Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nigel Cloughes comments tonight.....

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Wow! I'm surprised to here you say that. I know we hardly ever see eye to eye, but I had more respect for you than that comment suggests maybe I should,

You don't seriously expect us to win every game do you? We will lose games, we will draw games. What sort of sequence would you be happy with?

I agree with you on that that a lot of it has to do with confidence.

But Gus has said many times he doesn't believe in confidence effecting performance hasn't he. Maybe thats somewhere he could start looking for an answer :lol:

P.S. Not a good example to use Southampton. I recall the referee helped us out on that one!

What, by sending our captain off and forcing us to finish the game with 10 men? :wink:

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
What, by sending our captain off and forcing us to finish the game with 10 men? :wink:
What sending our captain off with 3 minutes to go when we were 3-0 up, yer made a big different, or are you mistaking it with sending their danger man off just after the half time break when the score was 0-0 :wink:

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Im very happy with where we are in the table. And I knew there would be drops in form. No worries right now.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
What sending our captain off with 3 minutes to go when we were 3-0 up, yer made a big different, or are you mistaking it with sending their danger man off just after the half time break when the score was 0-0 :wink:

My wink was meant to imply I understood your point and was saying that with my tongue firmly in cheek.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
If Nigel Clough had a different surname Derby would have sacked him long ago.

I don't think so - He's done what was asked of him, keep everything stable while dramatically reducing the wage bill. Focus on bringing in players from the academy and provide the club with a sound base to move forward. I'm not saying I'm 100% behind the way the budget has continued to be slashed, but you can't point the finger at Clough for that.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
You should see Clough's comments as a sign of respect, as a compliment if you will. It's clear that he didn't think that we could 'outplay' Brighton, especially after a tough week leading up to the game.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
We are getting closer to being a very very good side. I am though a little disappointed in the last day transfers deal players although I reckon Dobbie will come good. Neither Orlandi or Lopez really wanted to have a go at the full backs yesterday.
I wonder if CMS could play with Dobbie upfront. I think Gus was happy with the point yesterday because he didn't gamble with bringing KLL on when the game looked open enough for him. If we can have Buckley, CMS and Vicente fit for the remainder of the season then we will have a say in things.

Forget having Vicente fit for the rest of the season . If he does get back it will be for a few games at best . Thats just the player he is and you can see why A) no big team in spain came in for him and B) no big team in UK .

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
You pusgh me for an answer, I'll push you for one as you are not answering it.

How long do you think Bloom will give Poyet if this continues into November or even December judging by the up coming fixtures??

How long would you give Poyet if this runs continues?

We went 10 without a win last season, and no one questioned him.

We then went another 10 without a win last season and he still wasn't questioned.

We are at the early stages of another potential winless streak? So when are we allowed to start questioning it?

The reason he isn't questioned is people can see the bigger picture!

We wont go that long without a win, so I can't see it being a problem. As to your replacement you want possibly the best manager in the UK who is currently managing a top 3 premiership side which will never happen and you can not give any other suggestions. The truth is you wont find a better younger manager than Poyet who will give you instance and constant success (which is what you are looking for). Don't forget if we do get promoted this season we will lose more than we will win, so please can I ignore you if this happens :lol: :wink:

This is my point, we are Brighton not Real Madrid. We have a great young manager doing extremely well and constantly improving, some time you can't win every game. We have the Acadamy coming on now, things are good, enjoy them!!

I would and I can pretty much be sure Bloom would also back Poyet, if we are struggling come December then I am sure they will sit down and look at who else they need to improve the squad come the January transfer window and not a knee jerk reaction and sack the bloke.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
The reason he isn't questioned is people can see the bigger picture!

We wont go that long without a win, so I can't see it being a problem. As to your replacement you want possibly the best manager in the UK who is currently managing a top 3 premiership side which will never happen and you can not give any other suggestions. The truth is you wont find a better younger manager than Poyet who will give you instance and constant success (which is what you are looking for). Don't forget if we do get promoted this season we will lose more than we will win, so please can I ignore you if this happens :lol: :wink:

This is my point, we are Brighton not Real Madrid. We have a great young manager doing extremely well and constantly improving, some time you can't win every game. We have the Acadamy coming on now, things are good, enjoy them!!

I would and I can pretty much be sure Bloom would also back Poyet, if we are struggling come December then I am sure they will sit down and look at who else they need to improve the squad come the January transfer window and not a knee jerk reaction and sack the bloke.
If it comes to December and we haven't won a game, I think Tony Bloom will be sitting down with Poyet, but it won't be to discuss transfer targets. Seriously, you would still want him in charge if we haven't won by December!!!!

