Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Non Season Ticket Holders Unite - Ticket Plans For Next Season

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Food and drink CAN ( and e.g. at Wembley Stadium very often DOES ) run out.

Most people want their lunch on a Saturday sometime between 12 midday and 14:30, and a drink at half-time. The City Centre is awash with places to eat already, and the club are going into direct competition if they are planning to major on the catering side for their profitabilty.

My point is not about the quantity of sales but the profit on the sale, and if the club position their prices at a level of high profitabilty then people will simply eat somewhere else before the game ( and someone who can't afford to buy a season ticket won't appreciate being ripped off for catering as well, so they will certainly eat out beforehand ).

Jeez.

So you're saying that the club will not sell a single pint, pie or packet of crisps?

The fact is there WILL be an average spend on food and drink per attending fan. I have no idea what that figure is, but it's largely irrelevant, but let's call that average spend - Z.

22,000 * Z will be greater than 21,000 * Z - I promise you.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Food and drink CAN ( and e.g. at Wembley Stadium very often DOES ) run out.

Most people want their lunch on a Saturday sometime between 12 midday and 14:30, and a drink at half-time. The City Centre is awash with places to eat already, and the club are going into direct competition if they are planning to major on the catering side for their profitabilty.

My point is not about the quantity of sales but the profit on the sale, and if the club position their prices at a level of high profitabilty then people will simply eat somewhere else before the game ( and someone who can't afford to buy a season ticket won't appreciate being ripped off for catering as well, so they will certainly eat out beforehand ).

Catering prices is not what is being discussed though. Its the matchday revenue the club will lose through there being an empty seat in the stadium, as a direct result of there being no ticket exchange facility for STH's. Pricing don't come into it whether you charge £2 or £4 for a pie, if the person ain't there to buy it.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I haven't read all of this thread, but thought I would post anyway.

Wolves have a season ticket buy back sheme. If a STH cannot attend a match, they tell the club. If the club then manages to re-sell their seat, the STH gets commission from the re-sale. Not ideal, but it does encourage STH's seats top be filled, even if they cannot attend.

I will be a non-season ticket holder next year. To be honest, I'll take what I can get - away matches and cup games mostly - I'm normally only in Sussex for a few weekends every year. I'm sure the interest will eventually die down, or more seats will be installed.

why dont we just wait until the club announce what they are going to do?

or is this far too sensible

Couldn't agree more Gaffer.
It's also a trivial issue in the short term when compared to the pressure the Club's now under from B&HCC to sort out the travel scheme; and if Lewes DC were to reject the Bennett's Field C/P application then that might jepodize final approval of the 22,500 capacity (inconsistent with the B&HCC planning consent). The ESCC archeologist has already recommended some preliminary work would be needed on the site if LDC is mindful to approve

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
The club aren't getting any EXTRA income from programme / food / drink because the unsold program will go to the club shop ( where it will eventually be sold ), the food goes back in the freezer, and the drink goes back in the fridge. Therefore all that is happening is that the club is probably going to sell the products to someone else at a later date ( and it will probably go to a guest of a corporate sponsor who WILL pay for it at the next game ).

Indeed there is absolutely NO reason to think the 'casual fan' who replaces the STH would want food or a programme/ merchandise anyway, more likely that they WON'T buy one, because they are LESS able to afford it, and LESS committed to the club as a whole.

Where a 'casual' replaces a STH, turnover might ( or might not ) increase, but there is no change to the bottom line of the accounts. Profit and turnover are not the same.

I would say the opposite, a casual fan is far more likely than a STH to purchase programmes/food etc.

So you believe that there will be no obsolete programme stock, how can storing 100's of unsold programmes be better than selling more on the day.

If the club sold 10 more burgers for one match they would have the cash in the bank rather than tied up in stock. They would then use part of this cash (the cost) to purchase more stock leaving the surplus (the profit) in the bank. If they sold 10 extra burgers a match thats 230 a season extra profit on burgers because if they sell the burgers thay will replace the stock at a low cost than it was sold for

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
Match day revenue and catering prices are inexorably linked - because there won't be much else offered for sale in the concourses.

What else are you planning to buy that will give the club revenue, don't tell me, not a PSL by any chance ? No, thought not.

Anyway I'm wasting my breath with you lot because you don't seem to read my posts and insist on quoting me out of context to twist the meaning to suit yourself.

I can see why Ken Clarke gets so p**** off now...........

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I will be a non-season ticket holder next year. To be honest, I'll take what I can get - away matches and cup games mostly - I'm normally only in Sussex for a few weekends every year. I'm sure the interest will eventually die down, or more seats will be installed.

