Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Non Boxing Day football [moved to Tue. December 18th]

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
As a side issue: I was told yesterday by somebody who I would describe of sound mind & not a Billy Bullshitter type: The Railways Companies receive a subsidy from the Government to run trains on Boxing Day, BUT, its actually cheaper to pay the fine for not running the trains rather than operate a service!

Anyone 'in the know' care to shed some light as to if there is any truth in that statement? If (?) true, maybe the level of fine needs to be reviewed?

See post #195

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Have you mentioned how this wouldn't happen in Germany yet?

Very funny. But it would not happen at other events in this country let alone Germany. I'm not saying it is not difficult but moving it is the easy option. This issue is not insurmountable. If a farmer in Pilton can organise a party and have 250,000 people on his land in the middle of knowhere then I'm sure we can organise a football match on the edge of a city.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm certainly not underestimating the challenge of holding the Boxing Day game. Its going to be a pain in the arse to solve, BUT, in my opinion, its not impossible to find a solution.

This.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
1. Exhibit A: Darren Balkham on The Albion Roar all but said the game wouldn't be played on Boxing Day.

2. Exhibit B: The club's statement this week: Brighton and Hove Albion | News | Latest News | Latest News | Boxing Day 2012: Albion v Millwall It doesn't take much reading between the lines that the Albion do not want the game to go ahead as scheduled, whilst other parties do.

I can't comment much on exhibit A as I don't listen to the show ( I know, bad fan ! ) but while there is a hint that the club would prefer not to have the match on Boxing Day but it's a very vague hint. I'm sure, given the lateness of the day, the club have a plan B and that will be to hold the match on the correct day with some alternative travel solutions put in place. I'd heap loads of money on the club being forced into plan b.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Ooops, that slipped through the net. Almost 'fixturised' myself. Interesting, especially as the person who told me isn't local & works for SW Trains in the London area.

That's not my mate - could be true then.
The other thing I read was recently there was a Labour MP moaning to Tories about this issue.
When Labour were in power there was some Tory MP moaning about it to Labour :facepalm:

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
I can't comment much on exhibit A as I don't listen to the show ( I know, bad fan ! ) but while there is a hint that the club would prefer not to have the match on Boxing Day but it's a very vague hint. I'm sure, given the lateness of the day, the club have a plan B and that will be to hold the match on the correct day with some alternative travel solutions put in place. I'd heap loads of money on the club being forced into plan b.

If the club could have it on Boxing Day with no travel disruption - they will. If we were at Withdean - no question this would certainly be played. But you cant get 23,000 people to a stadium with no trains, a vastly scaled down bus service and possibly even no P&R.

I do want it to go ahead, but for sheer logistical reasons - what with a lot of fans living outside Brighton and with a lot not having access to a car/able to drive - the lack of travel will mean it just cant. The people who want it to go ahead (with no transport because they couldnt care about any other fans) are just stuck in the past - it will be incredibly difficult to get 23,000 to an out-of-town stadium with barely any transport.

I wouldnt be surprised if in a few years we get a better transport service on Boxing Day though, not long ago there was no trains at all.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Very funny. But it would not happen at other events in this country let alone Germany. I'm not saying it is not difficult but moving it is the easy option. This issue is not insurmountable. If a farmer in Pilton can organise a party and have 250,000 people on his land in the middle of knowhere then I'm sure we can organise a football match on the edge of a city.
Yes. They make massive use of temporary car parking. As on Boxing Day there will be no trains and bugger all buses it's pretty obvious that private cars will have to take up a fair bit of the slack. What it needs is for the club to get one of the local farmers to have one of those temporary plastic car parks in their field and charge £5 a car to park, it will be absolute chaos, but at least the out-of-town fans will be able to attend.

Without even asking I know there will umpteen planning regulations that mean that that will be a non-starter.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If the club could have it on Boxing Day with no travel disruption - they will. If we were at Withdean - no question this would certainly be played. But you cant get 23,000 people to a stadium with no trains, a vastly scaled down bus service and possibly even no P&R.

I do want it to go ahead, but for sheer logistical reasons - what with a lot of fans living outside Brighton and with a lot not having access to a car/able to drive - the lack of travel will mean it just cant. The people who want it to go ahead (with no transport because they couldnt care about any other fans) are just stuck in the past - it will be incredibly difficult to get 23,000 to an out-of-town stadium with barely any transport.

I wouldnt be surprised if in a few years we get a better transport service on Boxing Day though, not long ago there was no trains at all.

this is what I think

Attachments

• white-feather2.jpg
    white-feather2.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 47

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yes. They make massive use of temporary car parking. As on Boxing Day there will be no trains and bugger all buses it's pretty obvious that private cars will have to take up a fair bit of the slack. What it needs is for the club to get one of the local farmers to have one of those temporary plastic car parks in their field and charge £5 a car to park, it will be absolute chaos, but at least the out-of-town fans will be able to attend.

Without even asking I know there will umpteen planning regulations that mean that that will be a non-starter.

They also manage to bring in loads of buses and coaches and run a shuttle from the nearest train station.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks

I'm with you, there will be a plan B and the game will go ahead. Lets not forget the club pay the rail & bus companies a healthy amount to provide free transport for all fans for all home games. I'm certain the club would be forcing a refund if the transport can't be provided on a particular day and NO company likes giving money back which has already been budgeted for etc. I read the latest statement as talks are still ongoing with the relevant companies to provide a solution. If it was a complete no-no on the train & bus front this game would have been rearranged by now.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

lugsy

Sep 2, 2009
Keeping an eye on this outcome, i can't make many matches due to working but have manged to get the 4 match pack including this game and will be gutted if they move it as I won't be able to make it as work week evenings.This should have been sorted before they advertised the match pack including this game.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Keeping an eye on this outcome, i can't make many matches due to working but have manged to get the 4 match pack including this game and will be gutted if they move it as I won't be able to make it as work week evenings.This should have been sorted before they advertised the match pack including this game.

Can't understand that , if the match is in doubt to be played on Boxing Day then why sell tickets for it ?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Can't understand that , if the match is in doubt to be played on Boxing Day then why sell tickets for it ?

As part of the 4 match pack the ticket would still be valid for the re-scheduled game , what remains to be seen is the club offering a £28 refund for supporters who cannot go to the game when it is due to be played.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

As part of the 4 match pack the ticket would still be valid for the re-scheduled game , what remains to be seen is the club offering a £28 refund for supporters who cannot go to the game when it is due to be played.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Dear Sir /Madam:

I am writing with a simple question. How are supporters supposed to
get to The Amex for Brighton & Hove Albion vs Millwall with there being
no public transport? It is a well publicized fact that BHA were
given permission to build the ground subject to meeting certain
criteria in relation to fans using public transport. The % fan
usage of this form of transport for matches is far above that of any other club
in the land.

Obviously a lesson should be learned and future games should be scheduled away
on Boxing Day where fans are able to drive to matches, again this cannot happen
at The Amex due to planning regulations and consent.

I would be interested to know the FL view on this and how it can be overcome
short of playing in front of about 5000 fans who live within walking distance.

Yours faithfully

Brian,

Thank you for your email.

As with all The League's members clubs, Brighton & Hove Albion has a
responsibility to The Football League and all other 71 League clubs to fulfil
its home fixture schedule.

Thank you for contacting The Football League.

Regards,

Andrew Pomfret
Customer Services Officer
The Football League Limited

Here is the email I sent and the reply I received.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here