Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Non Season Ticket Holders Unite - Ticket Plans For Next Season

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Not only is this "issue" trivial in comparison with getting a viable and approval travel scheme is place (after 4 years of finger twiddling and waffle), without the latter it's probably irrelevant.
"Desperate" non-STHs! There's a min 5% available (as at Withdean) for individual sale - I just don't see any real evidence for there being a real problem here.
All the club have done here is answer the OP's questions when, it appears to me, he wanted the answer to another that wasn't asked. There is a response from Insider to HKFF about a proposed Ticket Exchange scheme being under consideration that in no way contradicts what the Ticket Office has advised the OP is the situation as of today.

Look, there are clearly other important issues the club are dealing with. You can call it trivial in comparison to getting a viable approved travel scheme, you can call it trivial in comparison to getting a safety certificate, you can call it trivial in comparison to NATO's bombing of Tripoli. But the fact remains that this IS going to be an important issue to those fans who were unable to commit to a season ticket, but who want the chance of attending "sold out" games, of which next season most will be. And its also a factor to STH's who are being told they cannot sell on their ticket for games they can't attend without actually handing over their season ticket smartcard to the buyer (ESPECIALLY if there is cash on it).

If the reply the OP got from the club is indeed the clubs official policy (and why would they reply otherwise ?), then it needs changing. Sharpish.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Go and study accountancy and you might just find out what overheads, profit, sales and turnover actually mean.

There is no evidence ( and I challenge you to come up with some ) that the club will see increased profit based on increased sales from running a ticket exchange scheme.

When you've found that evidence, then suggest to the club that you can run it for them..........

I'll look forward to reading about your insolvency in the papers.

The point is, if they have an efficient ticket exchange system in place which results in someone attending the game rather than the seat being left empty, then the club will have avoided losing out on the catering (or whatever) revenue had the seat remained empty.

You don't need to study bloody accountancy to work that out.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Go and study accountancy and you might just find out what overheads, profit, sales and turnover actually mean.

There is no evidence ( and I challenge you to come up with some ) that the club will see increased profit based on increased sales from running a ticket exchange scheme.

When you've found that evidence, then suggest to the club that you can run it for them..........

I won't resort to petty insults, just a few simple questions.

What evidence do you have to support your notion that having extra people in the stadium will not generate any extra revenue from sales of programmes, merchandise and food & drink?

And with some empty seats in the stadium, which the club will not know about until kick off time arrives, will the club save any money on staffing for retail outlets?

And if the club and their retail partners have their pricing strategy correct, won't increased revenue = increased profit?

Last edited:

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Look, there are clearly other important issues the club are dealing with. You can call it trivial in comparison to getting a viable approved travel scheme, you can call it trivial in comparison to getting a safety certificate, you can call it trivial in comparison to NATO's bombing of Tripoli. But the fact remains that this IS going to be an important issue to those fans who were unable to commit to a season ticket, but who want the chance of attending "sold out" games, of which next season most will be. And its also a factor to STH's who are being told they cannot sell on their ticket for games they can't attend without actually handing over their season ticket smartcard to the buyer (ESPECIALLY if there is cash on it).

If the reply the OP got from the club is indeed the clubs official policy (and why would they reply otherwise ?), then it needs changing. Sharpish.

I am just not convinced that thousands or even hundreds of fans are going to be affected by this. I sense another case of an NSC frenzy feeding itself here. I would imagine the club either have a plan in already (as you have shown the solutions are already out there) but will spend the season trying to figure out what demand their would be for providing this service. Whatever system is eventually employed will not come FREE, so they'll have to do a cost benefit analysis to see if it's worth it or not.

As for this season, the club have already got the cash so they are happy with that and concentrate on other aspects of the operation. I still believe that most people will find a friend or family member to offer their seat too if they cannot get to a game whilst the existing situation persists. Everyone has after all had plenty of time to plan their strategies for next season.

Having said that I fully expect us to have a system in place sooner rather than later, but I can see why it is not place now.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

I think you're onto something here. If the Albion 'forget' to open the entrances to the Amex they wouldn't have to bother about any of those pesky customers who want to buy stuff once in the ground.

So, if the club never have the inconvenience of having to sell goods to willing customers, they'll be rich, RICH, RICH!

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I think you're onto something here. If the Albion 'forget' to open the entrances to the Amex they wouldn't have to bother about any of those pesky customers who want to buy stuff once in the ground.

So, if the club never have the inconvenience of having to sell goods to willing customers, they'll be rich, RICH, RICH!

I CHALLENGE you to come up with any evidence that this is true. :angry:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
All your suggesting is a link between turnover and attendance - which you think will be a result of a ticket exchange scheme although I can see NO evidence to support this claim. If the individual supporter keeps his wallet closed then the already tenuous link between the two is irrevocably broken.

If a seat remains empty due to the absence of a ticket exchange, the spend generated by that seat will be, um, zero.

Fill that seat with a person via a ticket exchange, and it is more than likely that the spend generated by that person will be somewhere between zero and the cost of a programme, pie, pint etc.

Simples.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham

Oh dear, go and study commercial business and understand how a business generates revenues and a SATISFIED LOYAL customer base.

The club can EASILY make money on the scheme by charging £5-10 on every ticket that it exchanges. Then whether you like it or not, those customers are more likely to spend more cash on the day than an EMPTY PLASTIC SEAT.

Then consider the fact that the engaged customer base is much larger than the closed wall garden of current STH's, and are more likely to continue trying to buy tickets in the future. It's called having a commercial vision, not just sticking your head in the sand and hoping it will all be ok in 3+ years time.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
"How much are we charging for the balti pies this week boss ?"
"Dunno.....how longs the queue ?"

