Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Not a strong Tennis contingent on this forum then?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Are you Martina Navratilova?

No. Although, fun fact, I am left handed. I play right handed, however. No, really. ???

So, Djokovic vs Ferrer. I'm contemplating having a little interest on Ferrer, Djokovic was made to work very hard by a very ordinary player last match and Ferrer is the sort of dogged and determined opponent you don't want when you're not feeling 100%. But that said, Djokovic is a little bit good.

Kazenga <3

Test 805843
Feb 28, 2010
Team c/r HQ
What's a "pretty high level" in your opinion?

I was top 8 in the county a couple of years back at u16 level but there was a massive jump from my standard to the next 4 or 5 top players in the county who were competing in national events. It is nigh on impossible to compete with those guys unless you are incredibly talented or incredibly wealthy, mainly the latter sadly. I would call that a 'pretty high level' in relation to the average guy who goes out to play tennis casually, however I am sure there are many on here who play to a much higher standard than I do and would label me as 'shite' :lolol:

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
I was top 8 in the county a couple of years back at u16 level but there was a massive jump from my standard to the next 4 or 5 top players in the county who were competing in national events. It is nigh on impossible to compete with those guys unless you are incredibly talented or incredibly wealthy, mainly the latter sadly. I would call that a 'pretty high level' in relation to the average guy who goes out to play tennis casually, however I am sure there are many on here who play to a much higher standard than I do and would label me as 'shite' :lolol:

do you play at falmer esporta?

wunt be druv

Drat! and double drat!
Jun 17, 2011
In my own strange world
Used to like it Years ago when we had the likes of Jimmy Connors,John McEnroe Ilie Nastase etc..they were real characters, guaranteed to start getting tiffy if things weren't going their way and unlike today,it could be any one of 6 or 7 players who could win a Grand Slam event,not just the usual choice of 2.The only plus side is the Womens players of late are much better looking.

daib0

Nov 20, 2011
Spain - England
Used to like it Years ago when we had the likes of Jimmy Connors,John McEnroe Ilie Nastase etc..they were real characters, guaranteed to start getting tiffy if things weren't going their way and unlike today,it could be any one of 6 or 7 players who could win a Grand Slam event,not just the usual choice of 2.The only plus side is the Womens players of late are much better looking.
couldn't agree more!

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
where did you play? I moved to Haywards Heath for work but still struggling to find anywhere decent to play in the Winter in the area that isn't Falmer. Can't even find anywhere in bloody London that doesn't cost the earth!

Weald (Hassocks) is a big club or Lindfield (unless of course you have to play INSIDE in the winter #carpettenniswimp)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Elitist sport for the middle classes. .

Yeah, those Williams sisters, born with a silver spoon in their mouths. Really elitist, and don't get me started on that right toff Andy Murray.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Oh I see, so you don't play PROPER tennis then, all you need on carpet is a big serve FACT
If you play on the carpet courts at David lloyd in Worthing you'll find that a big serve is as much use as a wooden racquet. They're really slow. As someone who grew up in tennis at West Worthing playing on GRASS then I would consider THAT to be proper tennis. Not playing on a surface like the LOUNGE bar of a pub

Kazenga <3

Test 805843
Feb 28, 2010
Team c/r HQ
where did you play? I moved to Haywards Heath for work but still struggling to find anywhere decent to play in the Winter in the area that isn't Falmer. Can't even find anywhere in bloody London that doesn't cost the earth!

I've always played at Weald as mentioned above. I Just don't do competitive tournaments anymore. Would highly recommend the club if you're thinking of getting into/ back into tennis.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
I've always played at Weald as mentioned above. I Just don't do competitive tournaments anymore. Would highly recommend the club if you're thinking of getting into/ back into tennis.
I was a member at the Weald for a few years until kids and other commitments just took all of my spare time away. Left there about 13/14 years ago. Do they still run the 'Pimms Tournament' in the summer?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Interestingly, I'm left handed and I play right handed

I play pool and snooker with my left, it doesn't make any logical sense. I can't throw left handed though, so darts is a right handed sport for me too. Us lefties are crazy.

As for the tennis today, Federer had a non-Federer like collapse in the second but always looked the better player. The doubles was a shambles, the Indo-Pak express were embarrasing to say the least, having thrown in the towel before waking up this morning (presumably). Poor performance.

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011
THe Nads Tsonga match is a good'un here. going to a decider

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here