Let hope it don't happen and we tonk Middlesbrough, but really you wouldn't want a change if we went on another 10 game winless streak....... its thats the case, I don't think you'll be getting what you want.

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
If it comes to December and we haven't won a game, I think Tony Bloom will be sitting down with Poyet, but it won't be to discuss transfer targets. Seriously, you would still want him in charge if we haven't won by December!!!!

Let hope it don't happen and we tonk Middlesbrough, but really you wouldn't want a change if we went on another 10 game winless streak....... its thats the case, I don't think you'll be getting what you want.

Mr Burns, a lot of your comments show a lot of disrespect to the rest of the teams in The Championship. I don't understand it. You don't really factor in other teams into the equation at all. If we win then we have met your expectations, if we lose/draw then we are rubbish and it is Poyet's fault. Nothing to do with other teams actually being good, having quality players and defending/playing to a very high standard?

I believe something like 20 out of the 24 teams in the Championship have been in The Premiership. We are one of the teams that haven't. I believe the aptly demonstrates the class of team that we are up against, every single week.

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003

To be honest it is not something that has ever entered my mind. But to answer the question, seriously, yes. I appreciate what he is doing, I can see that he clearly knows the game very well and is building something big here. I am more concerned we will lose him to a bigger club than him being sacked.

Lets leave this one and discuss again in December, I hope we are up in the mix still and I can ask you to stop worrying about things that might not happen :wink:

Regarding Middlesborough, I wouldn't mind Marvin Emnes in our squad.

BrianSwan

Apr 15, 2012
Mr Burns doesn't seem to realise the Championship is like that! Winning and losing runs are very frequent.

Should have seen us 2 seasons ago, we scored like 50 goals the entire season but played great football. The fans still knew though we was going in the right way developing and building our system.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've been thinking about this, a lot, today.

For me it's the manner of the points dropped V Brum and Ipswich.

I think I could accept it better, had we lost as we did v Brum, and then got spanked 3-0 by Ipswich.
I doubt I would even be questioning the results, because of the nature of this division, which is why I love being where we are.

The 'dropping' of 5 points in quick succession, in a very similar fashion, is the bit that has me scratching my chin.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
You could have said exactly the same thing after the Palace defeat last season. We're 5th in the league and we'll learn how to counter it. We haven't though have we. How much time does it take to learn. Its been a year since this started happening, and we haven't learnt. I dont care how we would have felt 5 years ago. This is 2012. We have signed players from Manchester City, Manchester United over the summer. The club are spending aiming for the premiership. We have two years to get there or the playing budget will be cut. Why do you think we are only handing out 2 year deals to the likes of Kuzczak? We need to go into the premiership this season or next season at the latest, otherwise looking back to where we were a few years ago, will all we will have to look forward to.

IMO this issue needs to be addressed sooner rather than later. Poyet has to get a "plan B" for lack of a better phrase, and have an althernative style of playing otherwise we are heading for a re-run of last year, and if you are happy with that, then fine.

But if we go on a ten game winless streak with few goals scored, as we did at the exact same peroid last season, and Poyet looks incapable of changing it, and serving up frankly mind numbing football along the way, as looks like being the case at the moment, then I think you will find a lot people a lot less forgiving this time around, and not just on the terrace!

But we arn't the same as last year, We have got results in games we shouldn't have (Watford for example) and look a more capable side all round. I don't think we will go on a ten game winless streak. In fact I'm so confident I'll offer a charity £10 to the winners charity? Not bad considering the teams we have coming up.

We look much more assured and I will add another £10 to said charity bet at the end of the year if we finish below our finishing position last year.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Mr Burns, a lot of your comments show a lot of disrespect to the rest of the teams in The Championship. I don't understand it. You don't really factor in other teams into the equation at all. If we win then we have met your expectations, if we lose/draw then we are rubbish and it is Poyet's fault. Nothing to do with other teams actually being good, having quality players and defending/playing to a very high standard?

I believe something like 20 out of the 24 teams in the Championship have been in The Premiership. We are one of the teams that haven't. I believe the aptly demonstrates the class of team that we are up against, every single week.
I apologise unreservidly to Birmingham and Ipswich then.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Mr Burns doesn't seem to realise the Championship is like that! Winning and losing runs are very frequent.

Should have seen us 2 seasons ago, we scored like 50 goals the entire season but played great football. The fans still knew though we was going in the right way developing and building our system.
I dont have a problem with us losing. Its the manner in which we do it, and the fact we now look like entering a third very baron patch in 13 months, and Poyet doesn't seem to be able to change it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here