Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Not a strong Tennis contingent on this forum then?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Roger Federer defeats Rafael Nadal 6-3 6-0 and it isn't mentioned, or not that I can see. Tennis is becoming my favourite sport, I was at the O2 tonight and witnessed what can only be described as a masterclass by the best in history. Alright, Nadal was quite clearly not all there but Federer was unrelenting and perfect in almost every game. What a performance.

Surely he will win the tournament now. Anyone else been following it? I've made a suprising amount of money through betting in play so far, nothing major but I'm currently standing at just over double my stakes.

daib0

Nov 20, 2011
Spain - England
You have got to take your hat off to Federer by how his super-human drive and determination seems to keep him on the real summit of the tennis tree when most other players with his record and age would have 'taken it easy'. What has he got to prove? Nothing, but he does it because he wants to keep playing the best he possibly can. Admirable!
I was a super fan of McEnroe in his time, but his time seemed about only a third of Roger's!

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Modern tennis has no charismatic characters - its boring to watch and when one or two people or a particular team dominate a sport then people lose interest in it. Scottish football is proof of this and so is tennis.

Sent from my iPhone using a goat

D

Deleted member 18477

i love the tennis but i'm not too interested in this end of season tournament or the little tournaments really (not that the players would call them that).

i like the big tournaments, the big macs of tennis, the 5 setters, the marathon matches! the grand slams fill 8 weeks of the year. thats enough for me to get my tennis fix.

with golf, F1, cricket, england rugby matches, NFL, boxing and FOOTBALL already on my agenda i would struggle to fit anymore tennis in anyway lol!

D

Deleted member 18477

Modern tennis has no charismatic characters - its boring to watch and when one or two people or a particular team dominate a sport then people lose interest in it. Scottish football is proof of this and so is tennis.

if tennis is predictable and boring then most sports are predictable and boring...

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
TBH I prefer playing to watching, but I did enjoy Fed being squashed by Davydenko two years ago at the o2. I won't go their again though, far too expensive for a short doubles match and short singles match, complete rip off.

D

Deleted member 18477

You have got to take your hat off to Federer by how his super-human drive and determination seems to keep him on the real summit of the tennis tree when most other players with his record and age would have 'taken it easy'. What has he got to prove? Nothing, but he does it because he wants to keep playing the best he possibly can. Admirable!
I was a super fan of McEnroe in his time, but his time seemed about only a third of Roger's!

a lot of people are saying he won most of his grand slams during an 'easy' period. maybe thats playing on his mind as currently its anything but easy! i for one don't think he won them when it was easy as such but he does have stronger competition now for sure. there are some top players out there and then theres nadal and djokovic and Fed is still competing and winning!! i havent been his biggest fan over the years but hes a master of the game and when he feels its time, he can retire a legend of the sport!

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
if tennis is predictable and boring then most sports are predictable and boring...

Not in agreement. Tennis is a game of hitting a yellow ball between two players over a net and that's pretty much it. It's only made more exciting by the fact you have to win by two clear points!

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Not in agreement. Tennis is a game of hitting a yellow ball between two players over a net and that's pretty much it. It's only made more exciting by the fact you have to win by two clear points!

There are also not many sports that you can be effectively 11-0 down, and come back to win 13-11 (in a three set match)

D

Deleted member 18477

football is only a game of trying to kick a ball in a goal.
golf is only trying to hit a ball in a hole.
boxing is only punching someone.
cricket is only hitting a ball or bowling a ball.
rugby is only running with a ball over a line and putting it down.

christ, thank god we don't all have your enthusiasm!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I always get the impression that tennis is diluted by TV.
The speed, spin and sheer aggression just doesn't come across.

But as dig says with everything else going on, tennis is a long long way down the pecking order.

The Fifth Column

Lazy mug
Nov 30, 2010
Hangleton
Elitist sport for the middle classes. Personally I've always preferred team sports such as football & cricket where the skill lies not just in the individual's ability but also their ability to work within a team, much more impressive and enjoyable to watch in my opinion than Timothy and roger smashing a ball incessantly over a net whilst being watched by felicity and Pamela wetting their knickers when they change their tops.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Went on Sunday and saw Federer play Tsonga. I don't agree that this is an end of season nothing tournament. If so, how come th top 8 always show up if they possibly can? I saw the Nadal/Fish game on TV on Sunday evening and you could see that Nadal was not a well man. I'm not surprised that Federer stuffed him as he played some very tidy stuff against Tsonga, especially in the first set.

All I can say to posters like Fifth Column is that you have obviously not seen who plays tennis in countries other than the UK. But then with a chip that size on your shoulder you probably can't get out much

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Elitist sport for the middle classes. Personally I've always preferred team sports such as football & cricket where the skill lies not just in the individual's ability but also their ability to work within a team, much more impressive and enjoyable to watch in my opinion than Timothy and roger smashing a ball incessantly over a net whilst being watched by felicity and Pamela wetting their knickers when they change their tops.

So how many people constitute a team then? Doubles tennis is a TEAM of two's ability not just one, you quote cricket - a batting side is a team of two whilst batting.

D

Deleted member 18477

Went on Sunday and saw Federer play Tsonga. I don't agree that this is an end of season nothing tournament. If so, how come th top 8 always show up if they possibly can? I saw the Nadal/Fish game on TV on Sunday evening and you could see that Nadal was not a well man. I'm not surprised that Federer stuffed him as he played some very tidy stuff against Tsonga, especially in the first set.

All I can say to posters like Fifth Column is that you have obviously not seen who plays tennis in countries other than the UK. But then with a chip that size on your shoulder you probably can't get out much

The players wont see it as an end of season nothing tournament. but some tennis fans do. maybe not the hardcore tennis fans but your average joe's (the ones who only really care about grand slams) do.

if they don't show up then they lose ranking points and don't get paid i'd imagine? (any hardcore tennis fan out there to clarify that??)

i like the idea of the tournament BUT the tennis season is still too long and the end of season tournament is usually a bit flat compared to the grand slams. thats the reason i don't watch this particular tournament. i also love the 5 set matches which this doesnt have.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
TBH I prefer playing to watching, but I did enjoy Fed being squashed by Davydenko two years ago at the o2. I won't go their again though, far too expensive for a short doubles match and short singles match, complete rip off.

Completely disagree with that. I thought it was good value, I was sat in the Gods last night, and maybe my opinion is blurred a little bit by the fact that I got to see Nadal vs Federer, but I thought it was very good. The doubles match was a bit boring, as doubles tends to be, but even though the singles only lasted an hour, I doubt anyone went home disappointed. Apart from the people who weren't really there for the tennis, like the chap next to me who kept asking the most basic questions about everything.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Completely disagree with that. I thought it was good value, I was sat in the Gods last night, and maybe my opinion is blurred a little bit by the fact that I got to see Nadal vs Federer, but I thought it was very good. The doubles match was a bit boring, as doubles tends to be, but even though the singles only lasted an hour, I doubt anyone went home disappointed. Apart from the people who weren't really there for the tennis, like the chap next to me who kept asking the most basic questions about everything.

When I went two years ago it cost three of us over £200 to see maybe three hours tennis, compared to Wimbledon, for example, that is poor value. This was on the lower level admittedly but we felt going up to the top level would take you too far away from the action.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here