Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nights out in Brighton on the Late 70s - Early 80s

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Theres one club that seems to be off everyones nightclub radar, that was popular with many of the Brighton team in the early 80's, invaribly led by Steve Foster.

'Scottys' started I think in the Kingsway Hove, what is now or was called Bombay Bar, but either transfered or was added with Scottys in one of the arches on the seafront.

The guy who owned it was ermmm called Scotty and was mates with many of the players of the time.

Scottys used to be under a block of flats...great starting point...also Kings 2 at the market and a gutbuster special at the market diner after closing.

Remember seeing both Lawrenson and Case crawling up the stairs at Kings 2 on a early sunday morning absolutely slaughtered

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Was buzby's previously The Revolution? this was a dingy, dark disco, the entrance was on the seafront side of Kingswest and you went downstairs. Played lots of disco & funk. Plastic glasses, flashing lighs, smell of plastic. All very tacky but it was the venue for a Friday night.

Anyone in the Rev the night about a million Millwall fans went mental throwing chairs at the spirit bottles and smashing everything in sight...absolute carnage

jkw

Oct 19, 2008
Where was the Top Rank (suite) ? Anyone remember it ?
Entrance was in West St that's where I had my first dance with my wife, 31 years later we are still married, we used to go there after going to the Marlborough in Princes Street, this after meeting in the Royal Hussar
Oh hapy days :afro: :whisky: :afro: :drink: :afro: :whisky: :afro:

Haven't been on here in a while - mate of mine put me onto the thread and couldn't resist.....
The Inn Place - where the big hotel thing is now on the sea front near the Queens Hotel. Used to have a live band upstairs and the drummer used to sit in the window.

Papillon, The Abinger, Revolution under the Kingswest and the Top Rank Suite (Saw aTriple bill of Slade, Suzi Quatro and Thin Lizzy in there for about £1.25 entrance fee - just after decimalisation I think it was). Also saw Heatwave in there as I recall...

I still go occasionally to the Pump House, lads I used to play football and work with still meet up there every few months to talk tosh and relive the old memories. I'm sure the Druids Head and The Pump House are about the only ones left that still have the same name as they did back then! That's why we go there, everyone still knows what it's called!

Remember Jubilee Day? 1977. My mate kept getting stopped for photos as he had a Union Jack painted on his face. We started off at the Pump House (Tuborg Red Label!) as the Pav Tav didn't open until 11, lightweights! ("We All Love Price Phillip, He's The Man...........")

The Queen Anne at the bottom of West Street and Sherrys (The Showplace of the South!). What time did we get kicked out of there? About 1 am?? Used to have a rubberburger and chips thrown in for the entrance fee if you wanted to have a bar after about 12 I think I recall.

Bus down to town and then start in the Lamb and Flag for a quick one before heading down to Deryck Carver, Heneckeys, Druids, Sussex and occasionally the Pickwick.
Blimey, If I had as much to drink in a week now what I'd go through in a night out I'd be off work for, well, the rest of me life, probably!

Last edited:

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Haven't been on here in a while - mate of mine put me onto the thread and couldn't resist.....
The Inn Place - where the big hotel thing is now on the sea front near the Queens Hotel. Used to have a live band upstairs and the drummer used to sit in the window.

Papillon, The Abinger, Revolution under the Kingswest and the Top Rank Suite (Saw aTriple bill of Slade, Suzi Quatro and Thin Lizzy in there for about £1.25 entrance fee - just after decimalisation I think it was). Also saw Heatwave in there as I recall...

I still go occasionally to the Pump House, lads I used to play football and work with still meet up there every few months to talk tosh and relive the old memories. I'm sure the Druids Head and The Pump House are about the only ones left that still have the same name as they did back then! That's why we go there, everyone still knows what it's called!

Remember Jubilee Day? 1977. My mate kept getting stopped for photos as he had a Union Jack painted on his face. We started off at the Pump House (Tuborg Red Label!) as the Pav Tav didn't open until 11, lightweights! ("We All Love Price Phillip, He's The Man...........")

