Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nights out in Brighton on the Late 70s - Early 80s

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
who did you all knock about with in the early / mid 70s ? i bet loads of us will know the same people etc, as I read so many of these posts others are mentioning places that i went to around the same time.

I am really surprised no one has mentioned Mark Abraham (I mentioned him in an earlier post) he was really well known at the Revolution and clubs / pubs around Brighton in the early / mid 70s.

The Hungry Years, but only the once

King and Queen and Shades mostly and I had the misfortune to work in Jenkinson's briefly[/QUOTE

Nowt wrong with "The Years" - excellent music from my long forgotten "headbanger" days. Where else would you see a group in evening dress and bow ties playing air guitars (I did once).

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
toppers was the name given to the club "upstairs" at fagans. the ground floor was the really smart cocktail bar where you took a woman to impress, and the basement bar was where you went to pull, if i can be so politically incorrect!
toppers upstairs, rumours downstairs, jay abatan was on the door there, good bloke .

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Mrs Granny Weatherwax in her youth belonged to a cabaret dancing troupe thing ( no funny stuff obviously) and they used to do the cabaret at Club Papillion ( I think it was under the Royal Albion Hotel)?

Does anyone remember the Papillon

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Remember it all well- Do you remember Captain Submarines!!!!!

Microwaved Salami and cheese long rolls that made your stomach feel even worse the next morning after 10 pints of sherbert.

:lol:

Used to :love: Captain Submarines - a tasty foot-long treat to be sure. The shop was up East Street by the Town Hall if memory serves.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Theres one club that seems to be off everyones nightclub radar, that was popular with many of the Brighton team in the early 80's, invaribly led by Steve Foster.

'Scottys' started I think in the Kingsway Hove, what is now or was called Bombay Bar, but either transfered or was added with Scottys in one of the arches on the seafront.

The guy who owned it was ermmm called Scotty and was mates with many of the players of the time.

Jambo Seagull

Jul 18, 2003
The Athens of the North
Mahjong (sp?) club in Middle Street ? The all day/night Snooker club with card sharks, and various reprobates lurking quietley in the corners!

If that is the snooker club right at the bottom of Middle Street, I remember it well! Used to see loads of knocker boys etc in there with wads of cash in their front jean pockets the like of which I could only dream of.

What was the pub called which was immediately across the road from it? i know Hennekeys was in the vicinity but I've got in mind a much smaller more "intimate"pub - which was pretty grotty iirc.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
If that is the snooker club right at the bottom of Middle Street, I remember it well! Used to see loads of knocker boys etc in there with wads of cash in their front jean pockets the like of which I could only dream of.

What was the pub called which was immediately across the road from it? i know Hennekeys was in the vicinity but I've got in mind a much smaller more "intimate"pub - which was pretty grotty iirc.

:thumbsup:

Yep thats the one, hidden way up the alleyway - high proportion of oriental's in there i thought tho?
Served very odd handmade sandwiches i recall..

Can't recall pub at the time but did it become 'The Squid and Starfish' ?

csider

Dec 11, 2006
Hove

The Seahouse................:lolol:

Many a night pissed in there at 15-16yrs old before going to Coasters with my free entry from the Argus.

amandasunshine1

Mar 1, 2009
Yes, I remember Marc Abraham!

Hi there,

What a trip down dancefloor memory lane! I was living in Brighton from 1971 - 1976 and remember hanging out at the Suite (when I could get in - I was 13)... My sister and I used to go there on Saturday afternoons, after ice skating. We then graduated to the Inn Place which was my favourite club ever - a smelly, beer-soaked dive where the toilet queue and the bar queue mingled into one, via the ever-packed dancefloor... I've been to many clubs in many countries since then but will never forget the happy times I had there - anyone got any memories they'd like to share?

I remember Marc Abraham well, he was mates with my friend Suze. My favourite memory of him is when he was doing some flash complicated move on the dancefloor at the Suite - all eyes were on him - when he caught his toe in the hem of his white oxford bags and over he went on his arse, arms and legs flailing about like a dying bug! Ever cool, he hopped back up and carried on dancing as if nothing had happened - this was circa 1973 so I reckon he invented break dancing... He would!! By the way, whatever happened to him?

Would love to hear any memories/anecdotes from that time, those places...

Joe Nobody

Dec 27, 2008
Hove
If ever we were doing the pubs in Queens Road we would stop in a pub on the corner of Queens Road and Upper Gloucester Road. Now demolished where the crossing is. I remember it as feathers but it may have been called something different? It had a large bar at the back with pool tables. Good for a few pints before joining the crowds further into town.

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
i used to like the 'hungry years'.
its still there but its errrrrrr.........changed?

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
And we all went down to the esplanade, where the lager tastes like lemonade,
All the boys were dressed up fine, All the girls were dancing in a line....

Getting Beaten Up, Piranhas. 77-78ish.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
anyone used to go in nellie pecks then swifts before the pink helmet (coconut)? remember rory the dj in coasters ?

Swifts was an absolute must before the Pink Coconut in those days...mind you I was around for Sherrys before that. Used to frequent Bentleys nightclub at the top of west st as well on a regular basis especially midweek

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here