Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nights out in Brighton on the Late 70s - Early 80s

mesquitta

Dec 9, 2008
Does anybody remember the "Place" in Lancing it was in South Street of wooden construction, it had a resident DJ plus a visiting band on certain evenings. It's a shame these great venues like the discos in Worthing have all been pulled down to make way for houses - Oh the good old days! - BUZZ

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Does anybody remember the "Place" in Lancing it was in South Street of wooden construction, it had a resident DJ plus a visiting band on certain evenings. It's a shame these great venues like the discos in Worthing have all been pulled down to make way for houses - Oh the good old days! - BUZZ

Ah the Place in Lancing. Took a mate there after he had just found out that his wife was going to leave him for another guy. Guess who was the first person we bumped into at the bar. Whack. It seemed ok for the 5 mins we were in there.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
BoF

"I thought it was called Caps? Closed down now, which is a shame. Had some fun evenings there in early noughties".

Are you sure you are not getting confused with caps and "Cop".
Such as "cops and robbers" night down The Revenge?? ???

Yes. And when I say yes, I mean no. Never been to the Revenge, but I would not be against going. The opportunity has never arisen.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I was frequenting these wonderful places from 76 to mid 80's

Great nights pulling (or trying to) in Sherrys, Busby's and Mr K's as well as Grab-a-granny nights in The Suite and Jenkinsons - always had trouble getting into Jenks as they were over 25's mostly.

Oh happy days ....
or even Marvelous Scenes

hbh1

Jan 5, 2009
nights out in the early '80s

christ, i must have been in the same places at the same time as most of the posters on here! our normal saturdays started off at the sea-house to play pool upstairs, then on to fagans (basement bar) to try to get off with someone, then maybe onto buzby's (or the metro before that - anyone remember it?) if we were feeling flush. fridays were normally at the fortunes of war to listen to some blues and drink some strong ale! sometimes we'd go to stenos for a coffee and try to cadge a lift home or up to a private party somewhere.

alternative venues were william iv (from the age of about 13), shades, hennekys, and plenty of bhasvic parties at the hungry years.

i had my 18th in the new regent at the bottom of west street.

in the early years, we'd sometimes start off at a place called valmonella's (now cafe rouge opposite the town hall) where they did doubles + mixer for 80p before 7.00pm - my first happy hour!

in the summer, foreign students' nights at the top rank were a laugh.....

great memories!

hbh1

Jan 5, 2009
Snoopies ? that was up that way or close by.

wasn't snoopys an under 18 disco at the bottom of dyke road? i used to go there loads until a mate of mine got whacked by one of the brighton 'lions' (fore-runners of the west street firm).....

hbh1

Jan 5, 2009
I think Lords was just off the footpath under Grubbs Burgers and the pub called Nan Tuts (for a while) near Palmeira Square

The one under the kebab shop further towards Brighton had a name that began with 'S' I think

yep, that was lords (and then lords 2) alright. back in the days when shakey & sarah had the brunswick, down the road. i used to play in a band that played both venues quite a few times.....

hbh1

Jan 5, 2009
Think some dates and recolections have got mixed up here, as Busby's wasn't late 70's early 80's..Coasters was there till about '86 - saw Big Audio Dynamite there as a 15 y/old wearing paisley shirt and my G Villas Trainers how cool was i..?!

I remember Toppers, The Belvedere, and Monty's in Montpelier St too..

Where was Sister Rays's ? name rings a bell..

i beg to differ on this one. before buzbys became buzby's it used to be called the metro. it was still the best nightclub i can ever remember going in. it became buzbys in early 1981 - over 20s, and i had the claim to fame that i was one of only 4 kids from my school who got in on the opening saturday, even though i was only 16! it became oceania after it was buzby's sometime in the 90s, i think.

coasters used to be jenkinsons (i can't put a year on when it changed) - a massive bar-nightclub that regularly had good bands (in both venues). i was big into reggae at the time, and both jenkinsons and top rank used to get some great names including black slate, black uhuru, steel pulse etc etc. i also saw boy george in there sometime.....

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I saw Black Uhuru at the Top Rank, and it was mostly WASP's having a good time. I then, three weeks later saw Black Uhuru at the Brixtan Academy and there was only three white guys in there and I was one of them.....

It was a good evening as our group included a bloke who it turned out was a local record producer who I played cricket with so we didnt get any hassle.

I remember seeing Shabba Ranks I think that was at Hammersmith where some guy pulled a gun out and the place went mental. Very Scary night that was

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
In the early 80's we always used to meet at Shades' 8pm then visitsome or all of the following: Pump House, Golden Fleece, Bath Arms, William IV. There was also one in East Street leading up to the lanes, before the Pump House. And another one in Queens Road near what is now the Seagull Shop.

We then ued to head home, or if we had no females with us, we'd go down to the Pink Coconut. I remember seeing Marmalade there one night. Rory was the (very gay) DJ there - I remember he did his own video that he showed when he played 'Last night a DJ saved my life'

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
In the early 80's we always used to meet at Shades' 8pm then visitsome or all of the following: Pump House, Golden Fleece, Bath Arms, William IV. There was also one in East Street leading up to the lanes, before the Pump House. And another one in Queens Road near what is now the Seagull Shop.

We then ued to head home, or if we had no females with us, we'd go down to the Pink Coconut. I remember seeing Marmalade there one night. Rory was the (very gay) DJ there - I remember he did his own video that he showed when he played 'Last night a DJ saved my life'

I thought Rory was "coasters"

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Clarences ( Claridges ) first pub that did a jug of lager, start of the Lanes from North Street in the mix.

Valmonellas, upstairs was a cocktail bar in about 1981, where the old Frock and Jacket was.

Chatanoogas next to the old West Street Uncle Sams for a pizza and a runner about 2.30pm.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here