Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Non Boxing Day football [moved to Tue. December 18th]

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Bit of a bounce but only because last night I was told by a source at the club that the choice the League are giving the club is to play it on Boxing Day or face a fine worth ten's of thousands of pounds. I have no reason to disbelieve this source and it wouldn't surprise me if that was the League's stance.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
If we don't fulfill the fixture against league wishes then they could deduct points ?

I'm told that currently the only talk is of a fine but I wouldn't be surprised to see the club up on some sort of charge of bringing the game into disrepute meaning the possibility of a points deduction.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
I'm told that currently the only talk is of a fine but I wouldn't be surprised to see the club up on some sort of charge of bringing the game into disrepute meaning the possibility of a points deduction.

If the league tell us we must play on Boxing Day then I don't see how we can refuse and the club would be better off working out how to manage this

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Basically. we're either going to pay tens of thousands of pounds to a bus company, or to the league. So we may as well sort the buses and play the game as scheduled.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Bit of a bounce but only because last night I was told by a source at the club that the choice the League are giving the club is to play it on Boxing Day or face a fine worth ten's of thousands of pounds. I have no reason to disbelieve this source and it wouldn't surprise me if that was the League's stance.

Ah but [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] said

1. Exhibit A: Darren Balkham on The Albion Roar all but said the game wouldn't be played on Boxing Day.

So is there not a third permutation which is the club reluctantly agree to having the game on Boxing Day and the police refuse on safety grounds? After all they managed to move Palace to 12 on a Sunday. I'm not saying this is desirable or would put us in a particularly good light but if Darren Balkham is against playing it when it's scheduled we can't have that much wriggle room anyway?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Good. Well done to the Football League. Why should thousands of fans and another club be totally messed about because the Albion are being embarrassingly cautious? Just man up BHAFC and get this game on like every other club in the country will be doing. Man United get 76,000 to Old Trafford and that's not in walking distance of most of Manchester, so why do we deserve special treatment? If the Albion dare to try and change it, I really hope they get stung for a huge fine.

I'd have thought this is fairly straightforward. If there is a threat to safety the police can do what they want. Clearly, on Boxing Day, there is no threat to safety whatsoever.

You're obviously bit of a bell, so might not understand but here goes.

1) Manchester has an extensive tram service, right up to Old Trafford. This runs on boxing day. We have a railway, which is not running.
2) Around Old Trafford there is a LARGE amount of private car parking. We do not have this.
3) There is an extensive bus service around Greater Manchester on Boxing Day.

I also imagine, the police have to worry about the safety of people, and ensuring 27,000ish people can get to the ground, and get away. This is not likely to be an option at present.

Hope this helps.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I'd have thought this is fairly straightforward. If there is a threat to safety the police can do what they want. Clearly, on Boxing Day, there is no threat to safety whatsoever.

Obviously there isn't in the ground. But there isn't in the ground for Palace either. It got moved because of what might happen in the town and in the transport system. If the police think there will additional risks to the public on the A27 with drop offs, with increased illegal parking in Moulsecoob and Coldean, and with a gang of fans with not the greatest reputation in the world with no special trains home then they must be within their rights to want it changed. Why would PC Balkham raise it on the Albion Roar if he was happy with it?

P&R Boxing Day?

To be honest, these sound like the sort of lame excuses a total tart would come out with - so I can imagine those in charge of the Albion have thought of them all already. Additional risks on the A27? What? Don't drop people off on the A27 if you've got a brain. Illegal parking in Moulsecoomb - how is that a SAFETY concern? Nobody is going to DIE if we hold a match without full transport options, which is what some people sound like they are suggesting.

You won't be parking illegally in Coldean or Moulsecoomb on Boxing Day or any other matchday for that matter. There are currently no parking restrictions enforced by the council in these two areas. We are asked not to park there so as not to piss off the residents.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If we HAVE to play the game with no public transport, it's going to make getting out of the East stand on the final whistle a bit tricky.

I might have to leave early.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
They should stop fannying about with this and get on with it. Firstly, only the disabled or those living 3 + miles and bringing 2 passengers should be allowed to buy a parking space, the rest can walk/cycle. Train a few stewards to drive buses and get a shuttle service of sorts from Brighton Train Station going or alternatively chuck a bunch of money at B&H buses to provide a limited shuttle service. Advice people to leave extremely early and sort some form of entertainment out at the Stadium, and make it good entertainment that people will actually arrive early and stay late for. And get Gus to make sure it's a good game of football so people don't get knarcked off trying to get home afterwards.

You won't be parking illegally in Coldean or Moulsecoomb on Boxing Day or any other matchday for that matter. There are currently no parking restrictions enforced by the council in these two areas. We are asked not to park there so as not to piss off the residents.

Although, under the S106 conditions of the original stadium planning consent, the club incures an escalating financial penalty if on-street matchday parking in Moulsecoomb exceeds the "normal" baseline by a certain percentage (10 or 20, I can't remember). Approval of the increased stadium capacity extends this requirement to Coldean and both can/will continue if, at the end of the consulation process, the residents in either or both areas vote against the intoduction of a matchday CPZ.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Although, under the S106 conditions of the original stadium planning consent, the club incures an escalating financial penalty if on-street matchday parking in Moulsecoomb exceeds the "normal" baseline by a certain percentage (10 or 20, I can't remember). Approval of the increased stadium capacity extends this requirement to Coldean and both can/will continue if, at the end of the consulation process, the residents in either or both areas vote against the intoduction of a matchday CPZ.

but with people visiting friends on boxing day inm coldean and moulescombe, there will be increase in parking anyway, so how will they know who is football and who is visiting family friends etc?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here