Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] No hot water from boiler

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
More boiler/shower problems

I have two issues and I think i need different people to solve them. Firstly, we have a problem with the flue, the service engineer says that it's not sealed to the building and needs to be fixed and there's also a problem with the flue guard (whatever that is)

The second issue is with the shower. We don't get any hot water but's it NOT a problem with the boiler as both the bath tap and the bathroom basin tap provide hot water, so I suspect it's an issue with the mixing valve in the shower.

Any recommendations to fixing these?
You will need lots of money

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Nobody would get me out of the door to do some actual work at this time [emoji38]ol:
I got a missed call from a customer at 23.10 last night, I didn't call back today what with it being my birthday...
Whatever it was must've sorted itself..

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I got a missed call from a customer at 23.10 last night, I didn't call back today what with it being my birthday...
Whatever it was must've sorted itself..

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

Happy Birthday.

I have got to the point where I wouldn’t ring anyone back that rang at that time, I don’t advertise as an emergency plumber.
If someone was ringing at that time I would guess they have an emergency and are ringing around.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Mr pedantic plumber here :D

There could be an air lock if the hot supply to the shower is taken off the vent pipe high up near the cold water storage tank, this would be an issue from the start though because of a bad installation.

Not sure what boiler pressure would have anything to do with this, boiler pressure is the water in a sealed heating system, combi boiler, system boiler pressurised heating system.

Ah ha... you've sussed out I'm not a plumber 😂. Yes, my installation sucks, it's been like that since I moved in. The shower hot supply (yes, connected from the vent pipe near the cold water tank) usually fails after we've been away for a week - I have fixed it before by using a wet vac over the end of the vent... presumably that would confirm your airlock point?? (So it was probably coincidence that it corrected after I let more water into the boiler system 🤷*♂️). Thanks for your consultancy time 👍👍

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
More boiler/shower problems

I have two issues and I think i need different people to solve them. Firstly, we have a problem with the flue, the service engineer says that it's not sealed to the building and needs to be fixed and there's also a problem with the flue guard (whatever that is)

The second issue is with the shower. We don't get any hot water but's it NOT a problem with the boiler as both the bath tap and the bathroom basin tap provide hot water, so I suspect it's an issue with the mixing valve in the shower.

Any recommendations to fixing these?

Flue guard is £10 from Screwfix.

The sealing I assume is cement around the flue, sealing the gap between the hole and the flue. Had to cement the hole the other day and had to paint the wall red yesterday. Sealing the hole around the flue is a reg requirement. Took this photo and sent it to my mate who fitted the boiler for me. You have to flip up the gasket to see it.

IMG_20211109_125705.jpg

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Flue guard is a wire cage usually fitted when a boiler flue is low enough to be touched, the guard stops anyone from burning themselves.
View attachment 142024
The flue not sealed to the building maybe something as simple as no making good around the flue inside or outside of the property.
You could do these jobs yourself, shame the service engineer didn’t explain the issues more clearly.

I could advise on the shower if I knew what make and model.

Thanks. I'll have a look at the flue.

The model is a Vira Riser Slide Shower with dual valve

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

I had to look at Google to find the shower as I hadn’t heard of it.
It probably needs a thermostatic cartridge, it’s sometimes difficult to get hold of spares for some makes of shower.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach

It probably needs a thermostatic cartridge, it’s sometimes difficult to get hold of spares for some makes of shower.

I find it cheaper and easier to replace the unit.

ae235.jpeg
One like this is £40 from Screwfix and comes with 2 yr warranty.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/rize-exposed-thermostatic-mixer-shower-valve-fixed-chrome/491fv

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill

Likely this - You can try sending a pic to ShowerDoc or Di vapor although they normally need the cart removed, photo'd, and measured.. by the time you've got a plumber out to do that (and thermo carts cost £80-130) you well on the way to a new shower valve, with guarantee etc..

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Thanks for all the input. By the sounds of it, the flue (and guard) is something I can fix myself but it sounds like I need a plumber to fix the shower - which is a bit of a pain.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here