Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Nigel Farage and Reform

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Just because Farage keeps implying (when not stating explicitly) that weak traitor parties are doing Britain down does NOT mean that Britain is shit and/or in decline. As for the threat to recovery posed by woke lefties....

We have had a sequence of poor PMs and a government populated by oddballs, thickos, venal carpetbaggers and gaslighting shits, but that doesn't mean the country is rubbish.

It seems that some who reject Farage have nevertheless bought into his negative bullshit.

It will take a lot of work to undo the harm inflicted by austerity and Brexit, but we can do it :shrug:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I mean people continue to believe Farage 8 years on from one of the biggest lies told in political history, so why not?

Although, it’s probably more a case of the truth - that Reform attracts racists - is very uncomfortable for people that like to think they aren’t racist.
It is very much as you say. But, sadly, I think people who are racist can give vent now thanks to the bile and hatred started by Pritti Patel, amplified by Braverman and repeated by Farage. Recently we had new near neighbours move in and while talking to Mrs V came up with the classic..." We're not racists but....." when moaning about the state of the country.

There has been hours and hours and pages and pages of broadcasts speeches and newspaper articles dedicated to the drip drip drip of dilute racism covering numerous social ills. There's always someone to blame, someone to hate, but it's never the people who presided over austerity and the cuts and underinvestment in our services.

This is where we are now. Racism is normalised.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
It is very much as you say. But, sadly, I think people who are racist can give vent now thanks to the bile and hatred started by Pritti Patel, amplified by Braverman and repeated by Farage. Recently we had new near neighbours move in and while talking to Mrs V came up with the classic..." We're not racists but....." when moaning about the state of the country.

There has been hours and hours and pages and pages of broadcasts speeches and newspaper articles dedicated to the drip drip drip of dilute racism covering numerous social ills. There's always someone to blame, someone to hate, but it's never the people who presided over austerity and the cuts and underinvestment in our services.

Do you think it's a by product of Brexit?

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton

I read that as "racism is nationalised". Which also works, frankly

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Not in my network it isn't. Anyone visiting our place and coming out with racism is likely to find Mrs T tipping them through the patio doors head first (the doors being open merely optional).

I do think that increasing numbers of people imagine their racism is not racism, though.

And also, it is very confusing for dim people to process an invitation to engage with racism made by people like Pritti Patel, and Sue Ellen Braverman. It is more a sort of racism of convenience rather than the stark white supremacism of the BNP and NF.

What they could be saying is "I am of course racist, but I don't hate everyone who looks a bit different, or all Muslims. And that. In fact I don't really understand my own racism, but I do firmly believe in it". And then, if they were to manage such articulation....it may dawn on them that their stance is nonsense.

So when will @Giraffe reappear to justify his support for Farage? Is he sitting in a darkened room muttering "Am I racist? I don't feel racist. Or do I? It is all so confusing".

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I think Brexit was the result of " Racism Lite " . The ills of the country were blamed on Polish plumbers, Romanian fruit pickers and Portuguese waiting staff etc etc. Leaving the EU would get rid of all the foreigners that were undercutting our wages while living the high life on benefits.
When we left the EU and there was no improvement ( inevitably for many of us ) there had to be someone else to blame..that's when it ramped up..it was the migrants who " Don't understand our values" that were to blame...that extended when Farage said that " Rishi Sunak does not understand our culture " after the Commemoration of D-Day when Sunak left early.... What Farage effectively said was that even the Prime Minister of the UK was fair game for racism. The gloves were off.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020

For some people, inevitably. You could also argue that for others, the racism already existed, which would also be true.

But Brexit also facilitated the racism. Brexit encouraged it. Unleashed it. Legitimised it. Becoming racist became mainstream, normalised, and an acceptable viewpoint.
According to the polls. at least 16% of voters will be voting for a racist party. That has never happened before.

What do you think was the intention of the catchy phrase 'take back control'?
It harvested the votes of millions of low achievers, by implying that we had lost control of our borders, and all the implications.
Want a pay rise? Want to see a doctor? Want your child to have a place at the local school? Stop the immigrants.

Result: no need to spend what was needed on the NHS, or schools. Blame immigration instead. The punters swallowed it. Incredibly, some of them still do.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
For some people, inevitably. You could also argue that for others, the racism already existed, which would also be true.

But Brexit also facilitated the racism. Brexit encouraged it. Unleashed it. Legitimised it. Becoming racist became mainstream, normalised, and an acceptable viewpoint.
According to the polls. at least 16% of voters will be voting for a racist party. That has never happened before.

It harvested the votes of millions of low achievers, by implying that we had lost control of our borders, and all the implications.
Want a pay rise? Want to see a doctor? Want your child to have a place at the local school? Stop the immigrants.

Result: no need to spend what was needed on the NHS, or schools. Blame immigration instead. The punters swallowed it. Incredibly, some of them still do.

Interesting to point out that some Conservative MP's were behind the original launch of that slogan

The slogan was present from the launch of the Vote Leave campaign at its headquarters on 20 February 2016, at which John Whittingdale, Theresa Villiers, Michael Gove, Chris Grayling, Iain Duncan Smith and Priti Patel posed behind a banner reading "let's take back control".

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

This is pretty much what I was trying to say earlier, but, you have absolutely nailed it ! 👍

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Interesting to point out that some Conservative MP's were behind the original launch of that slogan

The slogan was present from the launch of the Vote Leave campaign at its headquarters on 20 February 2016, at which John Whittingdale, Theresa Villiers, Michael Gove, Chris Grayling, Iain Duncan Smith and Priti Patel posed behind a banner reading "let's take back control".
I see @vegster strapline reads as follows:

" The day after we vote to leave, we hold all the cards " Gove, M. 19/4/2016

(Not one of my favourite politicians, Mr. Gove is stepping down at the election. Evidently he took back control, but holding all the cards, had so much control that it was all a bit too much for him. I wish him well in his retirement.)

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Anyone remember that odd Lim Dem Lembit Öpik, the one dated a "cheeky girl" ?

Appears to have morphed politically into something quite different and spends most days supporting Reform (and related "causes") on Twitter.

He has also written, directed and co-produced a film, that on the basis of this trailer looks an absolute blockbuster.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here