[Misc] No hot water from boiler

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Has Bozza had a shower this week?

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
The heating has been working just fine - it's just hot water from the boiler that is the issue.

This thread has been going on for so long I forgot the beginning bit.:smile:
I should have mentioned some motorised valves have a spring loaded manual lever on the back to bypass the powered valve.
Difficult to see from the photos.

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
We have our boiler cover with Aviva - initial price about a quarter of British Gas - now gone up a bit but still under half what BG cost was

Aviva sub contract the cover to either Homeserve or a local firm in Derby

Both provide miles better service than BG used to when any issues

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The valve thing was stuck.

The one I'd looked at was the heating one, not the hot water one.

Bollocks.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
The valve thing was stuck.

The one I'd looked at was the heating one, not the hot water one.

Bollocks.

I've kept away from this thread for a week to keep my (trained/qualified/re-tested every 5 years) sanity, but post 48 did kinda tell you that.. :smile:

bomber130

bomber130
Jun 10, 2011
Have not read all the posts but I’d say your boiler is broken

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
This is close to the cylinder.

fea46a9f4fab0ad2fc3b233e57dce78d.jpg

Hello, my old friend.

Our hot water is being an arse again - intermittently not coming on when timed to do so.

This little ******* of a box seems to be the blame again. Manually advancing the water to come on and giving this guy a whack tends to sort it out.

Anyone here do the job of replacing these with a new one that will work when asked and not require a smack around the head?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Hello, my old friend.

Our hot water is being an arse again - intermittently not coming on when timed to do so.

This little ******* of a box seems to be the blame again. Manually advancing the water to come on and giving this guy a whack tends to sort it out.

Anyone here do the job of replacing these with a new one that will work when asked and not require a smack around the head?

I’m happy to give it a go. What could possibly go wrong?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Hello, my old friend.

I'm no expert, but I don't believe that any heating engineers require a smack around the head by way of motivation. Payment will normally suffice

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Hello, my old friend.

https://youtu.be/M2vlQsaqi7k

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
More boiler/shower problems

I have two issues and I think i need different people to solve them. Firstly, we have a problem with the flue, the service engineer says that it's not sealed to the building and needs to be fixed and there's also a problem with the flue guard (whatever that is)

The second issue is with the shower. We don't get any hot water but's it NOT a problem with the boiler as both the bath tap and the bathroom basin tap provide hot water, so I suspect it's an issue with the mixing valve in the shower.

Any recommendations to fixing these?

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire

I have two issues and I think i need different people to solve them. Firstly, we have a problem with the flue, the service engineer says that it's not sealed to the building and needs to be fixed and there's also a problem with the flue guard (whatever that is)

The second issue is with the shower. We don't get any hot water but's it NOT a problem with the boiler as both the bath tap and the bathroom basin tap provide hot water, so I suspect it's an issue with the mixing valve in the shower.

It could depend on where the hot supply pipe to your shower is taken from: ours comes off the venting pipe of the hot water system, so if the water pressure in the boiler is a bit low...the head of water in the venting pipe isn't high enough to reach the join and feed the shower.
Omg, now I've described our system it's clearly very Heath Robinson ��

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
It could depend on where the hot supply pipe to your shower is taken from: ours comes off the venting pipe of the hot water system, so if the water pressure in the boiler is a bit low...the head of water in the venting pipe isn't high enough to reach the join and feed the shower.
Omg, now I've described our system it's clearly very Heath Robinson ��

Mr pedantic plumber here :D

There could be an air lock if the hot supply to the shower is taken off the vent pipe high up near the cold water storage tank, this would be an issue from the start though because of a bad installation.

Not sure what boiler pressure would have anything to do with this, boiler pressure is the water in a sealed heating system, combi boiler, system boiler pressurised heating system.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

Flue guard is a wire cage usually fitted when a boiler flue is low enough to be touched, the guard stops anyone from burning themselves.
45BE51D3-0775-4369-9D8F-C3C72C609738.jpeg
The flue not sealed to the building maybe something as simple as no making good around the flue inside or outside of the property.
You could do these jobs yourself, shame the service engineer didn’t explain the issues more clearly.

I could advise on the shower if I knew what make and model.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Flue guard is a wire cage usually fitted when a boiler flue is low enough to be touched, the guard stops anyone from burning themselves.
View attachment 142024
The flue not sealed to the building maybe something as simple as no making good around the flue inside or outside of the property.
You could do these jobs yourself, shame the service engineer didn’t explain the issues more clearly.

I could advise on the shower if I knew what make and model.

Your customer service department stays open late

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here