The problem is though strings, unless you can find someone who is willing to lend you their season ticket smartcard, the only spares you'll be able to pick up will be the 900-odd they keep back for matchday sales, or the handful of PSL owners who have put their seat up on the ticket exchange.

Its just a bit of a nonsense that STH's without a PSL, who are unable to attend, will have no means of making their seat available for sale without physically giving their smartcard over to the buyer for that game. Seats WILL be available in the stadium, just nobody will actually be able to get hold of them.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It's also a trivial issue in the short term when compared to the pressure the Club's now under from B&HCC to sort out the travel scheme;

Its not trivial to non-STH's who are desperate to get to the Amex for a few games.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
Jeez.

So you're saying that the club will not sell a single pint, pie or packet of crisps?

The fact is there WILL be an average spend on food and drink per attending fan. I have no idea what that figure is, but it's largely irrelevant, but let's call that average spend - Z.

22,000 * Z will be greater than 21,000 * Z - I promise you.

The value of Z is not fixed and can go up or down on a match by match basis according to the whim of the supporter.

You seem to have convieniently overlooked this fact. Indeed assuming that the figure is fixed for perpituity is an absolutely illogical assumption.

The ONLY figure that matters to the club accounts is profit or loss, and no amount of statistical calculation will change that.

All your suggesting is a link between turnover and attendance - which you think will be a result of a ticket exchange scheme although I can see NO evidence to support this claim. If the individual supporter keeps his wallet closed then the already tenuous link between the two is irrevocably broken.

Last edited:

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
The problem is though strings, unless you can find someone who is willing to lend you their season ticket smartcard, the only spares you'll be able to pick up will be the 900-odd they keep back for matchday sales, or the handful of PSL owners who have put their seat up on the ticket exchange.

Its just a bit of a nonsense that STH's without a PSL, who are unable to attend, will have no means of making their seat available for sale without physically giving their smartcard over to the buyer for that game. Seats WILL be available in the stadium, just nobody will actually be able to get hold of them.

This is true. It'll be frustrating at times for not STH's, I'm sure. However, I knew when I decided not to buy a season ticket that I would struggle to get tickets next season. I don't really think it is my place to moan too much about it because it is a choice I conciously made - I'll just make sure that I am on the ticket website the second that tickets for games become available.

I'm confident that I'll get tickets for pointless Carling Cup home games, and several away games next season. I'll be happy with that until the glorious day comes that I move back to Sussex.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Match day revenue and catering prices are inexorably linked - because there won't be much else offered for sale in the concourses.

What else are you planning to buy that will give the club revenue, don't tell me, not a PSL by any chance ? No, thought not.

Anyway I'm wasting my breath with you lot because you don't seem to read my posts and insist on quoting me out of context to twist the meaning to suit yourself.

I can see why Ken Clarke gets so p**** off now...........

Not really. You're just not making any sense, missing the point and flying off on irrelevant tangents (misconstruing the Seatwave website as another £500 PSL as an example).

Bottom line - if a bum isn't on a seat at any given game, then he or she isn't there to buy the merchandise, which means ultimately the club loses out.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The value of Z is not fixed and can go up or down on a match by match basis.

You seem to have convieniently overlooked this fact.

Herr Tubthumper whispers but z is the average.....

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
jeez.

The fact is there will be an average spend on food and drink per attending fan. I have no idea what that figure is, but it's largely irrelevant, but let's call that average spend - z.

22,000 * z will be greater than 21,000 * z - i promise you.

this :)

unless they change prices every game - and assuming people don't eat/drink more/less just to spend the same amount of money??

Does ANYONE understand what 34064 Fighter Command is on about?

Last edited:

Its not trivial to non-STH's who are desperate to get to the Amex for a few games.

Not only is this "issue" trivial in comparison with getting a viable and approval travel scheme is place (after 4 years of finger twiddling and waffle), without the latter it's probably irrelevant.
"Desperate" non-STHs! There's a min 5% available (as at Withdean) for individual sale - I just don't see any real evidence for there being a real problem here.
All the club have done here is answer the OP's questions when, it appears to me, he wanted the answer to another that wasn't asked. There is a response from Insider to HKFF about a proposed Ticket Exchange scheme being under consideration that in no way contradicts what the Ticket Office has advised the OP is the situation as of today.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

unless they change prices every game - and assuming people don't eat/drink more/less just to spend the same amount of money??

"How much are we charging for the balti pies this week boss ?"
"Dunno.....how longs the queue ?"

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.

Go and study accountancy and you might just find out what overheads, profit, sales and turnover actually mean.

There is no evidence ( and I challenge you to come up with some ) that the club will see increased profit based on increased sales from running a ticket exchange scheme.

When you've found that evidence, then suggest to the club that you can run it for them..........

I'll look forward to reading about your insolvency in the papers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here