Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Not a strong Tennis contingent on this forum then?

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Tennis is for women and poofs. There is simply nothing else to be said.

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
i love tennis but prefer the Slams and some masters events to this end of year tournement. The players of shattered due to the ridiculous calander and it seems more of a money spinner..as someone said it could be £50 for an hour of singles when you can pay £20 to soak up the atmosphere of wimbledon all day!

i also dont start tennis threads anymore as it always becomes an Andy Murray binfest

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Tennis generally gets either ignored or slated here because it's the bastion of Daily Mail reading house wives and the UK’s main hope is an injury prone Scottish nationalist with zero personality.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I'm going to the o2 tomorrow for my first ever experience of 'live' tennis (afternoon session, Federer vs. Fish).

Hopefully someone will be able to instruct me as to the points at which I am required to shout "come on Tim" (a traditional tennis chant, as I understand it).

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Can't be bothered to watch one millionaire hitting balls over a net to another millionaire..........

or is thatt Premier league football??

Last edited:

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Modern tennis has no charismatic characters - its boring to watch and when one or two people or a particular team dominate a sport then people lose interest in it. Scottish football is proof of this and so is tennis.

Sent from my iPhone using a goat

I don't agree with this, modern tennis is one sport where they have consciously tried to improve the aspects of the action from the point of view of spectators by slowing down the flight of the ball. That became necessary as racquet technology meant the first serve was becoming impossible to return.

Back in the days of "Pistol Pete" it was getting very boring to watch, the server was becoming too powerful for the receiver, but now even on grass the game has become much more a battle of rallies.

I think RogerFederer must now challenge Rod Laver (who I saw play) as the greatest ever. And seemingly a nice bloke off court too, always interviews well. So different from Connors/Nastase and their ilk years ago, also Lendl (whinger).

darters74

Jun 9, 2011
All over the place
Not in agreement. Tennis is a game of hitting a yellow ball between two players over a net and that's pretty much it. It's only made more exciting by the fact you have to win by two clear points!

Sent from my iPhone using a goat

This. I wouldn't go to Wimbledon, if you paid for my train ticket, entrance ticket, champagne and strawberries. Dullest sport EVER!

darters74

Jun 9, 2011
All over the place
i love tennis but prefer the Slams and some masters events to this end of year tournement. The players of shattered due to the ridiculous calander and it seems more of a money spinner..as someone said it could be £50 for an hour of singles when you can pay £20 to soak up the atmosphere of wimbledon all day!

i also dont start tennis threads anymore as it always becomes an Andy Murray binfest

Good choice, I f***ing detest that prick!

The wife goes into the public ballot for tickets every year and has managed to get tickets every year for 8 years including the Federer v Nadal final , she adores the sport.

Personally can't stand the game but she hates football.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I'm going to the o2 tomorrow for my first ever experience of 'live' tennis (afternoon session, Federer vs. Fish).

Hopefully someone will be able to instruct me as to the points at which I am required to shout "come on Tim" (a traditional tennis chant, as I understand it).

Someone will shout it, that is almost certain. :thumbsup:

daib0

Nov 20, 2011
Spain - England
I think some may say tennis has become boring because it's both much more powerful and more tactical all the time. McEnroe had problems against Lendl for his sheer power, and then along came Becker and the new gang. Many today are ferocious, but there still is a place for pure art in tennis. Of the big '4' - Djoko, Rafa, Roger and Andy - I prefer Rafa and Roger; despite having big physiques they do try to play entertaining stuff, sometimes with exquisite touches. Murray, although Scottish, is too much concentrated in 'only' winning if you see what I mean, and I've never taken to Djoko I'm afraid ...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here