Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] No hot water from boiler

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
You are probably right, a good trusted plumber is usually booked up in advance and not sitting around waiting for the phone to ring. :) :wink:
I've had a couple of emergency call outs recently, I'm currently chasing up payment [emoji849]

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I've had a couple of emergency call outs recently, I'm currently chasing up payment [emoji849]

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

I very rarely leave a property without payment, I've got a card reader and invoice books with bank transfer details.
Most customers have no problem with paying me once I have completed a job, some ask if I'm going to send them an invoice but don't argue when I get the invoice book from the van.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I very rarely leave a property without payment, I've got a card reader and invoice books with bank transfer details.
Most customers have no problem with paying me once I have completed a job, some ask if I'm going to send them an invoice but don't argue when I get the invoice book from the van.
I’m always payment on completion and have the card machine, if they opt for bank transfer I wait in the property and once in the bank I leave most are fine about it. Once you’ve left the job without payment it’s generally a ball ache. I invoice direct from phone saves paper and easy to down load for accounts.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Back on track, did [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] get his bloody boiler fixed?

Appreciate the concern!

Not yet - BG's first available appointment was next Friday (ie 7th February).

Seems pretty poor to me as if we didn't have the immersion we'd not have any hot water, and for all BG know we don't have heating either, given how their online menu drives through "what's wrong?" choices.

Needless to say, I'll be reconsidering this cover when it comes up for renewal.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
I wish you would say British Gas the thought of calling out [MENTION=451]BensGrandad[/MENTION] to fix anything gives me the eebyjeebies:ohmy:
We have used Pavilion Plumbing for all our boiler problems for years.
Albion supporter too.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...

Have you got Homecare? Depending on the level of cover it does pay for itself in spades when things truly f*ck up.

The gas main was replaced along the road at our old place a couple of years back, and when they came to switch our gas back on they detected a leak and were so legally obliged not to. British Gas came out and ran a new gas pipe from the meter around the house to the reconnect the boiler and hob without question or charge. We had Homecare 400.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Appreciate the concern!

Seems pretty poor to me as if we didn't have the immersion we'd not have any hot water, and for all BG know we don't have heating either, given how their online menu drives through "what's wrong?" choices.

British Gas are not good at dealing with problems promptly which is why we left them and went to SSE. We were on their priority list due to my other half having chronic asthma, and myself a pensioner with a chronic illness, but when our heating failed, they took three days to get to us.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Yes - this was the first available Homecare appointment. We're also Homecare 400.

Getting an appointment can be awkward, you're right (and the app is rubbish). We're due a first service on our new place, which is booked for the end of next month - we moved in before Christmas...

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
In 1973 when I started being a plumbing and heating engineer there were a lot of old boilers/cylinders around.
In 2020 there are still a lot of old boilers/cylinders about.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
In 1973 when I started being a plumbing and heating engineer there were a lot of old boilers/cylinders around.
In 2020 there are still a lot of old boilers/cylinders about.

1BB35AAF-4E63-4233-9848-14C4963E7A56.jpeg

I had to remove this last week :ohmy::ohmy: I would say it was very old, it was very old in 1973. :smile:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Appreciate the concern!

That’s poor!

Recidivist

Apr 28, 2019
Worthing
Getting an appointment can be awkward, you're right (and the app is rubbish). We're due a first service on our new place, which is booked for the end of next month - we moved in before Christmas...

BG have got progressively worse over the past couple of years. When I started getting dates for annual services several months ahead then nothing at all online, I came to the conclusion that they’d simply lost interest in providing any sort of service.

Tried phoning instead and went through a very lengthy automated security rigmarole only to be told there was no one available and try online!

Am with SSE now who seem a bit better but it’s pretty difficult finding any national companies that want to provide this service and have a decent reputation!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
I really wouldn't recommend a BG homecare plan.
Yes sometimes they'll have a slot for you right away, and sometimes the person who turns up is good at their job. That's still a lot of other times when you're waiting days for a Muppet.
I went to a customer's house because he had a leak. The leak was right next to an external expansion vessel and a magnaclean and had clearly been dripping away for weeks.
He mentioned having his boiler serviced by BG the previous week. "Didn't they mention this to you?" I asked.
"Oh they never looked in there"

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I remember my dad cutting new rubber gaskets for those galvanised heaters. I would be spooning the scale into a bucket.

I unbolted the front and bailed out the scale with a cut down plastic bottle, filled 2 buckets.
Made it easier to get the tank out and down the stairs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here