and am the owner of a fully paid up season ticket.

Oh and by the way, if anyone from the club is reading this, I'm still waiting for a response.

No due respect required - I was (and am) in agreement with you and can only repeat that "it's barely a facility". I would certainly hope that the place which WILL be under club control will have superior disabled facilities. My memory serves that The Goldstone 'facilities' weren't all that brilliant for disabled supporters.
I'll have to mention that it's not necessarily up to the club, as you suggested, regards the fixing of things like the canvas canopy. Remember that Withdean Stadium doesn't belong to the club, and getting things 'fixed' isn't something the Albion have total control (or any control!) over in every instance.

But, for the cctv/standing issue, I can't comment, and it sounds like you have taken that issue up anyway, with the people who can.

Last edited:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
No due respect required - I was (and am) in agreement with you and can only repeat that "it's barely a facility". I would certainly hope that the place which WILL be under club control will have superior disabled facilities. My memory serves that The Goldstone 'facilities' weren't all that brilliant for disabled supporters either.
I'll have to mention that it's not necessarily up to the club, as you suggested, regards the fixing of it. Remember that Withdean Stadium doesn't belong to the club, and getting things 'fixed' isn't something the Albion have total control (or any control!) over in every instance.

But, for the cctv/standing issue, I can't comment, and it sounds like you have taken that issue up anyway, with the people who can.

I would have thought that the canopy being used ONLY for football supporters was ENTIRELY the responsibility of the club. Not that I am suggesting they are at all, but if the club had no control over the disabled facilities at a football league game, they'd be in a bit of a sticky situation.

I have no idea why the canopy was broken for ages, but quite frankly it was inexcusable.

Last edited:

Fazz62

Aug 27, 2008
No due respect required - I was (and am) in agreement with you and can only repeat that "it's barely a facility". I would certainly hope that the place which WILL be under club control will have superior disabled facilities. My memory serves that The Goldstone 'facilities' weren't all that brilliant for disabled supporters.
I'll have to mention that it's not necessarily up to the club, as you suggested, regards the fixing of things like the canvas canopy. Remember that Withdean Stadium doesn't belong to the club, and getting things 'fixed' isn't something the Albion have total control (or any control!) over in every instance.

NMH

"My memory serves that The Goldstone 'facilities' weren't all that brilliant for disabled supporters".

You are correct.
Unless being put by the corner post in the south west of the ground was a good spot? Wasnt exactly the best "vantage" point to watch the match!!

I would have thought that the canopy being used ONLY for football supporters was ENTIRELY the responsibility of the club. Not that I am suggesting they are at all, but if the club had no control over the disabled facilities at a football league game, they'd be in a bit of a sticky situation.

I have no idea why the canopy was broken for ages, but quite frankly it was inexcusable.

I'm not there all week, nor was I familiar with Withdean Stadium enough before The Albion took residence - to know the history of the canvas canopy. In an ideal world, BHAFC would have complete control and responsibility for all the facilities and environment hosted, but as you and I know....... Withdean is borrowed, and the ideal world is not quite under construction yet.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I actually don't mind the view from there at all. It's great when the action is done there and you can actually here the voices on the pitch.

One thing that isn't great is the press photographers who sit right in the view of the supporters there.

I would again liketo emphasize that my general support of stewards is because of my experience in there. There are absolutely 100% spot on and I can't thank them enough for making the general miserable Withdean experience bearable

So thanks to one and all.

Another thing is also when subs congregate around the corner flag funnily enough :lolol: It can completely obscure anything going on at the other end, but you can never reasonably ask them not to do that..

.. I have seen stewards ask them to move though, and good on the stewards.

Imagine stewards helping the supporters ! .. yes all you steward baiters is does actually happen.

Would be appear to be quite a simply to ban photographers on that side, but apparently not.

Last edited:

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
I think we know exactly where this is coming from and it isn't the stewards.

I was asked to sit down a few weeks after being observed over the CCTV as standing in a non seating stadium.

I was standing behind my dad's wheelchair in the disabled area on the running track.

