Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NSC Paternity Classes

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Its tough isn't it - even on this thread there are varying opinions (eg. Arthur was in a routine from day 1 whereas some people say don't bother trying til later) but best thing is for you and your wife/partner to work out whats best for your family. Read as much as you want but most importantly discuss it between yourselves and try not to get angry even though you're tired and its 3am and you just want some sleep.... don't forget you're both tired and you both want sleep and you're both in it together....

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Dave the Gaffer said:
fair enough...just an observation on what happened to us that was all...

I bow to your superior knowledge on these things...it was a long time ago

My superior knowledge? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Maybe we're just lucky.... so far it's worked for us.... but as she is only eleven months old I may regret saying what I've said on here.

Sorry if I offended Dave.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
SULLY COULDNT SHOOT said:

Maybe we're just lucky.... so far it's worked for us.... but as she is only eleven months old I may regret saying what I've said on here.

no offence taken mate....as you say its all about what's best for you at the time.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
tedebear said:
Its tough isn't it - even on this thread there are varying opinions (eg. Arthur was in a routine from day 1 whereas some people say don't bother trying til later) but best thing is for you and your wife/partner to work out whats best for your family. Read as much as you want but most importantly discuss it between yourselves and try not to get angry even though you're tired and its 3am and you just want some sleep.... don't forget you're both tired and you both want sleep and you're both in it together....
we are going for the "routine" from Day 1 option... obviously the extent and success of the attempted routine should gradually increase and may well not amount to much in the first couple of weeks but I reckon its worth trying some of the commonsense stuff... as I understand it, one of the key planks of Gina Ford is giving a bottle as close as you can to 10.30pm every evening and then "waking the baby up" as close to 7.00am as you can every morning - obviously has to be flexible based on what else has happened inbetween but seems worth trying...

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
SULLY COULDNT SHOOT said:

Its funny isn't it because I've always been of the opinion that our bed is our bed, and Arthur sleeps in his bed....I've taught him the independance to sleep on his own, knowing that if he needs us in the night, I'm about 10 steps away and I'll come running, but I'll comfort him and he'll go back to sleep in his own bed....i started this from the beginning and we seem to have benefited from that from about 3 months onwards....

I always look at things from the future perspective, ie what would we as a couple like Arthur to be doing in 6 months, 9 months, a few years etc. and this has always tempered my decisions, if he came into our bed, at some stage I would have had to teach him that he can't do that anymore so I never started it. Having said that I have spoken to people it works for so its all about personal/family choice really....

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Moshe Gariani said:
we are going for the "routine" from Day 1 option... obviously the extent and success of the attempted routine should gradually increase and may well not amount to much in the first couple of weeks but I reckon its worth trying some of the commonsense stuff... as I understand it, one of the key planks of Gina Ford is giving a bottle as close as you can to 10.30pm every evening and then "waking the baby up" as close to 7.00am as you can every morning - obviously has to be flexible based on what else has happened inbetween but seems worth trying...

We were lucky - Arthur was quite happy to feed 3 hourly from the start so we did 7:30pm bath, bottle and bed, then he fed 10:30pm, 1:30am, 4:30am and then 7:30am out of bed and bottle downstairs and on with the day....three naps in the beginning in the day, then 2 and now we're down to one big one at 1pm....

I'd feed him at 10:30pm very quietly with the lights down in his room (called a dream feed sometimes) and then pat him back to sleep and he quickly started sleeping through the 1:30am and 4:30am feeds, we got stuck on waking at about 5:30am for a few weeks, but I consistently patted him back to sleep and made sure he learned that 5:30am wasn't a time for regular people to get back up and then one morning when he was about 3 months old (I think) i woke up in a panic at about 7:15am as he hadn't woken for a feed...I woke up Zef and we both raced in to check he was ok and we had a right giggle when we realized he'd done it.... We had a few set backs but eventually he went 7:30pm til 7:15am...