You all seem to assume that everyone will spend all the cash in their wallets at the ground when they are there.

Well sorry to disappoint you they won't, they'll only spend what they want to spend. Some of them may not even bring their wallets with them because they've had a hearty meal and drinks in town a couple of hours earlier. That'll really hit your average spend well and truely on the head.

So all this nonsense about matchday revenue being linked to attendance is just that - a fairy story designed to support your supposition that a ticket exchange can be profitable.

I simply state that the PSL scheme will be more profitable in the short term than any exchange scheme.

The Club seem to think so too..........

rool

Jul 10, 2003
It seems all my business projections and cashflows based on average spends per customer in the hospitality industry have been a complete waste of time.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
You all seem to assume that everyone will spend all the cash in their wallets at the ground when they are there.

Well sorry to disappoint you they won't, they'll only spend what they want to spend. Some of them may not even bring their wallets with them because they've had a hearty meal and drinks in town a couple of hours earlier. That'll really hit your average spend well and truely on the head.

So all this nonsense about matchday revenue being linked to attendance is just that - a fairy story designed to support your supposition that a ticket exchange can be profitable.

Oh for Pete's sake.

One question: How much will an empty plastic seat be spending on a match day?

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham

I simply state that the PSL scheme will be more profitable in the short term than any exchange scheme.

Yep, those 150 PSL's and desperate sales calls back up your argument lol. Its a massive FAIL I'm afraid. And your argument that matchday revenue isnt linked to attendance quite frankly make you sound like a bit of a div, and if teh club charge commision on every echange they make profit on a seat they have already sold once.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Head.
Brick wall.

No, not EVERYONE who buys a spare ticket via the ticket exchange will empty their wallets into our bars and kiosks. But its a fair assumption to make that, on average, a proportion of them will spend a proportion of their hard-earned during their visit to the Amex. We will CERTAINLY make more money on that matchday if we have additional punters in the ground instead of empty seats. Not every single punterwill spend out, but taken as an average across x number of spare tickets sold that otherwise would have resulted in x number of empty seats, the club will get a return that it otherwise would not have done.

Why do you find this concept so impossible to comprehend ?

Last edited:

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Is it a good time to bring up contribution per unit and fixed/variable overheads

Look, there are clearly other important issues the club are dealing with. You can call it trivial in comparison to getting a viable approved travel scheme, you can call it trivial in comparison to getting a safety certificate,
These are essentially the same thing, or at least integrated; no scheme approval means no safety certificate so no lease signed over so no need for a ticket exchange for the disorganised and/or desparate.
you can call it trivial in comparison to NATO's bombing of Tripoli. But the fact remains that this IS going to be an important issue to those fans who were unable to commit to a season ticket, but who want the chance of attending "sold out" games, of which next season most will be. And its also a factor to STH's who are being told they cannot sell on their ticket for games they can't attend without actually handing over their season ticket smartcard to the buyer (ESPECIALLY if there is cash on it).

Isn't this covered by Insider's reponse to B'stoke and HKFF in the past week on Ask the Club - the Club is working on a ticket exchange scheme that will be announced shortly, hopefully this week? The TO has replied to the questions asked by the OP on the basis of what is in place now (and I think both came up at my STH presentation in January); had there been an announcement already this week, which there hasn't as yet, then perhaps the TO response might have been different.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
It seems all my business projections and cashflows based on average spends per customer in the hospitality industry have been a complete waste of time.

Yes...pick up your coat on the way out!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'm guessing 34064 FC has purchased a PSL and is DESPERATELY trying to justify it.

How anyone can argue a £500 PSL is better than the FREE Seatwave system is beyond me.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.

Like most Companies you know they wouldn't, and you also know that you have not countered my arguement using reasoned evidence. You've have, however, attempted to change the conclusion that I reached to better support your case.

I guess that's what they call a 'spin doctor'.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
These are essentially the same thing, or at least integrated; no scheme approval means no safety certificate so no lease signed over so no need for a ticket exchange for the disorganised and/or desparate.

Yes, but my point was that whilst its obviously important, it doesn't in any way trivialise or make "irrelevent" supporters concerns on how to buy or sell season ticket seats using a viable ticket exchange. Its a separate issue entirely.

Isn't this covered by Insider's reponse to B'stoke and HKFF in the past week on Ask the Club - the Club is working on a ticket exchange scheme that will be announced shortly, hopefully this week? The TO has replied to the questions asked by the OP on the basis of what is in place now (and I think both came up at my STH presentation in January); had there been an announcement already this week, which there hasn't as yet, then perhaps the TO response might have been different.

Well, I hope so. I don't know how recent the TO's reply was to the OP, but being as its been posted today, it seems to be the current position. To recap, this is what the club have said to the OP

WILL THERE BE A SCHEME WHERE SEASON TICKET HOLDERS CAN SELL THEIR SEAT FOR A GAME THEY CAN'T ATTEND?
"For those Season Ticket holders that have purchased a Private Seat Licence they can sell tickets for games they are unable to attend through the Club (again details tbc)"

I followed this up asking for a couple of clarifications. Firstly was the season ticket exchange scheme therefore only available to 1901 members. Response was:
"All Season Ticket holders had the oppurtunity to purchase a Private Seat Licence and to take advantage of the Club's re-sales scheme. Season Ticket holders that did not take this option will still be able to sell their tickets via the same means as at Withdean via North Stand Chat or any other similar network.

All very much focussed on the purchase of a PSL, which the club seem to be pushing hard, or referring us to NSC to sort out our own ticket exchange for non PSL's.
Maybe this reply has jumped the gun, but until (unless) we hear otherwise, its a concern.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here