The reason being that there wasn't much room in there, it was raining and we made sure all the disabled fans were under the canopy.

So for 3 or 4 of us there was no way room to sit down with the person we are supposed to looking after. There simply wasn't room.

I had no choice but to stand behind my dad's wheelchair with my back to the fence. Quite frankly I would rather have been sitting down.

Apparently this was deemed to against the rules of the stadium and had to leave my dad and sit on a chair on the running track well away from him. Actually just away from the canopy, so not only did I get soaked from the rain - I had to endure the rain pouring off that as well :)

I'm still waiting for an explanation from the club over this act of utter utter pettiness.

But not the fault of the stewards, there were quite frankly embarressed to be making such a request.

The lunatics really are running the asylum CG, that's almost unbelievable. Almost.

I'm fast becoming a fully paid up member of the withdean stay away club, partly because of treatment like this I've received a couple of times. I can't be bothered with them acting in this way, it's partly why I gave up my season ticket after 11 years this season. I end up in a row and the only person that gets upset for hours afterwards is me. I thought I'd miss the Albion a lot more than I am doing on my 'gap year', I'm beginning to understand what people refer to as getting 'out of the habit'. My former die-hard status has definately down-graded to handful of games only. But the club doesn't seem to care about losing fans or they'd do something about stewards and their sales prevention policies. So f*** 'em. Good luck but don't hold your breath waiting for Ken Brown to answer your letter - the next comet's likely to make an appearance before he does.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I'm not there all week, nor was I familiar with Withdean Stadium enough before The Albion took residence - to know the history of the canvas canopy. In an ideal world, BHAFC would have complete control and responsibility for all the facilities and environment hosted, but as you and I know....... Withdean is borrowed, and the ideal world is not quite under construction yet.

Not worth going on about the canvas it's fixed now, but there was no excuse about getting it fixed. Absolutely no excuse at all. A vague excuse that the stadium isn't under the control of the club and it was allowed to sit there flapping around doing nothing is a rather weak.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Not the fault of the stewards at all, and partly regretting I posted this on an anti-steward thread.

Just re-read my original thread and realised I said Withdean was a non seating stadium :)

Fazz62

Aug 27, 2008
NHM

Yesterday you were boasting on NSC about your experience when "you helped police with there enquiries" to look under cubicles in a mens public toilet!!

Tonight you are posting the following!!.........................

"Who cares where other people get allowed to stand, smoke, wank , shout etc etc "

I am starting to worry about you!! ???

ps is "wanking" at Withdean against ground regulations?

NMH

Still waiting for an answer?

Is it? ???

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Wind your neck in will you. Don't you think Brighton fans have had enough of writing letters to pompous officials, for all the good it will do? Idiot. All that's required is someone to knock some sense into the Withdean SS.

It's nothing to do with being a Brighton fan - the stewards are trying to enforce the rules - the same rules every club is MEANT to abide by. Try picking on the rule makers rather than the stewards - or are you too stupid to understand that the stewards don'tmake the rules ??

It's the pompous officials that have made the rules and ONLY them that can revoke them so anybody that is so stupid to think that complaining about the stewards will change the situation has clearly already had a lobotomy.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
It is very bizarre this anti steward thing as today when I entered the ground another fan took great exception and was quite forceful to a steward who dared to ask to search him.

I go into the ground every week with a bag on my bag yet never appear to have it checked.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
It is very bizarre this anti steward thing as today when I entered the ground another fan took great exception and was quite forceful to a steward who dared to ask to search him.

I go into the ground every week with a bag on my bag yet never appear to have it checked.

In fairness the long skirt, lipstick and wig probably fools them.

I noticed the full "frisk" was in use today and havent seen that for a while.

My recollection is that the canopy was originally installed at the expense of a sponsor - a sponsor of the football club, not the landlord.

It therefore belongs to the Club and should be maintained by the Club.

Am I alone in feeling uncomfortable about individual stewards coming on NSC and offering "freelance" (and not necessarily correct) responses on topics that have already been raised with the Club, but not answered? That's not the way to deliver customer satisfaction.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here