The Queen Anne at the bottom of West Street and Sherrys (The Showplace of the South!). What time did we get kicked out of there? About 1 am?? Used to have a rubberburger and chips thrown in for the entrance fee if you wanted to have a bar after about 12 I think I recall.

Bus down to town and then start in the Lamb and Flag for a quick one before heading down to Deryck Carver, Heneckeys, Druids, Sussex and occasionally the Pickwick.
Blimey, If I had as much to drink in a week now what I'd go through in a night out I'd be off work for, well, the rest of me life, probably!

the family who run the spanish in saltdean left and took over the deryk carver in the early eighties.

the fella who took over the spanish was an an ex lincoln city player who banged on about playing against tony woodcock at forest, nothing to add to the thread apart from that.....

D

Deleted User X18H

Who remembers the Bar at The Odeon something like The Kingswest Bar!!??

D

Deleted User X18H

The Bar under Kebab Shop in Western Road Hove was THE Banana Bar some licensing restriction meant the owner didn't charge an admission fee,

The place along the Kingsway frequented by Fozzie was then The West End Cafe then the 0273 Bar then The (dreadful) Island and now Babylon Lounge. I lived opposite in Girton House and sadly I am, sorry to say along with other residents got an injunction to get The Island to reduce their hours. Don't know who started the fire though.

hbh1

Jan 5, 2009
What the last few said!!

Remember it all well- Do you remember Captain Submarines!!!!!

Microwaved Salami and cheese long rolls that made your stomach feel even worse the next morning after 10 pints of sherbert.

Does anyone remember that place (well portacabin) down by the Palace pier that let you in whatever you were wearing and only was allowed to be open till 2pm because it served food (well a basket of chips). I think it was the Balaton or something. There was always about 30 fights a night in there every night.

Mmm, Captain Submarines! The 1st time I ever had a pastrami and gherkin torpedo roll! I thought it was quite tasty at the time!

33057 Seagull

May 22, 2004
Over the border in Southwick
A nostalgia thread.

The Volunteer
Shades
The Sussex
The Druids Head
The Deryck Carver
Hennekeys
Busbys or Pink Coconut.

Exactly the same but different order and delete Busbys/Pink Coconut for The Hungry Years or the Northern.

The guy on the organ in Hennekeys; we took the piss out of. Underage a dozen of us bursting into a pub and realising there were 50p bits stuck to the floor and beating a hasty retreat and the night I stole the mayor's condom, but that is another story

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Our Friday nights were as follows:

Meet at the William 1V
Then down to Shades
Then to the Sussex
on to The Pump House
On to Derek carver
On to Black Horse(?)
Finishing up in Smugglers or Henneckys on Ship Street

Now our Friday nights are Strictly Come Dancing

:down::down::down::down:

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
My Friday's were all pretty samey mid 80s'...
Dyke Tavern
Brighton Rock (on West St)
Frock and Jacket(?)
Revolution
The Savannah
Market Diner

D

Deleted User X18H

My Friday's were all pretty samey mid 80s'...
Dyke Tavern
Brighton Rock (on West St)
Frock and Jacket(?)
Revolution
The Savannah
Market Diner

Good call !

Railway Tavern
Brighton Rock
Swifts
Top Rank Suite or
Busby's/Oriana's
Kasbah (Western Road) for a Kebab or if you were lucky some treacles flat.

maxijo

Nov 12, 2011
My friend and I used to hitchhike from Portsmouth to Brighton every Friday night to go to the In Place and would love to know where it was as I am always looking out for it whenever I come to Brighton. Great memories. I have recollections of it being on the seafront on a corner of a street in a basement, but as it was the late seventies can't really remember. Did anyone else go there around this time 77-79?

maxijo

Nov 12, 2011
Where was the In place? used to go there all the time in the late seventies but cant remember where it was, help?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here