UNTIL THE BLOODY TEETH CAME ALONG :lol:

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
As father of three, I say;-
Make Infracol part of your routine just before every meal, frees trapped wind hence no crying at night; minimal loss of sleep, it can be bought at any chemist/supermarket.
Nelsons teething powders, all natural ingredients and numbs pain, also water filled teething rings kept in the fridge helped.
Ah yes.........those were the days:cute:

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
OzMike said:
As father of three, I say;-
Make Infracol part of your routine just before every meal, frees trapped wind hence no crying at night; minimal loss of sleep, it can be bought at any chemist/supermarket.
Nelsons teething powders, all natural ingredients and numbs pain, also water filled teething rings kept in the fridge helped.
Ah yes.........those were the days:cute:

Infacol is indeed good stuff...and I've heard those teething powders are wonderful but Arthur refuses point blank - absolutely no way Jose he will let us near him with those....OUr problem with teething isn't the teeth themselves, its the fact that it obviously knocks his immune system around and he'll get a runny nose or head cold etc. and then of course trying to drink/eat with a blocked nose is near impossible for the poor little dude....mind you he still seems to sleep through it all night - so thats a result!! :clap:

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
tedebear said:
Infacol is indeed good stuff...and I've heard those teething powders are wonderful but Arthur refuses point blank - absolutely no way Jose he will let us near him with those....OUr problem with teething isn't the teeth themselves, its the fact that it obviously knocks his immune system around and he'll get a runny nose or head cold etc. and then of course trying to drink/eat with a blocked nose is near impossible for the poor little dude....mind you he still seems to sleep through it all night - so thats a result!! :clap:

Had similar problem with my youngest, rubbed Vic into the chest area of her romper suits and kept a vaporising candle burning in downstairs room all day.
Result......nose unblocks and everyone else feels remarkably healthy:lolol:

You will be forever tired!

And smack em fast and hard and then again until they stop crying.

Don't let this non smacking culture ruin your life nor your kids.

Nelson teething powder is top notch.

If you're into the environment use mortex nappies - 100% biodegradable or better still, cotton nappies. These are also better for the little ones.

Try not to buy too much clothing b4 they are born, your friends and relatives will do that.

But muslim squares and loads of them, great for everything.

Love your kids and they will love you!

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
OzMike said:
Had similar problem with my youngest, rubbed Vic into the chest area of her romper suits and kept a vaporising candle burning in downstairs room all day.
Result......nose unblocks and everyone else feels remarkably healthy:lolol:

Yeah - we use karvol oils and vaporiser - so much so that I'm sure everyone thinks its my perfume of choice when I'm out and about!! :lol:

Ozymandias

Jan 31, 2007
NEVER, NEVER, NEVER listen to other parents with babies of the same age. They will invariably tell yout that Baby sleeps all night, that they never play up, that they can say mama and dada at four months. These people f**king lie. One couple in our NCT group said the above, we on the other had a nightmare with our first due to reflex which wasn't diagnosed until 6 months, so everyone knew we were having problems. It now transpires (7 years later) that there first was as bad as ours but they didn't want to admit it. So never compare, you know that you'll have sleepless nights, that baby won't sleep when you want them to. That they'll have problems feding etc. Enjoy it why you can:lolol: becuase they grow so fast.

Routine was good ... in our case and I believe that it makes for an easier life as they get older, but that's in our case

Watch out for the breast feeding fascists, they made my wife's life hell because she just couldn't produce the milk, the fact that she had Post natal depression for the second didn't seem to register with the 'breast is best brigade' .... tossers. If your wife can then brilliant, if she can't, then she can't, she is not useless. evil or a bad mother, she will need lots of encouragement, make sure you give it to her.

Get LOTS and LOTS of bibs/towels 'cause you'll need them for the projectile vomiting which is quite frankly outstanding .. should be an olympic sport :lolol:

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
I can reveal that I too am an expectant father :clap2: :clap2:

Had the 12 week scan yesterday. This thread looks invaluable...

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Another thing - I think Dave mentioned it above and some other people did too but, use your family and friends as much as possible, if someone offers to help or babysit or so something for you - take them up on it....I have no family here and I miss them dearly....even just to go to get some groceries on my own for 30mins or so is impossible....

My Mum hates the fact that I'm a zillion miles away - and frankly I do to....

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
tedebear said:

My Mum hates the fact that I'm a zillion miles away - and frankly I do to....

You mum lives on Vulcan?

Blimey

:p :p :p :p

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here