Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NME list the top 20 songs of the last 15 years

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
And am I the only person who likes latter day Arctic Monkeys/Alex Turner as opposed to the childishness of their debut album?

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Isn't it funny how you reach a certain age and then interest in contemporary music starts to wane and then eventually, you lose all interest and revert back to the music of your formative years.
Is it because you were more impressionable and they had a bigger impact on you. Occasionally you hear a recent song and think..." thats not bad " but you still prefer to listen to songs from your era.
I don't know any of these songs in this list and yes, I do listen to " oldies " all the time. I think most people must be like this but if there is anyone out there in their 40's or 50's who has moved forward with the music and likes recent as much as old, then I for one would like to hear from them.
ts

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I don't think it's too bad a list, though 14 & 15 are a bit odd.

1. Radiohead – 'Paranoid Android'
2. Arcade Fire – 'Rebellion (Lies)'
3. Outkast – 'Hey Ya!'
4. The Strokes – 'Last Nite'
5. The Killers – 'Mr. Brightside'
6. The White Stripes – 'Fell In Love With A Girl'
7. Hot Chip – 'Over And Over'
8. Amy Winehouse – 'Rehab'
9. The Verve – 'Bittersweet Symphony'
10. The Libertines – 'Time For Heroes'
11. Arctic Monkeys – 'I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor'
12. MGMT – 'Time To Pretend'
13. Jay –Z & Alicia Keys – 'Empire State Of Mind'
14. Foals – 'Spanish Sahara'
15. JLS-'Beat Again'
16. Beyoncé – 'Crazy In Love'
17. Missy Elliot – 'Get Ur Freak On'
18. Queens Of The Stone Age – 'No One Knows'
19. Justice Vs. Simian – 'We Are Your Friends'
20. Bloc Party – 'Banquet'

Pretty decent list, although I certainly wouldn't agree with all of it. Unfortunately they've picked quite a few bands most well-known (as preferred to best) songs.

I don't like Hot Chip or MGMT so I'd take them off there, I'd definitely have an LCD Soundsystem track in there somewhere. I'd pick one of the early Foals tracks above Spanish Sahara (maybe Mathletics?). JLS can f*** right off (although saying that I've no idea what the song's like). I don't think I know the Justice vs Simian song either.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
There are a disturbingly high number of songs on that list that I actually like, eek!

To say they are the best of the 15 years is purely subjective though. Still given that it was the NME that compiled it's a decent little playlist.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
but if there is anyone out there in their 40's or 50's who has moved forward with the music and likes recent as much as old, then I for one would like to hear from them.
ts

Er, me? Wrong side of 40 and I listen to a lot of new music and probably go to more gigs now than I have ever done. Living in Brighton makes this easier than when I lived in London. I saw PlanningToRock on Monday and am seeing Apparat on Sunday and I have about 7 others lined up..mainly new bands). I have Cashier Number 9 playing right now on the office CD.

Ponce Mohammed Buzzer is even more prolific with his appetite for new music. There are others on here as well.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Hey that's a list of some good songs but really, isn't making this list pointless.

Generates them publicity by people saying how rubbish the list is!

Remember when they did their Top 5 albums ever, it was about a week after Artic Monkeys released their first album and somehow that made it into their Top 5 ever

Last edited:

Gus is god

Banned
Sep 9, 2011
Some of them i never heard of, pretty shit list

Monsieur Wabee

Apr 30, 2009
Cowfold
None of us should really question the list as anyone connected to the NME is a much superior person to the rest of us mortals. Look how great they are.....they can chuck in acts like JLS and Missy Elliot and yet they still remain cool because they're the NME. They should keep their opinions to themselves! The NME has always been about spineless Indie toss, stick to what you know guys. Bring back Melody Maker and Sounds I say!!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Pretty decent list, although I certainly wouldn't agree with all of it. Unfortunately they've picked quite a few bands most well-known (as preferred to best) songs.

I don't like Hot Chip or MGMT so I'd take them off there, I'd definitely have an LCD Soundsystem track in there somewhere. I'd pick one of the early Foals tracks above Spanish Sahara (maybe Mathletics?). JLS can f*** right off (although saying that I've no idea what the song's like). I don't think I know the Justice vs Simian song either.

I'm surprised LCD are not in the list. Band of the decade for me. James Murphy man of the decade. His Greenburg score is a change in direction but just as good as anything he did in LCD. Dont like Hot Chip? Are you insane? Foals, a very overrated band. First album was great, second is very disposable. I got bored with it within about 2 listens.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
[yt]Fln8TBK78hk[/yt]

This (I get The Byrds and Beck from this)

I'm surprised LCD are not in the list. Band of the decade for me. James Murphy man of the decade. His Greenburg score is a change in direction but just as good as anything he did in LCD. Dont like Hot Chip? Are you insane? Foals, a very overrated band. First album was great, second is very disposable. I got bored with it within about 2 listens.

To be fair I've only listened to the first Hot Chip album, couldn't bring myself to listen to any more. I also saw them live at Benicassim and while they were energetic I just found them a bit overly simplistic. Maybe I should give them another listen see if my opinion has changed.

I strongly disagree wrt Foals. I loved their early singles, thought the first album was very average (the singles were overly simplistic and the other songs just a bit dreary), but really like the second album.

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
And am I the only person who likes latter day Arctic Monkeys/Alex Turner as opposed to the childishness of their debut album?

no, my wife's and her mate aagree with you for sure but I prefer the debut still, imature lyricism or not - going to see them in January, can't wait, never seen 'em before....

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
The top 20 songs from the last 15 years have all been sung by this hunk of man meat, in fact, make that the top 100 songs since 1977

Mark-E-Smith-001.jpg

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
any music list that has JL-f***ing-S in cannot be taken seriously

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here