Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NSC slowing down

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
If its really that much of an issue... Firefox, AdBlockPlus and select one/two of main lists or customise your own.
Personally, I remove just about everything thats not essential (Ads, google/facebook/twitter trackers, etc - sorry Bozza!). Makes all my surfing fast and ad free!

S'ok - using the site is about to become like walking through treacle and you won't be able to turn it off. Enjoy!

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
A logged in member still has relatively few adverts (a 'guest' has more) but none should slow down the site.

There was a reported issue last week with Skimlinks which impacted some users, notably those using IE8, and I turned it off and the impacted users reported that this improved things dramatically. I got in touch with Skimlinks who acknowledged the problem and said they'd fixed it. I then re-applied Skimlinks to the site.

Since then there have been a few isolated 'the site is going slowly' reports but nothing in any great volume. I'm happy to turn Skimlinks off again, for now, to see if it improves things for those who are experiencing slowness.

Please note, however, that with NSC costing anywhere up to £500 per month to host, a degree of advertising will remain, but I would never willingly accept a degradation of site performance just to include an advert.

Why does it cost that much to host? I pay £10 per month to host 5 sites and 2 of them take a lot of space....

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Why does it cost that much to host? I pay £10 per month to host 5 sites and 2 of them take a lot of space....

I believe we run on a dedicated server, hence the cost and no drop in performance when 1000+ people are trying to view the signing of Vicente simultaneously.

Dedicated 24/7 servers don't come cheap.

Out of interest Bozza, do you know what size the database currently is?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I believe we run on a dedicated server, hence the cost and no drop in performance when 1000+ people are trying to view the signing of Vicente simultaneously.

Dedicated 24/7 servers don't come cheap.

Out of interest Bozza, do you know what size the database currently is?

We're not on a dedicated server right now, but in the Rackspace cloud. This means we only get charged for the resources we use, but gives us (almost) unlimited capacity to cope with usage peaks.

The amount of space we take up is not an issue - NSC is relatively small, taking up only about 17gb currently as follows:

Data: 7.15gb
Indexes: 3.35gb
Attachments: 6.78gb

Storing a data or a site is dirt cheap. If NSC only had the occasional user then it would only cost pennies to run. However to support the current user base, which often sees us with 1200 concurrent users (peaking at c2500), on a very SQL intensive site with decent performance takes a lot of grunt. This isn't bandwidth, shunting data in and out, but raw computer processing. We also need redundancy so that if something goes 'BANG!' the site stays up. That doesn't come cheap.

(As it happens I have tentatively started to look at a dedicated server again in order to fix monthly costs, but this will only be done if I have confidence that the server can cope with NSC peak usage times. It also won't be cheap.)

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Slow as feck this end, Other sites seem ok I'm on Firefox.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Skimlinks has been re-instated.

Skimlinks acknowledged there was an issue last week but it was resolved - we are literally the only site (amongst thousands) who reported an issue this week.

Those who are stuck on old IE versions and Firefox - if you experience some slowness, please clear your browser's cache, close it and restart it.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
27 seconds for The Big Board to load up on IE8.0.6001.18702CO (running on XP SP3 with a P4 3.2 processor and 1Gb of RAM). This compares to 2 seconds on Chrome 19.0.1084.58.

Welcome back Skimlinks.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
27 seconds for The Big Board to load up on IE8.0.6001.18702CO (running on XP SP3 with a P4 3.2 processor and 1Gb of RAM). This compares to 2 seconds on Chrome 19.0.1084.58.

Welcome back Skimlinks.

Have you done what I asked above?

It strikes me as curious that Skimlinks are aware they introduced a bug, fixed that bug and since then have only had 1 site report a possible problem - us, and that is with a very small handful of our thousands of users.

I'll never knowingly have anything on NSC that degrades performance for any users, but I need to be sure that something is an issue at NSC's end rather than with the user themselves.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Have you done what I asked above?

It strikes me as curious that Skimlinks are aware they introduced a bug, fixed that bug and since then have only had 1 site report a possible problem - us, and that is with a very small handful of our thousands of users.

I'll never knowingly have anything on NSC that degrades performance for any users, but I need to be sure that something is an issue at NSC's end rather than with the user themselves.

Everything deleted, refreshed, etc...

Bozza, my current occupation is a Software Test Analyst, so I'm kinda used to handling defects on web applications.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here