Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nottinghamshire v Sussex, Trent Bridge, LVCC Div ONE

202-4 to 243 all out :US:

Fall of wickets1-74 (Yardy, 24.5 ov), 2-104 (Gatting, 36.3 ov), 3-156 (Goodwin, 48.1 ov), 4-161 (Hamilton-Brown, 49.1 ov), 5-202 (Hodd, 60.5 ov), 6-208 (Martin-Jenkins, 62.6 ov), 7-218 (Nash, 65.6 ov), 8-218 (Smith, 66.1 ov), 9-243 (Collymore, 74.3 ov), 10-243 (Chawla, 75.1 ov)

Sussex go down
4:58pm Thursday 24th September 2009

Comments (0) Have your say »

By Bruce Talbot »

Sussex County Cricket Club have been relegated to the second division of the County Championship.

They were bowled out for 243 by Nottinghamshire on the second day of their final game at Trent Bridge today and will definitely finish in the bottom two, even if they go on and win the game.

Another horror batting collapse saw them lose six wickets for 41 runs in 25 overs. Chris Nash scored a superb 130 - his fourth hundred of the season - but the next highest score was skipper Mike Yardy's 21.

Sussex have had the longest continued membership of the top flight since they were promoted in 2001 and they won three titles in 2003, 2006 and 2007.

But they will now have to regroup and rebuild in the second division and relegation has cast a huge shadow on their success in one-day cricket this season.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It's reassuring that we're the longest-surviving member of Div 1 but it's only 8 years since we were promoted.

Also, the fact we've been such a good one-day outfit this year has meant we've taken our eye off the ball in the Championship. No one typifies this better than Dwayne Smith, who's averaged less than 14 with the bat in the League but has been a one-day legend.

I don't know what's happening with Chawla next year, but if he's back we're in great shape, particularly as he doesn't figure for the Indian test team.

Goodwin's 1 ton and 2 50s in 26 innings haven't helped - that's the same output as Hodd, and the old pair of Kirtley and Lewry have looked their age.

However, we can't be too critical. The side should be strong enough to come straight back up next season as it is, although hopefully Robinson will be able to pick up one or two decent 4-day players along the way, like an experienced fast bowler and a decent middle order batsman.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
a dissapointing near end to the season, lifting the Pro40 will lift the gloom a bit.
I'm old enough to remember a time when Middlesex won every Championship and lots of the one dayers for many a year. Gloucestershire had a surge a few years back when they were ultra competative in all comps.... then there was the time when Surrey swept all before them especially with their batting lineup which was awsome..

All the counties have their time in the sun and I'm sure ours is not quite over yet. In times past several of the clubs now in Div 2 would be top 5 in a 17 county Championship table. I'd rather have the players we have than those of Surrey,Middlesex and Essex now.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I think we need to replace Kirtley and Lewry now, a genuine aggressive fast bowler would be just the ticket if such a bowler exists in this country.

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
In U2 styly......

"It's a beautiful day............."

Sheebo, Simmo & Scanny - "Your boys took a hell of a beating!!"

:wave:

Yeah, yeah, the most successful side of the 21st Century are going to have spend a season in division 2 but worry not, we will be back.

Remind me again, who have Kent got in the 20 20 Champions League?

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
In U2 styly......

When was the f***ing last time you won a County Championship? Nobody gives a shit about you winning the Division Two title, you will be straight back down anyway next season....

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Prior better get a f***ing central contract next season so we can get some more quality batting in.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
In U2 styly......

County Champions 3 times recently

C & G Trphy Winners

Pro 40 Div 1 Winners (maybe twice)

Twenty20 WINNERS

Anything else?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
When was the f***ing last time you won a County Championship? Nobody gives a shit about you winning the Division Two title, you will be straight back down anyway next season....

Now you've gone and upset my maev too... :angry:

Marc

Jul 6, 2003

C & G Trphy Winners

Twenty20 WINNERS

Anything else?

more Sussex players in the England Squad than Kent! (I think anyway!!)

brighton_haha

Feb 8, 2008

:tosser:

Harping on about past glories is a pretty piss poor effort pal. Stand up to the fact you were not good enough, just like Kent were not good enough last season.

I've got nothing against Sussex, I've stuck up for your mob in previous posts but down you are, live with it and move on.

BHA & SCCC both in the shit.

Nice.

brighton_haha

Feb 8, 2008

C & G Trphy Winners

Twenty20 WINNERS

Anything else?

Relegated 24th September 2009.

:bigwave:

8ace