Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NME list the top 20 songs of the last 15 years

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
I'm surprised LCD are not in the list. Band of the decade for me. James Murphy man of the decade. His Greenburg score is a change in direction but just as good as anything he did in LCD. Dont like Hot Chip? Are you insane? Foals, a very overrated band. First album was great, second is very disposable. I got bored with it within about 2 listens.

James Murphy & Pat Mahoney, plus the Juan Maclean are all playing the Future Music Festival here next March, along with none other than our own Norman - should be interesting.....

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
"Tottenham Hotspur...postponed....West Ham United.....1...h"

Genius

This is genius. I heard a story that the head of sport at the BBC was a huge Fall fan and this was arranged as a tribute to him when he died. I hope this is true as it's a wonderful story. What a legacy to leave the world.

What a f***ing pisstake. That's mainly just a list of songs for people who aren't individual enough to like their own music so just go with the crowd. Who actually likes Radiohead? I've never heard a single person claim they do, yet they're number one. I've only actually heard of three of the top ten which shows what a joke it is. Where is the Take That song? You can't tell me none of the boys' efforts since 1996 deserve to be in the top 20 songs. Coldplay - Fix You is arguably the best song of that period, and Someone Like You by Adele is the best of the last year. Farcical list.

Top work. :fishing:

For the record, I love Radiohead.

Oct 25, 2003
amy winehouse did at least 2 songs that did quite well that are better than rehab.......i guess the whole dying thing makes it a bit more poignant, but "back to black" and "you know i'm no good" are better than rehab imo,

also, aloe blacc- i need a dollar...TUNE

Oct 25, 2003
Oh whoops though it was 20. In that case there is only ONE band and ONE artist that springs to mind!

yeah yeah you like coldplay blah blah blah

this is the nme's list, not yours..........i've been to publications before and had to do shit like this, so it was most likely drawn up by a work experience kid, who was told to whack in a few controversial choices and leave out a few well known bands etc. (would explain the presence of jls and no coldplay)

anyway, it's provoked a debate and therefore served its purpose

darters74

Jun 9, 2011
All over the place
To be fair I've only listened to the first Hot Chip album, couldn't bring myself to listen to any more. I also saw them live at Benicassim and while they were energetic I just found them a bit overly simplistic. Maybe I should give them another listen see if my opinion has changed.

I strongly disagree wrt Foals. I loved their early singles, thought the first album was very average (the singles were overly simplistic and the other songs just a bit dreary), but really like the second album.

I've got 2 Hot Chip albums, they really are hit n miss, but Over And Over is the best dance tune ever and would have been in my top 5 ! Bloc Party, Banquet is another choon, God knows what JLS are doing in there though!

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts
yeah yeah you like coldplay blah blah blah

this is the nme's list, not yours..........i've been to publications before and had to do shit like this, so it was most likely drawn up by a work experience kid, who was told to whack in a few controversial choices and leave out a few well known bands etc. (would explain the presence of jls and no coldplay)

anyway, it's provoked a debate and therefore served its purpose

I'm sure there is some truth in that! I mean JLS?! :facepalm:

I'm not winding you up at all.

Have you ever sat at home and fancied a bit of Radiohead on the stereo?
Yes
Have you ever gone out in public and heard Radiohead being played?
No
Have you ever gone round a mate's house to find them listening to Radiohead?
Yes
Do you ever put on the radio to hear Radiohead being played?
No
If you were in the car with your girlfriend, would you think Radiohead is in any way acceptable?
Yes, it was my wife that got me in to Radiohead
Would you ever talk to your mates about the latest Radiohead album?
Yes, do every time there's a new one
Can Radiohead do heartfelt ballads that capture the emotion of life in three minutes?
Radiohead are far more adept at capturing emotion as Take That

I'm pretty sure the answer will always be no. Radiohead could smack me in the face and I wouldn't know it was them, and there is a reason for that. For some pleb to then describe them as having the best song of the last 15 years is outrageous.

Three points;
1) Just because you don't agree with something doesn't make it an invalid opinion. Equally just because I don't agree with you doesn't make yours invalid.
2) An artist being 'popular' doesn't necessarily make it good, and nor does being unpopular make it bad. You could take Rebecca Black and Radiohead as two contrasting examples if you like.
3) It was a blatent fishing trip because this is a list compiled by the NME. If they'd put Take That in there it would only have been to be controversial (which is why JLS feature). It would be the equivalent of me complaining when 'The Suburbs' by Arcade Fire don't get voted into the top 10 albums of 2010 by Teen Choice or Smash Hits.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Why do they produce lists like this when music is such a personal thing?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here