Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Not at all nice in the South Stand

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Two friends of mine attended the Amex for the first time yesterday. One of them was the guy who flew in from Tripoli Yesterday. They had seats right on the tarpaulin separating the home and away fans, and had a great view of the first goal.

So, what didn't they like, well, first they had only a choice of chicken pie, which they binned as it was tasteless. They also didn't like the Wednesday fans foul mouthed treatment of stewards, and horrible anti gay commentary.

But far worse than that, they heard Brighton fans making monkey noises towards Wednesdays black players when they got the ball. This came from a couple of rows behind them so couldn't see the people When they were actually doing it. It was their first visit to the Amex (Kims first ever football match) so didn't really know how or what they could do about this, and no-one else did anything about it either.

They didn't know, they were first timers, but I'd urge anyone who ever hears monkey noises at the Amex to report it to stewards, don't feel intimidated, point them out.

tgretton87

Shoreham Beach Seagull#2
Jul 30, 2011
Really...Monkey noises? Thats the sort of noises that stewards are listening out for at football games these days. If true then get em out.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Monkey noises? you're definite? I'd be very surprised if anyone could get away with that at any stadium these days.

Two friends of mine attended the Amex for the first time yesterday. One of them was the guy who flew in from Tripoli Yesterday. They had seats right on the tarpaulin separating the home and away fans, and had a great view of the first goal.

So, what didn't they like, well, first they had only a choice of chicken pie, which they binned as it was tasteless. They also didn't like the Wednesday fans foul mouthed treatment of stewards, and horrible anti gay commentary.

But far worse than that, they heard Brighton fans making monkey noises towards Wednesdays black players when they got the ball. This came from a couple of rows behind them so couldn't see the people When they were actually doing it. It was their first visit to the Amex (Kims first ever football match) so didn't really know how or what they could do about this, and no-one else did anything about it either.

They didn't know, they were first timers, but I'd urge anyone who ever hears monkey noises at the Amex to report it to stewards, don't feel intimidated, point them out.

???are you sure?what about nazi salutes and sieg gull chants.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I questioned that too, and they're 100% certain what they heard.

Yet all other fans and any stewards completely ignored it? If so, I'd respectfully suggest they weren't monkey noises.

I suggest they, or you on their behalf, contact the club and let them know roughly when this took place and what seats your friends had in case there is CCTV imagery that may help at all.

Shuggie

Sep 19, 2003
East Sussex coast
Hoooof?

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003

Firstly, if such noises were chanted then that's totally unacceptable.

But if they are upset about chicken pies then football maybe isn't what they came for? I hear Jamie oliver has a restaurant in town?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
They also didn't like the Wednesday fans foul mouthed treatment of stewards, and horrible anti gay commentary.

This for me is a concern - with the South being match-by-match, there is a very real chance these tickets being taken by new/infrequent fans. For many it could be their first taste of live football and the Albion - perhaps parents taking their children along for the first time.

Unfortunately, particularly with certain visiting fans, a tirade of homophobic bile is almost inevitable and could literally put people off for life. Stewarding and/or policing in this area has to be pretty robust, I think. Visiting fans should be in no doubt about what is not acceptable.

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
Hard to believe, in fact I very much doubt it to be honest. They should have taken footage with their phones for us all to make our judgements on. I don't doubt that they're '100% sure' in what they've heard, doesn't make it fact though.

I'm sure if this was happening, there would be more threads on this board about it too.

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
Maybe a couple of idiots from the past making Monkey noises or possibly some innocent fans going 'hoof, hoof' when they were lumping it?

Remember the report on our raciest fans chanting 'Seig Heil' when in fact it was 'Seagulls'?

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
07880 196442 is the text line to report anti-social behaviour (anonymously if you so wish) at the Amex.

During games this goes straight to the Control Room where action can be taken if deemed necessary.

Info from last nights club programme.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
Firstly, if such noises were chanted then that's totally unacceptable.

But if they are upset about chicken pies then football maybe isn't what they came for? I hear Jamie oliver has a restaurant in town?

100% FFS its a pie at footy not master chef! Post of the day for me.

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
This for me is a concern - with the South being match-by-match, there is a very real chance these tickets being taken by new/infrequent fans. For many it could be their first taste of live football and the Albion - perhaps parents taking their children along for the first time.

Unfortunately, particularly with certain visiting fans, a tirade of homophobic bile is almost inevitable and could literally put people off for life. Stewarding and/or policing in this area has to be pretty robust, I think. Visiting fans should be in no doubt about what is not acceptable.

Every club has the same issues it is not solely us, with exception to homophobic chanting. You almost want another north stand crowd down that end, I'd suggest next season they offer the first couple of blocks to season ticket holders and leave the other side of the South to 1st timers / match by match. Don't want to get too hung up on 2 possible idiots out of 26k.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here