Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Non Boxing Day football [moved to Tue. December 18th]

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Can't understand that , if the match is in doubt to be played on Boxing Day then why sell tickets for it ?

Worse than that was the fact they advertised it like this:

The scheme is new to Albion supporters this season and offers non-season-ticket holders the opportunity to reserve the same seat at the Amex for the selected four games throughout the season, which includes the popular Boxing Day clash.

[MENTION=14478]lugsy[/MENTION] would have every right to be pissed off.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
If the club cannot reach agreement with the transport companies it comes down to the Safety Advisory Group recommending the game is switched to another date. I assume the FL would agree to this.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Dear Sir /Madam:

I am writing with a simple question. How are supporters supposed to
get to The Amex for Brighton & Hove Albion vs Millwall with there being
no public transport? It is a well publicized fact that BHA were
given permission to build the ground subject to meeting certain
criteria in relation to fans using public transport. The % fan
usage of this form of transport for matches is far above that of any other club
in the land.

Obviously a lesson should be learned and future games should be scheduled away
on Boxing Day where fans are able to drive to matches, again this cannot happen
at The Amex due to planning regulations and consent.

I would be interested to know the FL view on this and how it can be overcome
short of playing in front of about 5000 fans who live within walking distance.

Yours faithfully

Brian,

Thank you for your email.

As with all The League's members clubs, Brighton & Hove Albion has a
responsibility to The Football League and all other 71 League clubs to fulfil
its home fixture schedule.

Thank you for contacting The Football League.

Regards,

Andrew Pomfret
Customer Services Officer
The Football League Limited

Here is the email I sent and the reply I received.
Blimey. Reading between the lines (and making two plus two equal four million) the League seem to be digging their heels in. Safety reasons or not if we don't fulfill the fixture we're looking at a potential points deduction.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
The FL was very non committal in their e mail reply to me. They said a lot of nothing.

Thats probably all they can say and they told you what is already common knowledge. Clubs do have a responsibility to fulfill fixtures, although if the "Safety Advisory Group" says that it shouldnt go ahead, the FL cant really say no - considering the Police are in SAG too and i doubt the FL would go against Police advice.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Worse than that was the fact they advertised it like this:

[MENTION=14478]lugsy[/MENTION] would have every right to be pissed off.
"The popular Boxing Day clash - which this year will be on April 14th"

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
But there is no safety reason to factor in, it is just an inconvienence factor in that there will be no trains and a limited bus service to get people there. If the club actually announced now one way or another exactly what was going on and what are the exact arrangements for getting there then all this would be put to bed.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I've heard its being moved to the 27th and a 7.45 ko, sorry if fixtures, cant be bothered to read the thread.

My firm will be ready whatever the date and time.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
I wish they would sort it out, my relationship with the wife is carnage at the moment over where we are spending Christmas, our gaf or the inlaws (its there turn!)

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
If it is moved it does beg the question will we ever have a boxing day match at Falmer. Big shame IMO if the answer turns out to be no.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
But there is no safety reason to factor in, it is just an inconvienence factor in that there will be no trains and a limited bus service to get people there. If the club actually announced now one way or another exactly what was going on and what are the exact arrangements for getting there then all this would be put to bed.

There will be a safety issue if it's moved to the date and time Bushy mentions. South London's finest with 7 hours of boozing inside them will not lend to a peaceful match.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Moving it to Thursday means the players will all be extra knackered for the televised game against Watford on the Saturday.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
If the overpaid employees of our National Railway system earn too much to bother turning out on Boxing day. I'm sure The Bluebell Railway or Watercress Line would fall over themselves to pick up the slack with a couple of diesel trains and staff to run them for the day.
I can see the Real Ale, pipe smoking beardies frothing at the mouth for the opportunity. :salute:

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
I've heard its being moved to the 27th and a 7.45 ko, sorry if fixtures, cant be bothered to read the thread.

Is that from a Millwall fan? because my Millwall supporting work coll seems to think the same. If so then it seems they know more than we do concerning this.

Albion 4ever

Feb 26, 2009
I can't see why we could not play in the midweek before Christmas as no fixtures planned at moment. That way we all get a rest over Christmas!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here