Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Norwich to come back for Bennett

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I would be surprised if Norwich want a player wholly unproven above League One for their first season back in the Premier League.
It's not the fact that they might want him that surprises me, but I would be surprised if they made an offer substantial enough to make that happen. Afterall, they paid £300k for Crofts whereas they would have to bid at least seven times that to get Bennett.

However, it is possible. And if Norwich make that sort of offer and Bennett leaves, then maybe we can infer that a gentleman's agreement was in place between our club and the player shortly after the January shenanigans.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
There is one small thing that Norwich will have to be aware of, the size of the fee. Norwich are now a Premier League club and we are now a Championship club. Accordingly Bennett's value will have increased given that whilst they may have the money his current club's improved status will automatically require his revaluation, he's now worth considerably more than what he was in January.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
It's not the fact that they might want him that surprises me, but I would be surprised if they made an offer substantial enough to make that happen. Afterall, they paid £300k for Crofts whereas they would have to bid at least seven times that to get Bennett.

However, it is possible. And if Norwich make that sort of offer and Bennett leaves, then maybe we can infer that a gentleman's agreement was in place between our club and the player shortly after the January shenanigans.

Valid point - even for a club that now will have some money to spend, a couple of million on a League One winger is a lot, even if they like him. Although I suppose if they're really, really keen on him they will pay it.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I would have thought they are now in the market for the best of the Championship, looking to make a step up, rather than a player who has no experience above League One. They have the money, and the Premiership status to attract a player with experience at a higher level than Benno.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
I fully expect Bennett to leave for Norwich in the summer. I am sure Bloom will get the right price though. Reckon the fee will be doubled from what they offered in January

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I still think it's a gamble for a Premiership side to take on a third tier player, albeit a good one. However it's their money, and in some ways it's good to see that a team wants to 'Buy British' as opposed to bringing in yet another competent but anonymous foreign player. (The 'untried third tier player' bit will work both ways as Norwich will use that to try and keep the fee down). However if they DO want him then Bennett would be mad not to go, because, as Walt Jabsco very helpfully pointed out, Premier league players, even squad players, get paid an awful lot more than third/second tier ones.

In some ways it's a bit like Paul Brooker again, anyone remember that? He was a decent third tier player who went to Premiership Leicester - where he sank without trace. But it's a short career which is only ever one bad tackle away from a premature end and so no one really blamed him for making the move and getting a substantial pay rise.

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
Norwich are going to try and sign him.

Palace ARE looking at Murray. Whether he signs for them or not does not mean they are not trying to get him.

:lolol:

No, The Palace manager has already said NO to bringing Murray there so cut the bullshit.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
In some ways it's a bit like Paul Brooker again, anyone remember that? He was a decent third tier player who went to Premiership Leicester

He had just had a season in the Championship though, and I think he was out of contract too.

I did see him play one of his very few games for Leicester in the Prem at Wasteland against Citeh, and he did seem off the pace.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
As far as I'm aware WJ's track record on transfers is as good and as bad as everybody else's and being our resident journo doesn't make for any more accuracy than the Daily Star. In this case a revised bid by Norwich is as predictable as our going back for Will Hoskins. which means that either may happen and either may not. Hoskins' price will have fallen following relegation. Benno's price will have gone up. £2m plus Cody McDonald anyone?

Last edited:

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
throw enough rumours around and one of them might stick I suppose

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
I hope he stays.
I hope that if he goes, we get a good fee for him and not a pittance like we did with Andrew Crofts.
We need to treat up and coming players fairly. If they think we are likely to do the right thing fro them if they get a good offer to progress, then they are far more likely to join us, and be happy whilst they are with us.
We may have some money, but not enough to stop us being a "selling club" if the right offer comes along. Financially, it is a good way for the Club to progress, if we find, develop and ultimately sell players for a good profit.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
McDonald is a young striker out on loan from a (now) premier league side. They rate him enough to have put him on a long term deal and he is progressing at about the rate you would expect from a good young prospect (which shows how exceptional Barnes has been this year). McDonald has been up there all season in the scoring charts with Clayton Donaldson and Adam Le Fondre who many rate despite the league they play in.

Okay so none of them are Wayne Rooney (or Michael Owen) but I guess I'm just a pessimist......

nb - £300K for Crofty who was a free transfer twelve months before was excellent business!

Last edited:

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
£300k for Crofty was a steal, although we made a tidy profit. If he was on the market now, Norwich would be asking for around at least a £1,000,000

If they come back for Bennett, then £2million must be the starting point plus a hefty sell on clause, after all he has 3 yrs still to run on his contract.

If Bennett can resist the money then he could land a much better club in the Premiership if he progresses next season. In my opinion, he needs to get more consistent in his form, he has a tendency to go missing for a game here and there. But Tony and Gus will know what they are doing and we shall sit back and watch the masters at work!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here