Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NSC slowing down

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
The overload of advertisments on this site now.

Recently, everytime I try to view pages on this site I have to wait an excruciatingly long time for all the google ads etc. to sort themselves out.
This is completely ruining my experience and I now find myself viewing less and less as it is so slow to load pages it's like dial up speed.
So unless I can find away around it, I will be a rare participant in future.
I will always support the Albion, but find these long delays for every single page beyond the limit, so toodle pip.:albion2:

Racek

Wing man to TFSO top boy.
Jan 3, 2010
Edinburgh
Recently, everytime I try to view pages on this site I have to wait an excruciatingly long time for all the google ads etc. to sort themselves out.
This is completely ruining my experience and I now find myself viewing less and less as it is so slow to load pages it's like dial up speed.
I will always support the Albion, but find these long delays for every single page beyond the limit, so toodle pip.:albion2:

Bit over the top?

D

Deleted member 22389

What browser are you using? May be download Google Chrome or Firefox. Never had a single problem in Firefox. It's to do with your browser if your using IE.

Chrome Browser
Mozilla Firefox Web Browser — Free Download — mozilla.org

ees complicated no?

Apr 3, 2011
Hove, United Kingdom

:wave:

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
disable java-script

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I use IE8 on my work machines. Have found NSC to be a right pain in the but recently!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
A logged in member still has relatively few adverts (a 'guest' has more) but none should slow down the site.

There was a reported issue last week with Skimlinks which impacted some users, notably those using IE8, and I turned it off and the impacted users reported that this improved things dramatically. I got in touch with Skimlinks who acknowledged the problem and said they'd fixed it. I then re-applied Skimlinks to the site.

Since then there have been a few isolated 'the site is going slowly' reports but nothing in any great volume. I'm happy to turn Skimlinks off again, for now, to see if it improves things for those who are experiencing slowness.

Please note, however, that with NSC costing anywhere up to £500 per month to host, a degree of advertising will remain, but I would never willingly accept a degradation of site performance just to include an advert.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Skimlinks is disabled again. I'd appreciate those who have had some slowness replying here as to whether they are still getting it or not.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I havent had problems in the last couple of days :)

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
How do you do this and will have to be reactivated on leaving the site?

Im using firefox and its tools>options>content

And no you would have to re-enable it when you need it again.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box

If its really that much of an issue... Firefox, AdBlockPlus and select one/two of main lists or customise your own.
Personally, I remove just about everything thats not essential (Ads, google/facebook/twitter trackers, etc - sorry Bozza!). Makes all my surfing fast and ad free!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here